The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Rivet Nut Roof Rack

Hello,

Looking to add roof rails and rack (I got a used one from a junkyard) to my 99 suburban. The vehicle did not come with any rails - just a bare roof.

Questions:
  1. Is it advisable to use Rivet Nuts / Rivnuts type fasteners? From what I've seen online it looks like it would work -- but would they last or would they get loose over time?
  2. If good on the rivnuts - how much weight (I guess it's really the aerodynamic-ness/resistence of what goes on the rack rather than weight) - so basically how strong are they? (This would be a full size suburban rack so it's got 8 points, and probably 16 bolts, to attach to the roof with - so plenty of distributed strength).
  3. Also if good on rivet nuts - what type is the way to go - brand names, steel, aluminum, zinc...?
  4. If Rivnuts is a BAD idea is it super hard to take the headliner out..or just a slow process?

Thanks. TT
Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: Rivet Nut Roof Rack

If they are using 1/4 bolts, go to McMaster Carr's website, http://www.mcmaster.com , and look up pn 98280A410. This is a low profile head, has a closed end for sealing, and is splined on the outside to resist spinning. The rivnut brand will be more prone to spinning, these are the AVK style.. Or if you prefer, pn 93484A263 has a sealant under the flange, but this one is aluminum fastener where the first one listed is steel.

The only downside to the closed end rivet nut is that you have less fudge factor on hardware length, so you may want to wait until after they are installed in the roof to see how long the bolts need to be.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info and link. I'm guessing you think using rivet nuts (AVK version) is fine to do. You think it will hold up over time too? Should I use any kind of epoxy or sealant to lock in all in place.

I originally saw this posting that shows the installation can be done successfully - but doesn't really show the results over time. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/7905...k-installation

Also, anyone know the thickness of the Suburban sheet metal on the roof?

Best, Tim
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
MP&C

The AVK style has splines on the outside to keep them from spinning. The rivnuts are smooth outside, and have a keyway to prevent spinning, but they aren't as effective. So I don't think you would need any epoxy to hold anything, the sealant would probably be a good idea just to prevent any leaks. As long as the mounting pads match the contour of your roof where the bolts aren't pulling or tweaking the roof panel, they should last indefinitely. Your roof should be 19 gauge, or .0418" thick.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Hey, thanks so much. I'll be tackling this project in the spring, when it warms up a bit and I'll post some photos. Best, TT
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
hugger6933

The factory roof racks are held on by the riv nuts and have been as far back as I know of at least into the 1983 model year on the S-10 blazer. There were some spinning issuses early on with them but the later ones [late 80's and up] seem to have that problem resolved. The factory roof racks have the capacity clearly marked on the sides of them and usally in the 200 to 350 pound range so that means the General trusts them to about 500 to 650 poundws. They have to lower the ratings on stuff like that because of idiotic lawsuits. I think that you would have no problems with the rivnuts or some dirivitive of it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Hey Thanks...good information - I'm sure this will help more than just me. Best, TT