The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
insanecloud

camshaft help

i have a stock 350 in my 83 c10 and im wondering what kind/size of cam i should get for more power?
insanecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
donut

Re: camshaft help

Sure, go for it.

Seriously, more info would be nice so someone can give a good recommendation. Rear gears, type of driving, what's the truck used for, your expectations....

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
B Barber

An entire truck is pretty much built according to camshaft specs, from rear gears, to carburetor, to converter. I would give Comp Cams or which ever cam manufacturer you would like to use a call so that you can get an expert answer from the questions they will ask you.

1982 Sierra, 555 BBC, All Billet 700R4, Fab9 with 4.11's, Full 8.5 cert cage, 31x18x20 MT Sportsman S/R's on custom made 20x15 Amer. Racing Hopsters, 4-link with anti-roll bar and dual adj coilovers, Front drag shocks, Custom interior, and quite a bit more.
B Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Slammedsi

Its important to know your compression ratio. Here is a link. Read it and understand it before making a choice on your new cam.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._compatibility
Slammedsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
mplex2000

What these guys said. Main things:

Rear end gear?
Manual/Auto (what stall)?
What heads with what compression?
Intake/Carb + carb size?

Then, what kind of power do you want. If you're all stock with an auto and just want more oomph, it's pretty simple. Call any cam manufacturer, give them the info above and they'll recommend a small cam that should make a good difference in your all around tq/hp on the street and probably get you a little better MPG in the process.
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
meatwagon83

is it all stone stock? if it is nothing any bigger than a 262 advertised duration or about 214 duration @.050 lift
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
insanecloud

sorry i didnt put in the required info this is my first time putting in a new cam. Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake, Edelbrock Performer Carburetor 1406 600cfm, automatic trans i dont know if or what stall converter is since i havent taken the the trans out, i dont know what the compression ratio is on the heads since they are the ones it came with stock when i bought the truck, im pretty sure the rear end gears are 2.56, i dont know any info on the current cam, the truck is used as my summer driver for fun and im just looking for more oomph. i was just wondering what brands are good to go with.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
B Barber

In all actuality, none of the info you just mentions helps us help you. If you are looking for brands, I would consider Comp Cams or another famous and trusted brand. Most of the big name brand cams are actually ground by the same third party companies

1982 Sierra, 555 BBC, All Billet 700R4, Fab9 with 4.11's, Full 8.5 cert cage, 31x18x20 MT Sportsman S/R's on custom made 20x15 Amer. Racing Hopsters, 4-link with anti-roll bar and dual adj coilovers, Front drag shocks, Custom interior, and quite a bit more.
B Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If the truck is stock, then your converter is somewhere around an 1800 stall, with a 8.0 to 8.5 comprerssion ratio. The 2.56 gears are probably tied to a 350 or 350C automatic transmission. What size tires do you run on this truck and what type of driving do you do the most (City, or highway) and what speeds do you travel on the highways?

Quote: is it all stone stock? if it is nothing any bigger than a 262 advertised duration or about 214 duration @.050 lift :Quote

I would agree with this assumption for a stock engine, as a good basis. If nothing else go to a local engine rebuild shop and work from there for a cam recommendation.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
insanecloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
If the truck is stock, then your converter is somewhere around an 1800 stall, with a 8.0 to 8.5 comprerssion ratio. The 2.56 gears are probably tied to a 350 or 350C automatic transmission. What size tires do you run on this truck and what type of driving do you do the most (City, or highway) and what speeds do you travel on the highways?

Quote: is it all stone stock? if it is nothing any bigger than a 262 advertised duration or about 214 duration @.050 lift :Quote

I would agree with this assumption for a stock engine, as a good basis. If nothing else go to a local engine rebuild shop and work from there for a cam recommendation.
thank you