The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
jp2112

JP's 48 Build

I've been reading this site for about a year now, and finally I'm starting on my truck. My grandpa and dad bought this truck from my great uncle about 20 years ago. They were going to fix it up but lost interest. My pawpaw loves antique tractors, he's got about 22, and that's what got worked on. The truck sat out in the field where an apple tree fell on the hood and fender. It got moved to one of our old chicken houses, and when I was 8-9 it got a few dents from a .22

I didn't think to take pics until I had already tore into it, but the front clip is all thats missing.

You can see on the left background the S10 that I'll get the frame from. My pawpaw bought that new in 89 and pulled a pretty big 5th wheel camper all over the country with it. Its a 4cyl, 5 speed It's SWB but I'll move the front hanger and cut the frame.

My original plan was to make this truck dually and run a flat bed since this one don't have on but the frame is rusted through. It goes all the way past the front hanger. The bar that the parking brake attaches to is also rusted through. It is probably repairable, but the S10 was free.

jp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
jp2112

Re: JP's 48 Build

Once I got the front fenders off and removed the galvalume flashing the PO had used to cover the holes in the floor, I was pretty bummed. This things gonna need the floor pans replaced, passenger floor brace, inner and outer cowl panels, and rear cab corners.

I'm pretty sure at some point this used to be straight

The front passenger side of the cab is sitting about 2" lower than the driver's side.

The plans for it are going to be to drop in a 350. Not sure on what type of tranny I'll be using yet. My buddy has access to a very nice machine shop so we're gonna attempt to fab a bed up.

I have just started but already have a ton of questions, this is my first time doing body work or a frame swap.

Will 16ga sheet metal be alright for the floor? or should I use 14ga? Also would yall replace the inner cowl before the floor gets replaced or after?

Thanks,
JP
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
jp2112

Got a little bit done.

Floors, firewall, and kick panels patched. I used 16ga sheet metal and built a frame under the floor using some 1x1 tubing.

I got the cab off the old frame and flipped it on its back to weld in a little more bracing. I also need to make some rear cab mounts, since mine just has the single mount in the middle.

My buddy gave me this 350 with all new gaskets to go in. Just need to get her painted up now.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
jp2112

Got my frame from the s10 stripped

Also got the cab epoxy primed and the cab and front clip sitting were it needs to be. It was not fun to do by myself. I still have to make my cab mounts Monday.

I got one cab mount started Yesterday. I've got 4"x4"x1/4" tubing. I'm gonna have to take about an inch off the front mounts, because the cab narrows toward the front. I think 3"x4" will fit but I haven't had a chance to measure yet.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
dmack91

Looks like you are making quick progress. Keep up the good work.

With all the work you have done on the cab, have you tried to fit the doors back on yet? How the gaps line up will tell you how square it is. Might be a good idea to check before welding in the cab mounts.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote