The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
mrhino
Account Suspended

opinions on keyless entry, remote start, alarm

what are you guys running for keyless entry, remote start, alarm. what is a good choice, the best, the worst. any info would be great.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
77ChevySharkBite

Re: opinions on keyless entry, remote start, alarm

What I was planning to do for my truck, is I wanted to get the electric locks and what not for my truck through lmc, and then I was actually going to go get an alarm put on it, remote start I believe is a personal preference I have it on my DD I don't use it a lot unless its cold and in Texas thats rare, and I'll use it when its a scortching day outside. Alarm I have autopage not any issues with it really, my dad has a prestige on his truck, everyone will have there own opinions on alarms though.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
king-918

Most companies under directed are good systems just pick a choose the features you want
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

They are really cool to have., and I would love to have it on a vehicle one day.

If you do handle less make sure you use a strong popper. Also back in the day guys would hook up a pull cable to open a door if the system failed. Or if you have power windows you could have the drivers window roll down if the popper fails.

The remote start is fine as when it fails it just doesn't remote start anymore.

Last thing if you believe your battery is old. Replace it soon. Getting into a vehicle that has no handles is no fun, and AAA doesn't like doing it either.

I had a couple of friends who did this to their vehicles, and eventually they had a problem. The friend who had alternate ways of getting in was able to get a jump, and was on his way. The guy who didn't had to wait for a few hours for AAA to get a contractor who could or would open his handle less car open.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
They are really cool to have., and I would love to have it on a vehicle one day.

If you do handle less make sure you use a strong popper. Also back in the day guys would hook up a pull cable to open a door if the system failed. Or if you have power windows you could have the drivers window roll down if the popper fails.

The remote start is fine as when it fails it just doesn't remote start anymore.

Last thing if you believe your battery is old. Replace it soon. Getting into a vehicle that has no handles is no fun, and AAA doesn't like doing it either.

I had a couple of friends who did this to their vehicles, and eventually they had a problem. The friend who had alternate ways of getting in was able to get a jump, and was on his way. The guy who didn't had to wait for a few hours for AAA to get a contractor who could or would open his handle less car open.
Very correct have a contingency plan because it will fail just a matter of time
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
mrhino
Account Suspended

Im looking at just keyless entry im gonna keep the handles and door locks.

I had a 69 camaro a few years back with shaved handles. it looks sweet but Ill never have it again. Never!
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
tucsonjwt

I stay away from most electronics on my vehicles (except the simple stuff), so I had a local shop install a viper lock/alarm in my 83 C20 when I got it in 2002. I have had 2 problems.

First, whenever I have had various mechanics working on a pesky no start problem over the years, they have always disabled parts of the lock/alarm system. So, I am left with the lock only feature, which is all I really wanted.

The key fob style is the old large square type which is a bit large to put in your pocket, and the plastic hole for the key chain had broken, so I have had to rig up a fix. This would likely not be a problem for new units, and you can always get a replacement - but this kind of cheap manufacturing just irks me in my old age.

Of course, you will/should always carry an extra manual door lock key for when you get locked out (or use a hide-a-key to store one somewhere on your truck). This happens when you leave the truck running to check under the hood and close the door behind you to keep the air conditioning inside the cab, and then realize that the door locks automatically lock when the ignition starts the truck. Bad enough to be locked out, but burning gas while you are locked out is double bad.

I did have trouble with the lock feature not unlocking the doors, but after installing new actuators I found out that the lock rods were rusty/dirty and the actuators could not overcome the resistance.

I would call the local car alarm shops and find out what they are installing. Likely they will know the best brands to buy. Also, stick with a top installer and pay the extra $$$. There are a lot of kids out there with more ink and piercings than skill who are installing these things. (No offense meant to you capable youngins.)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
bk2life
Account Suspended

If done correctly you won’t have a problem.
A quick question, if you lock your keys out of your new car what do you do? You call a tow truck/AAA cops whomever and they come out and use a “jimmy” to unlock your door; same thing for shaved handles. There is still linkage or a cable in the door for the popper to activate the door latch. It’s really easy to open a shaved door.
Dead battery. I love this one. How many times in your entire life have you come out to your car to a dead battery? Me maybe once or twice in 30 years. so don’t listen to that excuse from anyone.
Door popper/solenoid stops working, it happens. What do you do? Oh no im stuck … blah blah, you push the button on your keypad to open the other door. Problem solved.
Fail safe. If for some reason you’re cursed by the gods above, go to your local bicycle store and get a brake cable for a ten speed. Run this from your door latch up under the fender well somewhere and you’ll never be locked out.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
DREAMER1

^^i like the brake cable idea^^

I have a prestige alarm with a kill switch.( Won't start unless you electronically unlock it ) Since my Square is carbureted I was told not to do the remote start.
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
JWall
Frequent Flyer

I have had good luck with AutoPage brand stuff.
I've had them on the last 3 of my daily drivers.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
DREAMER1

There was a guy on another forum that was looking for the same answers and came acroos a site called Auto-loc that had a bunch of gizmos for keyless entry and push button starters. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
INSIDIOUS '86

If your carbureted how does the auto start feature become beneficial when the engine is cold? I had a alarm and remote start in a old Buick before. Car ran great but the remote start can't do what a person does and start and keep your car running
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
If your carbureted how does the auto start feature become beneficial when the engine is cold? I had a alarm and remote start in a old Buick before. Car ran great but the remote start can't do what a person does and start and keep your car running
Posted via Mobile Device
Why not? I've been looking into a remote start for my truck - you will need an extra solenoid to pull on the throttle if you have a carb, but otherwise it should work the same.

As for keyless entry...I just leave them unlocked.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
INSIDIOUS '86

Keyless entry can't pump the accelarator two or three times to pump enough fuel to start it other wise it cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks. This is where a fuel injection such as tpi or tbi or efi is good

Posted via Mobile Device

My best alarm is lowjack. So even if you steal my truck. Me and the police will be there in half hour lol
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
zaccaglin

I put a keyless entry kit in my suburban and love it. It was just a cheap Bulldog set I bought from samsclub.com. It works great and was fairly straight forward to install. I wish I had remote start but just didn't want to have to deal with the glow plug factor. As for an alarm system I just didn't want to have to mess with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1998 Chevrolet C1500 Ext. Cab 350

Former Rig:
1985 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 6.2L Detroit/TH400/NP208
zaccaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

I use and like Spal, they have nice kits
Posted via Mobile Device
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

all non OEM keyless entry, immobilizer etc suck plain and simple
i have delt with so much of that crap and most of the instaltion jobs are really crappy,

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Keyless entry can't pump the accelarator two or three times to pump enough fuel to start it other wise it cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks. This is where a fuel injection such as tpi or tbi or efi is good
My truck starts with just 1 pump...don't even need to do that in the summer. I have an Eddelbrock carb though...

Somewhere I saw a remote starter that was designed for carbs, but I can't find it now. I've read about people using the trunk popper solenoid to pump the throttle as many times as necessary.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
My truck starts with just 1 pump...don't even need to do that in the summer. I have an Eddelbrock carb though...

Somewhere I saw a remote starter that was designed for carbs, but I can't find it now. I've read about people using the trunk popper solenoid to pump the throttle as many times as necessary.
Don't sound bad. A trunk button on the key fob and a cylinoid may work with a fast idle and a carb with a good electric choke. Should work. Be a pain to get all that wired but so would an efi system
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
homemade87

I put in a viper 350hv. Works great. The only thing I found out is if you dont drive your truck much the alarm will kill you battery with it armed. I left mine for about 4 weeks and went to crank it and dead. I dont drive my truck much. If I had know this I would have done some research to see if there was one that would not drain your battery when armed. Might be worth looking into if you truck sits around much.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
mrhino
Account Suspended

I ended up getting one off ebay. It is a Crimestopper CS2011RS IV Alarm / Remote Start Unit. it looks like it will do everything I want and then some. Keyless entry and remote start are the main features I wanted. This unit looks like it will unlock just drivers door and a second push of the remote will unlock all the doors which will be nice. The wiring looks fairly complex so will see how that goes.