The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Low Elco

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Ps- you still under Momma's radar?
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Ps- you still under Momma's radar?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, I broke the news to her a few weeks ago, and she was completely cool with it. She's that way, she understands. I was into cars long before we met, and she knows that I put aside my hobby for years to ensure that the bills were paid and that everybody in the family was taken care of. I don't hit the bars or stay out late, I get alot of stuff done around the house, or blow money frivolously. I told her that we needed a truck to use for errands and that I was building one from extra parts I had laying around

You can find the old style wheels if you hit the swapmeets, Craigslist, and even the recycling centers. Some fools only look at the wheel for it's aluminum value, and they'll take them to the local recycler. I bought a pair of Torq-Thrusts years ago from a recycler, who had them stashed in the corner. He made money on them, and he was happy to sell them. Finding them in 8.5" is relatively easy, as that was a very popular width. Finding the 10" ones in the old straight-spoke style is nearly impossible because only one company made them back in the '70s(Crestline). You can find them in the curved spoke style (i.e: Torq-Thrust "D"), but I'm not a big fan of that look. The straight spokes look "right" and have that vintage '60s look. It's easier to find the American Racing 200s (Daisy) wheels in 5x5 and the widths you need because they were really popular on the trucks and vans back in the '70s. I have a pair of 10" Daisys in 5x5 in my wheel stash that I bought years ago with the intent of putting them on a '73 C-10 but never used them.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
plainred65

Glad to see you're still at work on it, good progress. I agree, the wheels look at home!
plainred65 is offline   Reply With Quote