The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
ukc10

Tail gate letters

My '71 Fleetside has a smooth tailgate fitted. I have a set of 'CHEVROLET' letters I want to fit but require the following correct spacing dimensions:- from the outer edge of the tailgate to the outside edge of the C & T,bottom of the tailgate to lower edge of the letter and the space inbetween each letter. Any help would be appreciated as apart from placing the 'R' in the middle I have no further info.
Thanks.
ukc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
chevy72blu

Re: Tail gate letters

I'll take a look in my factory assembly manual tonight if no one else gets it for you. Not sure if it is there or not...

If not, I'll take dims off my truck.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Tinkermc

why not measure decal and find the middle. Then meaqsure the tailgate and mark the middle. Then align marks and whoppie !!! there U go.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
ukc10

Thanks for the quick reply. It's appreciated as I have a show on Sunday and would like to get it sorted.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
ukc10

Regarding measuring the decal it is a 3 piece set and the letters are not spaced correctly.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
SS Tim

The decals are intended for application on the factory tailgate which is debossed for the letters. The dimensions will not be in the assembly manual so direct measurements will be required from repeatable edge locations. Biggest thing after keeping them on a level plain will be the spacing. I'd pull the gate off for marking and installing the letters. Measuring and boxing (with tape) an upper and lower limit would be a good start then spacing the individual letters out after cutting them apart.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: Tail gate letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukc10 View Post
My '71 Fleetside has a smooth tailgate fitted. I have a set of 'CHEVROLET' letters I want to fit but require the following correct spacing dimensions:- from the outer edge of the tailgate to the outside edge of the C & T,bottom of the tailgate to lower edge of the letter and the space inbetween each letter. Any help would be appreciated as apart from placing the 'R' in the middle I have no further info.
Thanks.
I cannot help with dimensions, but from my experience, I'd pay a good trim shop to install them. Unfortunately, to look correct, the distance between each pair of letters often varies. If installed wrong, it shows from a "mile away".
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
I cannot help with dimensions, but from my experience, I'd pay a good trim shop to install them. Unfortunately, to look correct, the distance between each pair of letters often varies. If installed wrong, it shows from a "mile away".
Sam
This is true, they arent all the same. Here is a crude painted picture of mine. All these measurements were from the decal to decal at the closest point. EX: The distance from the V to R was measured from the very top right hand side of the V to the left edge of the R. The 10.25" measurements are from the edge of the gate to the closest part of the decal. The red line is the body line right above the decals. I hope this is what you were looking for, and good luck!

EDIT: WOW i thought that would be bigger. If you cant read any of that let me know...
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Tail gate letters

Hey king9, that looks great and should help someone doing it himself--assuming, of course, that both sets of letters are the same dimensions.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
ukc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
This is true, they arent all the same. Here is a crude painted picture of mine. All these measurements were from the decal to decal at the closest point. EX: The distance from the V to R was measured from the very top right hand side of the V to the left edge of the R. The 10.25" measurements are from the edge of the gate to the closest part of the decal. The red line is the body line right above the decals. I hope this is what you were looking for, and good luck!

EDIT: WOW i thought that would be bigger. If you cant read any of that let me know...
Looks good to me. Many thanks for your help.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
chevy72blu

Glad you got the dimensions. In case you screw one up, take a heat gun or blow dryer and heat them up before remove them. The heat makes them come off very easily without tearing. A razor is handy to have, as well.

Make sure you use a credit card or something similar and install from the top down. Its very easy to trap air bubble that make the end result less than stellar

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post

If you are going to try it your self....shoot a laser level across your tailgate and put masking tape down the line. Do that for the top of your lettering and again for your bottom.

Then do the math. Base it off of what King9 has displayed above and mark each letter on the masking tape. Once you are "confident" that you have the correct locations.....Begin laying the lettering in between the masking tape lines and the markings for your spacing.

I have done this several times with lettering on windshield banners and back windows. Only on windows you have to factor in the curvature of the glass.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
WIDESIDE72

Use soapy water in a squirt bottle to give you adjustability. Spray the surface then when you get the letters where you want, use a squeegee to work the soapy water out.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote