The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Re: What's with the high shipping charges these parts stores charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
Lol but Congress dont live in the real world.
Posted via Mobile Device

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by original-71 View Post
true true!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
bollybib

As with anything else, it pays to shop around. Some places keep their shipping in line with the item being shipped and others just jack it up so they're covered (and then some) no matter what.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I'm in the market for a hood emblem, but Brothers wants $14.50 for shipping and LMC wants $13.75. The total bill ends up being $10 less at Brothers because it is on sale, and the price is still better. Still, though... $14.50 for shipping such a small and light item from California to Utah? Seems a bit much. I realize its best to order multiple things at once, and therefore save on shipping, but that doesn't always fit in with what I need.

Just venting I guess, and hoping there's somebody else that has prices like Brothers but with fair shipping prices
Posted via Mobile Device
Being in the industry, that sounds like a very fair shipping price.

Keep in mind that there is an expense associated with the materials and labor that go into. You have to put somebody on payroll to do it, additional insurance, the expense of the shipping materials, etc. The actual charge from the shipping carrier might only be $9 or $10 but in business you won't last long if you just break even or lose money on any side. We actually have a $20 minimum when it comes to shipping. We don't ship out much small stuff, but when we do we charge a minimum of $20.

We (as vendors and suppliers) also receive rate hikes every year from the shipping companies, and expenses keep going up.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
sprint_9

Shipping has gone way up, while some places may maintain low prices they are likely loosing money in the process to keep business. I thought that some of the shipping fees were excessive until I started shipping stuff myself. It costs 8 dollars to ship a 2 pound box anywhere farther than 1 state from me, from 1 pound to 2 pounds the price jumps from 5 to 8 dollars, it is a joke.

Also the flat rate boxes you talk about very small, the 5.50 flat rate box is big enough for about 2 dvd cases, not much more will fit.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Found out how much shipping costs have gone up this last Christmas (as well as other Christmases and b'thdays).

1 shipping box 12X12X16--$2.87
1 roll of tape---------------$4.33
1 roll of packing bubbles--$5.42

Here's the break down of UPS shipping from Texas to Virginia (per their receipt) :
Weight-----------------7#
Ground residential-----$16.97
Fuel surcharge---------$1.27
Processing fee----------$0.20
total---------------------$18.44
Approximate additional costs: app 10 miles of travel- $1.66
(No cost for labor since I'm retired)

Total cost for all---- $32.72

Granted I didn't use all the tape and bubbles but still had to buy it. And that's for one small box of toys.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
54blackhornet

I bought a fuel sender o ring from Brothers, cost was 1.99 , when I went to check out shipping was like $12.00 ? So I called and spoke to them about the high cost. The rep mentioned something about how the system calculates shipping charges, shipping ended up around $5.00 ! I always call now before I hit the order button.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Ha! Was at the junk yard today, and found this like new emblem for 3 bucks!

Can you believe what good shape this truck is in? What a shame it's at a junkyard.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
LEEVON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
OK... Im going to say something unpopular here. There is not really that much money in truck parts. These guys have to make a profit, and pay their employees. Employees have to eat and pay their bills as well.
I own a business, so I know. Its not easy, and not getting any easier. Try it and see. Be grateful we can get parts.
If you want to run an operation and not have to balance your books, join the Federal Govt. lol
That shouldn't be unpopular, it the downright truth. These vendors service OUR hobby, and should make a buck doing it. You can't go down to Wal-Mart and get a pair of bucket seat covers for a '69 blazer. A business that makes no money is called a burden. I don't see people getting wealthy in the old truck parts biz. Cable television, cell phones, different story!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
468BIGBLOCK
MEMBER OF THE JUNK MAN CLUB

Wink Re: What's with the high shipping charges these parts stores charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
That shouldn't be unpopular, it the downright truth. These vendors service OUR hobby, and should make a buck doing it. You can't go down to Wal-Mart and get a pair of bucket seat covers for a '69 blazer. A business that makes no money is called a burden. I don't see people getting wealthy in the old truck parts biz. Cable television, cell phones, different story!
VERY well said!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #36
MAK191

There are many good points here.

I understand that companies have every right to charge shipping and handling as long as it is within reason. The good deals on rockauto.com quickly disappear when they ship from 3 different locations.

There are a few companies that offer good rates on shipping like summit and classic parts of America. Also I buy lots of stuff on amazon (truck and non truck parts) and I have a prime account and get Free 2-day shipping or $4 next day. You can't beat that. The bad side is I have an app on my phone and its way too convenient.
MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK191 View Post
There are many good points here.

I understand that companies have every right to charge shipping and handling as long as it is within reason. The good deals on rockauto.com quickly disappear when they ship from 3 different locations.

There are a few companies that offer good rates on shipping like summit and classic parts of America. Also I buy lots of stuff on amazon (truck and non truck parts) and I have a prime account and get Free 2-day shipping or $4 next day. You can't beat that. The bad side is I have an app on my phone and its way too convenient.
I love amazon. What type of parts have you been able to find on there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Of course there's money to be made in selling truck parts...even when nothing is shipped. Shipping is a way to expand the business and give employees something to do between walk-ins. If the company's bigger than that,they have people there for each task. If they're not making money,why did they get into it? Because they're saints? Or,maybe independently wealthy with nothing better to do?
I don't whine about what parts cost because I'm grateful they are available. I come from when all there was were used parts and N.O.S. The reason N.O.S. got expensive is because at least you were happy to found new part. But shipping should be charged at the exact amount. It's a truck parts business,not a double dippin' shipping company.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
Square_78

You guys are lucky. Living in the USA and having all those parts in your country... Shipping from the USA to canada is always WAY more money. I hardly ever pay duty or tax, but shipping is on average TWICE the cost for me. WHen you guys pay $13 shipping, I pay $24. Its getting better these days, but its still a lot more. I wanted to order than $149 step notch from KP components, but the shipping charge was $175! WOW. yeah right.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I feel ya. Starting Jan 1, I started taking a pretty good ding in take home pay, due to these tax changes. And yet congress voted a raise for themselves recently...morons.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree! Morons!
Iirc... Congress doesn't vote do raises it's automatic. They have to vote NOT to get a raise and these snake lawyers who claim to do public good are all millionaires already. Before you chime in to defend your congressman take a long hard look into their finances, tax return, lobbies ya the hang out with etc...
They work for dollars - not you. There are a couple who do not take the raises and I thought that was cool until I found out how they make up the difference...
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"

Last edited by Spartan; 01-19-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: More info
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
OK... Im going to say something unpopular here. There is not really that much money in truck parts. These guys have to make a profit, and pay their employees. Employees have to eat and pay their bills as well.
I own a business, so I know. Its not easy, and not getting any easier. Try it and see. Be grateful we can get parts.
If you want to run an operation and not have to balance your books, join the Federal Govt. lol
I own a business too, however, I disagree with you. There is good money in parts. I am great full I can get parts. There is a difference between getting a fair price and then padding shipping to create an additional revenue stream.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I own a business too, however, I disagree with you. There is good money in parts. I am great full I can get parts. There is a difference between getting a fair price and then padding shipping to create an additional revenue stream.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's probably like those "as seen on tv" infomercials. They charge a big "shipping and handling fee", and then if you return the item (which they just assume lots of people will), they don't refund that portion, which means they still made money off the item you returned.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Someone on the forum in another thread, mentioned manestruckparts.com. I checked them out, and was pleasantly surprised. Low prices and fair shipping. Here's their shipping policy. I like it.

Shipping and Handling Charges are Approx. 10% of Total Order **
($9.95 minimum)
These shipping charges are only a guide and may not be the actual charges billed to your credit card. At Manes Truck Parts, we had never charged the normal 10% shipping and handling charges until we opened our Online Store. We realize that you need to have an idea of what your shipping charges will be, so we posted the 10% shipping and handling charge as a guide for you.

While the 10% guide is close to the actual shipping and handling on most orders, no general guide can be accurate for all cases. We found it distressing to charge a customer $30 for shipping based on the 10% rate, when the actual shipping charge was much less. In another example, the 10% guide was not enough for oversized part. In the end, this would all balance out for us, but it would not be fair to you, our valued Customers.

Our goal of providing you with excellent service does not include profiting from shipping. We have left the 10% on this site as a guide, and we have tried to mark all the "Oversized" or "Truck Freight" parts that cost more to ship. Please know that your total may be adjusted to reflect actual shipping. If you have any questions, please contact us.

** Excluding Oversized and Overweight Items, Foreign, Alaska and Hawaii Foreign Orders will be shipped thru DHL or UPS, Alaska and Hawaii Orders will Ship 2nd Day Air thru UPS. Additional shipping charges will apply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #44
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Don't forget Manes in Odessa.

As for shipping costs. Your box probably cost $8-10 through UPS or FedEx. Add the cost of the packing materials, labor and the management of all of that and they're not making anything. Everytime I ship parts I wish I could charge more. By the time I round up the boxes, packing tape (on my $50 gun) and make the trip to the shipper, etc. it's a losing proposition.

I try and wait to bundle an order so I don't buy something for $5 that costs $15 to ship.
I forgot about them, I bought my repro aluminum wood grain door panel inserts from Ron last year.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #45
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I agree! Morons!
Iirc... Congress doesn't vote do raises it's automatic. They have to vote NOT to get a raise and these snake lawyers who claim to do public good are all millionaires already. Before you chime in to defend your congressman take a long hard look into their finances, tax return, lobbies ya the hang out with etc...
They work for dollars - not you. There are a couple who do not take the raises and I thought that was cool until I found out how they make up the difference...
Posted via Mobile Device
Guys ...

Lets keep this on track and lets not get into the politics.

Agreed that it is expenses to operate a business and shipping costs have gone up.

We have a lot of quality vendors in these forums... Do some homework and see if maybe they may not charge as much in shipping.

Best of luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote