The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Unhappy Todays Progress and a few questions

Hey yall ,

Well i got the bed off today ,All by my self i might add . I went looking under closly and found ALOT wrong with it such as
1. Rear pass. side shock mount is twisted cut and plated (spot welded to)
2. the trailer hitch has been Horrible welding on and it warped my frame in spots
3. im missing a shock (never noticed )

Then i got under the cab and found a few minor problems , But ive been eye ballin 2 trucks with Stock un molested chassis 1. a 1971-72 K20 2. a 69 CST
I want a K20 cause im all for 4x4's and heavy duty but the gas mileage is what hits me hard. So for now im not doing anymore to my frame its all goin to the motor and body till i can find a solution. Any suggestions ?
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Square_78

Re: Todays Progress and a few questions

Save your money and get that 59 you keep talking about. I wouldn't keep putting money into these trucks that have so many issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

59 ? hahaha I think you got me confused bud i think your talkin bout GmcSchrum (sorry if i misspelled it im a horrible speller )
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

They Welded a crack in the Drive shaft ...And they did a horrible job ! WTF haha

Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Iron Hauler

I'm confused, isn't this project "Sour Diesel" you just started last week? If I remember you already have the Ford Dually rear shipped off being narrowed. Or is this project "Small Town Sleeper"?
Iron Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Im sorry bout the mix up small town sleeper is cancelled due to my new sponsers, this is Sour diesel , Im having second thoughts on the ford rear i found a 12 bolt full floating axle i might trade for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Hauler View Post
I'm confused, isn't this project "Sour Diesel" you just started last week? If I remember you already have the Ford Dually rear shipped off being narrowed. Or is this project "Small Town Sleeper"?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shaker View Post
59 ? hahaha I think you got me confused bud i think your talkin bout GmcSchrum (sorry if i misspelled it im a horrible speller )
Hahaha sorry man wrong person my bad. I got my threads mixed up.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
midniteblues

dude your truck looks to be in awesome shape!
everything that came on these trucks "worked" for how many years? why do you keep coming up with way too change something that has proven too work.
it looks too me that a good cleaning,4 matching tires,some sand paper,tape,paint and a respray is all thats needed but your allways trying or asking about changing stuff when it probally dont need it!
as for the fixes on the truck how do you know it was done poorly if it lasted this long.

i would like too see you stop worrying about nothing quit monkeying around and focus on what it needs not what "YOU THINK" should be done because that isnt "good for the truck".

now that you got the bed off (witch looks like you just dumped it off) go get your self some wire wheels,wire brushes, degreaser,and some paint and do the rear frame and under the bed floor sure it'll be some work and yes you'll have too focus on that till its done"if you can" but the end result will be rewarding.

why in the hell would you even consider putting a ford rear in it!!!! all that work and thought too change something thats not broke???? an if it was broke there is a million rears that would BOLT BACK IN!

you remind me soo much of my own kid its unbeliveable

focus on what it needs and see it through
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
BlackedOut67shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
dude your truck looks to be in awesome shape!
everything that came on these trucks "worked" for how many years? why do you keep coming up with way too change something that has proven too work.
it looks too me that a good cleaning,4 matching tires,some sand paper,tape,paint and a respray is all thats needed but your allways trying or asking about changing stuff when it probally dont need it!
as for the fixes on the truck how do you know it was done poorly if it lasted this long.

i would like too see you stop worrying about nothing quit monkeying around and focus on what it needs not what "YOU THINK" should be done because that isnt "good for the truck".

now that you got the bed off (witch looks like you just dumped it off) go get your self some wire wheels,wire brushes, degreaser,and some paint and do the rear frame and under the bed floor sure it'll be some work and yes you'll have too focus on that till its done"if you can" but the end result will be rewarding.

why in the hell would you even consider putting a ford rear in it!!!! all that work and thought too change something thats not broke???? an if it was broke there is a million rears that would BOLT BACK IN!

you remind me soo much of my own kid its unbeliveable

focus on what it needs and see it through
Grrrrr.... He is right though.. I still can't focus on what I want do do with my truck. It's a driver I sometimes overlook the things to make it reliable and just get other things for it and think about getting an overdrive tranny and airride when I should concentrate on what I can do to make sure it won't leave me sit on the side of the road like it has done to me a couple times.. midnightblues is gonna have the perfect truck when hes finished cause he's taking his time and doing things right.. even though his wallet is a little bigger than mine I could have done the same to mine. I made mine quick and my body work is already turning to crap so I will have to go over it again. Just take your time wit it and just think about when you do something you do it right so you won't have to go back and fix your mistakes like I have to fix mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Midniteblues Your right i Want my truck to look like most of the ntruck on the board but i dont focus on the Things i need to , I thought about it all night. Im just gonna Get it it in legal running reliable shape Then ill Start tweeking and making little changes, As for the ford rear im gonna talk to boots an see if we can just leave it out of the equation the rear in its still good so im not gonna mess with it. Im Gonna Focus on what it needs like the missing shocks, Exhaust , a few Electrical fixes ,and a few misc. things like seals an weather striping. Ill need this truck in november so i dont have alot of time to mess around. I Gotta lot of focus problems an my truck is one of them , i guess i just want everything to be perfect and right now i cant afford perfect but ill work my way up to it , Thanks guys i Apresheate the Advice!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shaker View Post
Im sorry bout the mix up small town sleeper is cancelled due to my new sponsers, this is Sour diesel , Im having second thoughts on the ford rear i found a 12 bolt full floating axle i might trade for
To my knowledge... there is no such animal as a FF 12 bolt rear end. There are conversion kits available to make a 12 bolt a FF... but with the availability of 14 bolt FF's at decent prices, it seems like a waste of money.

Seems like you're finding stuff to do to your rig for the sake of finding stuff to do to your rig. Pick a goal, and keep at it...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

I just started cleanin up the frame like midnite said ...with a wire brush , next im going to finish the tail light wiring then put the bed back on. Then when my check gets here im going down to wallmart for 12 cans of primer 12 cans of mettalic blue and some sanding pads come home and start working the paint magic ...dose that sound like a good plan ?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Unless it's a show truck... why bother with the frame?

Toss the bed back on and have fun with it.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
BlackedOut67shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Unless it's a show truck... why bother with the frame?

Toss the bed back on and have fun with it.

Gary
Be nice to get it done while he has access to it. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

GAS i like the idea i mean the cabs fallin apart along with the bed Besides this is my high school Truck soooo ...Ill prolly just put it back together till money allows other wise ...On the other hand I Scored a part time job today!!!....down at the Ford house (out town car dealership/Shop)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Congrats on the job!

Yup... just drive it... mess around like a HS kid should.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

The Next time you See my truck itll look Completley diffrent haha A lil hint Black satin red lace Thanks for the Advice Gas Im gonna have fun with this thing , Even got my fishin boat all ready to hit Pk next weekend!