The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Johnny49

Disc or drum?

We'll FINALLY be ready to put my '49 on the road in the Spring. Just need to get the brake situation figured out and put everything together. As the signature says, you're dealing with a rank amateur here, so go easy!
(Thankfully I have friends who actually know what they're doing when it comes to the hard stuff)...

I either need all four drums or a disc conversion kit. Not sure what makes the most sense. Four wheel disc or just the front? Is it a huge deal to do the conversion? And If I stay with drums, my fronts have the hub attached. Would new '49 front drums come with the hubs or do I need to get them separately?

I've done a bunch of searching - prices I've seen for disc conversion and drums vary quite a bit. Any reliable sources with reasonable cost would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...
Johnny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
arturo7

Re: Disc or drum?

I'd at least put discs up front. Stopping quickly is a good thing.

CPP, and ABS make ready to use kits.

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
arturo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Johnny,
Don't apologize for being an amateur. We were ALL amateurs once - and a lot of us still are despite having some experience, lol.

You haven't mentioned what you're doing with your truck? Is it a stock six cylinder or have you swapped in a V8? What wil you be using it for: a daily driver on highways, or a weekend Home Depot runner?

I ask because the truth is these trucks stop quite well for NON-highway travelling with drums all around. Some will not agree with me and all things being equal I'd suggest front discs, but they're not absolutely necessary IF your drums are well maintained and adjusted with new shoes, fresh fluid, etc. But if you will be out in heavy traffic with cars that stop WAAY better than you can you'd better have good brakes or be disciplined to hang back consistently.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
NEWFISHER

I have drums on all 4 corners, tow a trailer, drive it every day and just hauled 5 guys with me in the Burb up and down the freeway at 65 today all day. I watch ahead, plan ahead and drive much differently than when I'm driving a newer vehicle. Low and slow that is the tempo....disc are safer, more expensive and thoughtless. Drums are more maintenence, risky , less expensive but get the job done if you drive with caution.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Johnny49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

You haven't mentioned what you're doing with your truck? Is it a stock six cylinder or have you swapped in a V8? What wil you be using it for: a daily driver on highways, or a weekend Home Depot runner?
It's a stock '61 six, and will pretty much be a weekend/local cruise night runner during the warmer weather. Looks like drums will do, huh? Might drop a V8 in someday if the opportunity ever presents itself. In other words, if my numbers ever come in... lol
Johnny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Coach529

I am putting discs in the front of mine and updated drums in back. My decision was mainly based on all of my stock brake stuff being obsolete and unavailable.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
It's a stock '61 six, and will pretty much be a weekend/local cruise night runner during the warmer weather. Looks like drums will do, huh? Might drop a V8 in someday if the opportunity ever presents itself. In other words, if my numbers ever come in... lol
Yup, I think drums should be fine for you. Just remember you do NOT drive it like a modern car. It's special - hell, that's why you own it. You gotta drive it like it's special.

I'm going discs on my '55 but only cause I bought a new-in-the-box CPP kit from a guy that sold his '54 project before installing it. I got it cheaper than from CPP and I'm told it's the same for late AD and for TF trucks (fingers crossed!)
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
mr48chev

Drum brakes will work fine if you learn to drive to match them. That includes giving yourself plenty of stopping room between you and the vehicle in front of you and watching far enough ahead to know what is going on ahead of you.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote