The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #51
kikkegek

Re: Converting to Projector lenses & HID bulbs

Ttt
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #52
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Sorry man been busy with work and holiday preps. Promise I WILL get them up tomorrow.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #53
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4by2 View Post
Something for you all to consider - I am installing a set of DOT approved 7" LED headlights in my '77 (as all bulbs will be LED when finished). We use these over here in Afghanistan on all the military vehicles & man do they make a world of differance!!! Also got the heavy-duty headlight wiring kit from LMC Truck for good measure, but probably wasn't really needed... Will post some pics of the lights installed once the truck gets to that point.
DANG ! thats where the lights outa my HEMMT went !
If they had made them in a 4X6 there would'nt be a truck in the system with lights left in em . they are pretty cool and tuff as nails .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #54
BLE 'BURBAN

Alrighty Kikkegek, As promised here's the pics of the lights shining on the side of a building. I was about 20 -25 ft away from the front of the building.

Low beam......

And High Beam.......

Last edited by BLE 'BURBAN; 12-21-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #55
kikkegek

he Be-Burban! thansk man!

thats a much better light beam then mine!

but for yearly inspection I wouldnt pass. because there is no real seperation of bright and dark. EVERYTHING seems bright!

thanks for the pics man! those HELLA's make a hell of a difference!

have fun with those. When I got my HIDs up, I'll let you know! but that is gonna be februari of march.no time nor money before then!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #56
355GoldieGM

Lot of usefull info really love the post! There are some nice results, i want to change my light setup soon too.

My Project:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=goldie
355GoldieGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #57
Classic69
Love That '69

I managed to find a true projector headlight with an HID kit after a lotta searching online. They're a lil pricey, but they arent some cheap "knock-off" projectors, its the real deal, and they have (2) style's to choose from, "Classic" and "Modern" with a variety of HID color temperature bulbs. Im looking at possibly purchasing a set for my '69 C/10.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.trueprojectorheadlights.com/

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 01-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #58
qu1cks1lver56

you can do a retrofit for less than half that.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
kikkegek

I had also found them. Too bad I have 4x6" headlights.

good luck. If you arent ready for retrofitting yourself, then this seems like a nice deal!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #60
Classic69
Love That '69

Here's some pics:

"Classic" Projector Headlights

"Modern" Projector Headlights

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #61
kikkegek

I really dig the modern look, but it depends on the look of your truck.

is your truck old-school or modern look?

maybe you should photoshop them in a photo? I can help you if you want. pm me...if you want.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #62
Classic69
Love That '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
I really dig the "modern" look, but it depends on the look of your truck...is your truck old-school or modern look?
oh...without question...the "classics" would look better on my '69...the "modern" one's do look good as well, but they wouldnt "go" with my truck.

I actually ordered a pair of the "classic" projector headlights for my truck this morning. They have em in stock and should be shipped today with a 6000K HID kit. So in about 2 weeks time, cuz they are being shipped from USA to Canada, I should have em and be able to install em!

Last edited by Classic69; 01-14-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #63
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic69 View Post
oh...without question...the "classics" would look better on my '69...the "modern" one's do look good as well, but they wouldnt "go" with my truck.

I actually ordered a pair of the "classic" projector headlights for my truck this morning. They have em in stock and should be shipped today with a 6000K HID kit. So in about 2 weeks time, cuz they are being shipped from USA to Canada, I should have em and be able to install em!
very cool!

get us some pics when u got them installed!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #64
kikkegek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
he man!
really nice write up!

I 'll be following the results of your build.

I am doing some research of myself too. I currrently run Bi-Xenon bulbs in regular clear lens Euro headlights E-marked.

This is the light patters on a wall. I made pictures with halogeen and with Xenon and you can see the difference:

left headlight:

right headlight

as you can see, there is still a pretty good cut off visible, but there is so much more light, that I can imagine I am blinding drivers in the opposite lanes. Although it is not to bad.

A projector like the FX-R (I am considering a retrofit using this projector) produces a light beam like this:

SO!
I am very, very curious, what light beam your units will produce...

looking forward to your pics!
I have to edit my post. I just recently found out I have been driving around with HIGH beam all the time. The "relay" for moving the bulb to the right position for LOW beam, wasnt working. I sent the whole thing back to the supplier for the third time now, hoping they will give me a new set...

I've done some research and the bulbs you are using Ble-burban are pretty good. That is because of the "casper shields" or "anti glare shields" that are over the HID bulbs. They prevent the blub from spreading its light just anywhere, thus giving the pretty good light pattern you are having. Mine looked bad...but thats because the bulbs have been crap.

Pretty funny drive about 7.000miles with HIDs in HIGH beam position...been lucky no cop has pulled me over so far...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #65
acollins24

Hi there, I was looking online for some HID bulbs and I have a quick question..how would you know if the bulbs you have would not blind people on the other side of the road when you drive at night? Are there regulations involved? Sorry if it sounds kinda noob!

Thanks in advance!
acollins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #66
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins24 View Post
Hi there, I was looking online for some HID bulbs and I have a quick question..how would you know if the bulbs you have would not blind people on the other side of the road when you drive at night? Are there regulations involved? Sorry if it sounds kinda noob!

Thanks in advance!
If they have a REALLY nice cutoff, blinding people won't be a problem, and you can even aim them higher than usual and be ok.

as far as regulations, if the car didn't come with it from the factory and have the levelers, its illegal. so every projector kit is in fact, illegal. just depends on the cops in your area and if they even care enough about it to enforce it. just don't blind oncoming cars and you'll likely be ok.

an observation: after riding with a friends in his car which has projectors, I can't say I recommend them unless you live in Kansas, which is totally flat. they have such a great cutoff at the top of the beam that when you come to a hill, you can't see up the hill at all until the car is on the same plane as the hill. seems a little light scatter is necessary, of a good leveling kit (which he didn't have)
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #67
BLE 'BURBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins24 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Go to www.v-leds.com and look through their selection of H.I.D.'s I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs and desires. After you get them installed you will have to re-aim your headlights as I did. I had to turn mine down about 4 full rotaions of the vertical adjustment and in 2 1/2 rotations so I wasn't blinding oncoming traffic or people in front of me at a stoplight.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #68
acollins24

About leveling, are there some automated levelers?...I know benz has them for their higher end models...you know, the ones that turn the headlights to the direction where your car is pointed instead of just plain pointing straight. I think they have a video of their tech up on youtube
acollins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #69
frog210

yea ive driven a few of those, there also in some bmws, and jags i think
but its just the ball in it that moves not the whole light

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #70
bk2life
Account Suspended

guessin projector topic died..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #71
INSIDIOUS '86

There has been multiple threads on this including some of my own this thread is over a year old
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote