The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
tsbrewers

need cruise help '06 express

Hey all, I picked up an '06 express 3500 cargo van and I am looking to add cruise to it. I have everything I need OEM wise (servo, switch, etc.) but the big problem is, I don't have the factory wiring harness already in my van.

From my research (Here) it sounds like if you have power windows/locks, you will have the factory harness already there. And if it is basic one like mine, you won't.

Anyway, I have the actual plug and about 10" if the wires that go in to the servo, but I am hoping someone with more knowledge can help me from there. I have the pinout I believe from that post above, but from there I am lost. I am not even sure if I can just wire it up myself and have it work, or if that isn't going to work. I tried to get the entire harness from the junk yard, but someone had already chopped all the wires to pull some other stuff. So I just grabbed the plug and what wires I could.

Thanks,

Brew
Attached Images

tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: need cruise help '06 express

So you have a cable operated throttle body?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
tsbrewers

Yup cable, not drive by wire.

I think at this point I do have the pinout for the harness, and the schematic from where they all go, but not being a true car guy it makes me a little nervous.

I think these are the same as you posted in that older thread, but I will post them again to save some time and trouble.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
clinebarger

Im pretty sure your truck is wired for cruise, The plug will have a black cover on it.

The cover is even even pictured in the service manual for use without cruise.

It may be held in place by a clip somewhere??
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
tsbrewers

Gosh, I would hope so. I looked pretty well "where it should be" and there is nothing. I know on the ones with the cruise already there, the cruise harness comes out of the wiring that goes to the wipers about halfway. Mine does not have any wires coming out of that harness. I do have a few "spare" plugs here and there, but nothing that resembled the cruise one. There is a larger unused harness inside the van behind the brake pedal, (and one behind radio, and a couple small ones under the hood)

I will take a better look and see if it is stashed somewhere, but honestly I don't have much faith. (my luck doesn't work that way)

thanks again,

Brew
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
clinebarger

Here's the pic I meant to post.....
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
tsbrewers

Nope, I just looked again, and there is nothing that I can see, inside or out of the van. I can follow that wiper motor harness both directions and nothing is branched off from it. There is like 4 wires total in that harness (if I recall correctly) so I don't see an extra 10 or so that would be for the cruise. I do see a spare harness up by the brake reservoir but it only has 2 wires?

So where it says "gas K34 w/0 JL4" is the options? JL4 is the drive by wire correct? I will see if mine has the K34 option.

It doesn't look like mine has that (K34)
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=...253484&x=0&y=0

This is what I found for a google search on K34
K34 E CONTROL AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONIC

Last edited by tsbrewers; 10-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
clinebarger

K34 is the cruise control option.
JL4 is a traction control RPO, Makes drive by wire standard.
If your truck isnt wired for it & you dont want the hassle....Rostra makes cruise controls.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
tsbrewers

Well, I considered the rostra one, but I figured I would have to wire that one too, so not much different from wiring the pigtail I have now. Plus I would save $200 from just wiring it myself. Unless you don't think it would work to wire the factory one?

I did have another question about wiring the OEM one though, if I would like to use the factory connectors instead of splicing in the wires, how do I get the terminals that click in to the connector? So for example, if I run a wire from the pigtail I have now, to the connector under the dash for the switch wiring, how do i get the correct little metal end that crimps on the wire and then snaps in to the factory connector? I know I can get them from a place like mouser, but how would I know which part # to order? I hope that makes sense.

To be honest, I was kinda hoping you could help me a little too, like "the pink wire in the harness goes to the red wire on fuse 38 in the fuse panel under the hood." "the gray wire goes to...."

Last edited by tsbrewers; 10-24-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
tsbrewers

just wanted to update this thread. I ended up going to the junk yard and pulling another complete harness from a different van. I pulled the harness from the cruise and followed all 10 wires to the different harnesses they come from. I then cut all the wires from these harnesses except for the few that were from the cruise.

So I had the harness that came out of the servo, and a bunch of wire that led to 3 or so different connectors. When I was installing it in to my van, I just unplugged the terminals from the junk yard ones, and popped them in to my vans matching the exact locations etc.

All said and done, it works great, exactly like the factory cruise. It was kinda a pain in the butt. If I had more money than time, I would probably just buy an aftermarket one for the $300, but it only cost me about $50 total and about 12 hours total to pull from the junk yard, and install in my van. If I had to do another, it would probably take half that time.