The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
davepl

What are the 3/4 ton rear bumper options?

My '70 Sierra Grande Custom Camper (ie: 3/4 ton longhorn) has a rear step-style bumper. It's not diamond-plate, but some kind of traction surface. It's painted silver, however, and even though it wouldn't be original I'd like a chrome bumper.

It's not clear to me that the factory bumper would look that good chromed, for some reason. I'm wondering what my options are for a rear bumper... would a longhorn ever have a "regular" chrome rear bumper? Or was a chrome step bumper ever available?

If not, has anyone chromed an original step bumper, or are replacements available that look "period correct"?

Thanks!
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: What are the 3/4 ton rear bumper options?

Ive never seen a chrome factory or dealer option step bumper for our trucks from when they were new. I have seen plenty of later model chrome step bumpers added to our trucks though.

Personally they arent my style, but taking an original step bumper and having it chromed (expensive Im sure) might not look too bad.

I painted the one on my 71 K20 argent silver to match the grill and my mirror brackets
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

All 10-30 series pickups had the same bumper options. The regular bumper in paint or chrome that people have started calling sport bumpers in recent years,and painted step bumpers. I have seen chrome aftermarket step bumpers on these trucks over the years. What I like about the pre-73 step bumpers is they are actually "step" bumpers and from '73-on they really aren't. You can step on the later ones,so they are still a step. But,the pre-73 ones are 4" tall and "stepped down" 4" leaving room for your foot between the bumper and an opened tailgate. And,you have a "step" that is 4" lower...much more user friendly. Most truck guys these day are actually car guy converts who don't like real trucky stuff like step bumpers and functional mirrors on a truck. But these step bumpers are a nice period correct accessory that are unique to the earlier trucks. '72 step bumpers are one year-only. They are stamped steel,like the ones to follow,yet 4" tall vs 8". The '71-earlier are actually much tougher being made from 1/4" c-channel. I've been looking for a '72 step bumper perfect enough to chrome,to show just how good one can look. I think a 3/4t looks right with a step bumper,especially a 4wd. Sport bumpers look lean and clean and all that,but they scream "useless" to me on anything but a 2wd C/10. How the heck do you get in the bed? You didn't buy a 3/4t to have a car with a bed. You bought it for some sort of work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
cdowns

you can buy chrome stepbumpers in a number of different styles from JCWHITNEY that r quite reasonable and very similar to aftermarket dealer installed ones from back in the day
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
sir_talk_alot

I have one, its a chrome bumper, ill upload pics later. I'm actually selling it. But it'll give you an idea, its similar to factory.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
All 10-30 series pickups had the same bumper options. The regular bumper in paint or chrome that people have started calling sport bumpers in recent years,and painted step bumpers. I have seen chrome aftermarket step bumpers on these trucks over the years. What I like about the pre-73 step bumpers is they are actually "step" bumpers and from '73-on they really aren't. You can step on the later ones,so they are still a step. But,the pre-73 ones are 4" tall and "stepped down" 4" leaving room for your foot between the bumper and an opened tailgate. And,you have a "step" that is 4" lower...much more user friendly. Most truck guys these day are actually car guy converts who don't like real trucky stuff like step bumpers and functional mirrors on a truck. But these step bumpers are a nice period correct accessory that are unique to the earlier trucks. '72 step bumpers are one year-only. They are stamped steel,like the ones to follow,yet 4" tall vs 8". The '71-earlier are actually much tougher being made from 1/4" c-channel. I've been looking for a '72 step bumper perfect enough to chrome,to show just how good one can look. I think a 3/4t looks right with a step bumper,especially a 4wd. Sport bumpers look lean and clean and all that,but they scream "useless" to me on anything but a 2wd C/10. How the heck do you get in the bed? You didn't buy a 3/4t to have a car with a bed. You bought it for some sort of work.

Good info ....
Posted via Mobile Device

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you can buy chrome stepbumpers in a number of different styles from JCWHITNEY that r quite reasonable and very similar to aftermarket dealer installed ones from back in the day
You can buy step bumpers very similar to aftermarket dealer installed one from after '72 but none like '72 0r earlier. They went to 8" tall and that's all you'll find.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
A.Bursell

I also like the looks of the "sport bumper" even if not as functional. Is there such a thing as a good fitting tow hitch that will work with the sport bumper on a 3/4 ton truck? What is needed to fit one of these bumpers on a leaf spring truck, seems like most were coils. Any difference with 4x4?

Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
4spd

I'm wondering the same thing as Adam above, i have seen the hitch setup advertised in LMC. Does this setup work with the "sport bumper" or what are others using?
Posted via Mobile Device
4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
A.Bursell

Any more info?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
eagleuh1

I have a Reese hitch ordered from AutoZones website. About $180 with free shipping. Was specifically for these years truck frames. Think I had to drill 1 more hole in each frame rail. I had to grind a little on my liceance frame bracket for it to clear the hitch about a 1/4 inch. It sits just below the plate on a sport bumper. Mines off to pound out dents after jacknifing a 23 foot travel trailer.
Attached Images

eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
eagleuh1

Its a very strong hitch as you can see!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
asolde

I have a 72 C/10 with leaf springs. It has a sport bumper (not original) with a hitch installed. I think it would work with a step bumper too but not sure. It's a good installation for a hitch.
Attached Images

asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
eagleuh1

This is what was on my custom camper when I got it. It slides out to act as a step for an overhanging slide in camper. Could also be used as a bandstand, park bench, .....

Pics with the sport bumper on.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
I also like the looks of the "sport bumper" even if not as functional. Is there such a thing as a good fitting tow hitch that will work with the sport bumper on a 3/4 ton truck? What is needed to fit one of these bumpers on a leaf spring truck, seems like most were coils. Any difference with 4x4?

Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Here is mine with a sport bumper and Leaf springs. It was ordered through a trailer company for a 69 1/2 ton and fit perfect. Just had to drill two extra holes.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
eagleuh1

One thing to mention. With my hitch, you can't mount the spare under the bed. At least not a large 31 inch tall spare like mine. Don't know about smaller tires. IT did say in the installation instructions to remove the spare tire mount though. I will be installing an under bed tank anyway, so thats not a problem.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
A.Bursell

Thanks guys. Did you need special brackets or anything for the sport bumpers with leaf springs?
Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
eagleuh1

Mines 3/4 ton with heavy duty 10 pack leaf springs. I ordered brackets for the sport bumper, but don't know if it required special brackets. I ordered bumper and brackets from Brothers. When you do go to mount your Bumper, grind the corners down and edges on the brackets where they'll touch the bumper. Mine imprinted through the bumper and hairline cracked the chrome on a brand new bumper. Not happy time. Good luck with yours. Jim
Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #19
SS Tim

Actually I have found two different GMC accessory brochures that offer chrome step bumpers for '70.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #20
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Ive been trolling this site for 3-4 years. Been a member for about two years. If you ever want to know anything about stock 67-72 trucks...just refer to special k, hes got the knowledge u need. Having said that, my '68 c20 has the monster stepper that you could drop a camaro on and not bend. Its one of the baddest things I have ever seen.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
dropanddrag71

My truck was built in California but the step bumper has an Oregon State manufacturer id tag.. Probably added by the dealer as a dealer option..