The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #276
toocrazy

Re: 69 slammed, 22"/24" bbc shaved clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
That's the reason I got a set of tubz. Sooo many other things to build or work on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
That cogged belt looks pretty damn cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Nice progress on the inner fenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good!
thanks guys. they will be nice when they are done. the cog system is really tuff!!
toocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #277
prostreet1967

dam i keep getting hooked on these sick builds my truck will never get done.

BTW nice house, garage, and rides
prostreet1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #278
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet1967 View Post
dam i keep getting hooked on these sick builds my truck will never get done.

BTW nice house, garage, and rides
I know what you mean. There are a lot of really cool trucks to look at on this forum. thanks for the compliment!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #279
Chev71

[QUOTE=toocrazy;5228441]Another want is a clean firewall. We ended up going with the Wildwood under dash brake peddle set up with the reservoirs behind the glovebox. I went with a column mounted shifter because I thought it looked clean so we have a cable system going to the tranny.

Im lovin your clean firewall
This is exactly how I wanna do mine =D
Was this something you ordered or custom fabbed?
Also wondering if you have pics of the firewall process want to know where you cut and if any modification was made to inner tranny hump?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Chev71; 11-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Chev71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #280
67cheby
67cheby

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocrazy View Post
Had a little spare time last week so worked a little on the inner fenders. Do yourself a favor, buy Slosh Tubz........they are not near the work. Damn this fenders are alot of work!!!

We are finishing up a few projects in the shop and hoping to get back on the C10 in a few weeks. I would really like to see this truck done by January so to hit a few of the indoor World of Wheels shows during the winter season.

LOL, thanks for the props ! It will save a ton of work...trust me i know how long it takes to build a set of inner fenders !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #281
67cheby
67cheby

i dig the belt system but i dont understand how it works the power steering ?
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #282
tommys72

i love this truck, i wish it was done already, i wanna see it finished lol
tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #283
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Mike there is a ribbed pulley behing the cogged crank pulley to run the p.s.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #284
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev71 View Post

Im lovin your clean firewall
This is exactly how I wanna do mine =D
Was this something you ordered or custom fabbed?
Also wondering if you have pics of the firewall process want to know where you cut and if any modification was made to inner tranny hump?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the compliment. This dang clean firewall has been a big pain in the butt. We pretty much cut the old firewall out and welded in a plate. I am sorry but I did not take alot of pictures in the early stages. Maybe one of the guys reading this will reference you to another thread because other guys are doing it. Sorry I could not be more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
LOL, thanks for the props ! It will save a ton of work...trust me i know how long it takes to build a set of inner fenders !
No problem my friend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
i love this truck, i wish it was done already, i wanna see it finished lol
Me too and I was thinking about getting back on it today I almost have the Chevelle and the 66 Burb running so I am itching to get back on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Mike there is a ribbed pulley behing the cogged crank pulley to run the p.s.
right. sorry I just noticed I did not have the belt installed when i took the pictures. The surpentine belt goes to the inside of the crank pulley just like you said.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #285
Chev71

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. This dang clean firewall has been a big pain in the butt. We pretty much cut the old firewall out and welded in a plate. I am sorry but I did not take alot of pictures in the early stages. Maybe one of the guys reading this will reference you to another thread because other guys are doing it. Sorry I could not be more help.
Can I see pics of the inside of the cab, where the firewall meets the transmission hump. Also what size sheet metal you use?
Ima fabricate my own I just don't wanna have to double layer the inside because ima put my brake booster on the inner firewall along with harness.
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Chev71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #286
toocrazy

with the 66 burb project rolling to the end I finally started thinking about the pickup. Yesterday for inspiration I decided to drag the bed out of storage. I had new hinges for the tailgate so I decided to play a little bit and put it on. So, the first decision is to smooth or not to smooth the tailgate. I already had the panel laying around so I stuck it on to see what it looks like. I kind of like the smoothed look. Maybe put the latch on the inside of the bed???? If so who's latch did you use? Do you guys cut the existing outside skin off the tailgate and weld the smoothed panel on or do you put the skin right over the existing?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #287
jmedero

I'd cut it out and replace it with the smooth one. Not to much work but just knowing that it's "right" would feel right. Not that either way is wrong or better, that is how I would rationalize it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #288
TXPinstriper

Nice ......
TXPinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #289
babyblueoval

Quote:
So, the first decision is to smooth or not to smooth the tailgate. I already had the panel laying around so I stuck it on to see what it looks like.
My vote is smooth.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #290
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
I'd cut it out and replace it with the smooth one. Not to much work but just knowing that it's "right" would feel right. Not that either way is wrong or better, that is how I would rationalize it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblueoval View Post
My vote is smooth.
Thanks guys. The decision was made today to weld in the smooth tailgate and not use the stock tailgate at all. We are going to weld in metal panels inside the bed on all 4 sides to make the inside totally smooth. I guess my new tailgate and hardware will have to go back on the shelf for another time. We'll make a smooth panel to go inside the smooth tailgate. I guess we will be smooooooth!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #291
toocrazy

working on bed

We started working on the bed today. As with most of the decisions I have made we have changed direction on the finish of interior of the bed. I hired an outside shop to install the framework in the bed. After looking at it the center hump was not symmetrical so we cut it out. A friend of mine cut the first panels for the bed floor and we started with them. We have not made a final decision covering the C-notch area whether it will be a radius or bent.

You can see the inside panel fabricated for the tailgate area. We decided not to install a working tailgate and instead have a flush finished tailgate. We have a smooth tailgate panel to install over the back.

Grinding a finishing the flush tailgate cover to be welded across the back and to be seamless.

Inner tailgate panel welded in place.

The smooth tailgate panel is not structurally sound. We had many ideas on how to stiffen it up..........styrofoam, panel bonding some tubing across the back of the panel???????? This is what Bob came up with today. He welded a few pieces of sheet metal on the back of the tailgate panel..........

............and then opened up a few slots for the sheet metal to stick through. Once the flush panel is welded in these sheet metal stiffeners will be welded to the inner tailgate cover.

Here is where we ended today. This week we will have in our hands new inner side bed panels. The rear, sides, and front of the inner bed will have flush panels for a clean look. Right now we are toying with the inside finish............maybe Lizard Skin painted the color of the truck............possibly some wood on the floor of the bed with stainless bed strips........????

Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #292
thelonerife

This is one of the best builds on the site imo. Great Job!
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #293
jtp67-72

Rear pan or bumper?? I like it!!...those flush inner panels would solve the dilemma I'm in....what a pain to detail (after paint) that "top of tub--bedside meeting".....especially if tub welded in........Look at CLOUD 9 again at his bed floor....may give u some inspiration!!!.............jim
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #294
chicksdigit

So inspiring
Posted via Mobile Device
chicksdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #295
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonerife View Post
This is one of the best builds on the site imo. Great Job!
I think you have a great opinion......thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp67-72 View Post
Rear pan or bumper?? I like it!!...those flush inner panels would solve the dilemma I'm in....what a pain to detail (after paint) that "top of tub--bedside meeting".....especially if tub welded in........Look at CLOUD 9 again at his bed floor....may give u some inspiration!!!.............jim
I am really leaning for the rear pan now. I dont mind these trucks without the rear bumper if the back is finished clean. We really didnt plan on the inner panels but wow does it clean it up and is does simplify finishing the inside. We will have it done by the end of the week so I will be posting lots of progress on the bed to show how we are doing it. Yes, I love Cloud 9's bed floor and really wanting to steal it. His fenders sit on top of the wood for a nice clean look so we would have to figure out how to finish if I used wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdigit View Post
So inspiring
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man. I just got a wild hair in my rear end and here we on back on the C-10 hot and heavy so trying to ride on the inspirational feeling right now.

Last edited by toocrazy; 01-06-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #296
toocrazy

I will be glad when we can move the truck around so we dont have to do the Bobcat crane operator gimmick. Once the truck is rolling we can use the lift to take the bed off and on. We did fabricate some lift points in the front and then we welded some huge nuts inside the rear taillight area for future. I always plan on something breaking, service work, or me changing my mind and I wanted to make sure when the bed is painted we have a way to pull the bed off. After we get through with all the extra metal the bed is going to be a little heavier.

We needed to get the bed back on the frame since we cut out the center framed section. It was nice to get the bed back on just to see it looking like a truck again.

Here is the bed sitting on the frame. Unfortunately I have to relocate my air tank. If you look back earlier in the thread the air tank is neatly bolted to the front of the c-notch. We want the notch cover to be as small as possible so it will be a small price to pay. We have a couple of locations in mind.........we are even thinking of using some 4 inch metal pipe and making some small tanks.

Yes those are some temporary air fittings going to the rear bags. I am thinking about hard piping them........any of you guys done this before??

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #297
toocrazy

Today we started installing the sheet metal on the driver's side. The sheet metal was cut and then bent on top so it would cover the top of the bed. These were new Goodmark bedsides but damn if they weren't flat.......probably 5 degrees off of square so our returns gave us a perfectly flat top.

Sheet metal overhangs the top of the bedside and is continuously welded welded seam.

Yes it is a thing of beauty!!!! Once the c-notch cover is fabricated the opening in the inner fenderwell will be cut to fit. I really like the inner bed panels as it makes this bed extra clean and the wheel tubs don't look so big and out of place.

And finally our patented bed removal system. We have the large bolts welded on the inside of the bed.........hidden from view. If we ever need to take the bed off in the future we just pull out the taillights and insert big bolt!!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #298
Chvy2NV

Looks awesome man. I really like the bed romoval bolts
Posted via Mobile Device
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #299
toocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
Looks awesome man. I really like the bed romoval bolts
Posted via Mobile Device
hey thanks! i see alot of guys on here from Florida. We ought to have a big truck jam like the guys do out on the east coast!!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #300
Chvy2NV

That would be awesome. I'm sure we can get a good group of trucks in no time. Lets set it up ...
Quote:
hey thanks! i see alot of guys on here from Florida. We ought to have a big truck jam like the guys do out on the east coast!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote