The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
SalvoWs6

"Troll Mater" 68 sleeper build

hey guys, new here. could have sworn I was already registered here but apparently not. anyways wanted to post up a little about my build I am entering the finishing stages of. truck is a 68 short stepper I pulled out of a field for $400 a couple of years ago and did a full frame-off resto on. swapped in full 72 power disc brakes, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, 5 lug, and hydroboost brake system from my dad's old truck. now I have swapped in a 5.3 LM7 from a 99 silverado and a muncie HM290 5 speed. finally got it all up and basically running but still got alot more to go. next it will be receiving a single 76mm turbo and supporting fuel system. truck currently sits at 2550 lbs ALL STEEL. I was rather shocked to see it this light, but very happy. I have performed all work myself in a single car carport. the goal is to have an old beater truck that noone will think twice about, even after looking it over. until they see it lay down a high 9 second pass. yet maintian some streetability as I do plan to drive the truck semi-locally on occasion. here's some pics and a vid of my first start. let me know what you guys think

SalvoWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
SalvoWs6

Re: "Troll Mater" 68 sleeper build

and BTW yes the outside is being left as it is. rust holes and all. truck is being setup to compete in local 1/8th mile 275 drag radial class also. going after my friend's turbo firebird
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Tinkermc

wish you the very best of luck, I will be rootin 4 U
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
67c10rustbuket

Super cool !

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
NewType72

badass idea man would love to see the trans am smoked by a "grandpa's" truck as I've heard mine called certainly surprises them when we roll by hahaha

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
SalvoWs6

thanks guys. he's going to be tough to beat, car runs 6.0's in the 1/8 and 9.20's in the 1/4. running a very similar setup as me but with a th400 and he's got a heavier car. but he also makes a good bit more power than I will so it will be interesting. I also have an Ls1 Trans Am as a daily driver (hence the screen name) and that was what made me decide to go the LS route in the truck. I had a 412 cube SBC setup to go in it but found the LS was cheaper, lighter, and could handle the same power stock as what I would have had to build the bottom end of the sbc to handle.
this truck was actually riding the coat tails of my dad's old truck that had quite a reputation locally as "the farm truck". 72 long bed, but it had a 461ci Olds motor that was worked pretty well. certainly surprised a few mustangs, and alot of imports. going to go out and play with the truck some more tonight and see what kinda progress I can make. I'm still trying to locate a clutch that will hold this setup and doesn't cost as much as the rest of the truck. I only have about $1500 in the whole project so far
Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
dan42

So your dad is the farm truck man, eh? With the dog in the front seat? The videos on that truck have been going around this site for a long time - that truck is killer! I'm glad to see you are carrying on the ultimate sleeper tradition. I love sleepers, they are the opposite of a lot of these trailer queens you see in the shows. Keep us posted!
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
SalvoWs6

unfortunately not that one. my dad's was running around long before that one was, but that one just got more video coverage. the only time his got raced was when I drove it sadly. it was more of a local legend. but that red one has been a large inspiration on my build. along with another one I recently discovered on youtube that looks almost identical to mine, and running nearly the same setup even. having some tuning issues right now, but I have been finishing up the other wiring and brake plumbing etc getting the truck ready to roll. I will be running it on motor for now and dialing in the suspension and getting familiar with the tune and such. this will give me time to gather my turbo parts and necessary fuel system to support it. I have a rather strange group of friends I guess. we all like to build the most out of the box projects. I have this, my closest friend has a high 11 second turbo geo, another friend built a festiva with a turbo capri motor, and another one is currently building a turbo lexus v8 powered rx7. I guess we like headaches lol

btw here is my dad's truck. made 450 hp, 550 ft lbs all motor. bottom end was forged and ready for nitrous, but never got the chance to need it before the truck lost it's battle with cancer and was parted out

Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
SalvoWs6

so the truck has been shoved out of the shop for a few days again while I work on the daily. it decided to fill the alternator with power steering fluid making a huge mess. so I'm replacing/doing a bunch of other little things to it while it's apart and I wait for a new alternator to get here. I will be picking up a set of seats for the truck this week though. also talked to a local chassis builder and I think I will be putting a roll bar in the truck after all. gonna be hard to hide the bars though. oh well. price to play the game I guess
Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
SalvoWs6

picked up an important piece of the puzzle today. since I am planning on running some RS275 class action, I have to stay below a 76mm wheel. but there are no restrictions on housing sizes. sooo...

btw the "little" turbo on the left is a holset HX55 68mm. and to give an overall idea of just how big this thing is:

some are saying my 5.3 won't spool it, and if it does it won't be until 2nd or 3rd gear. same people said that about my buddies geo with a Hy35 and his is doing just fine. so we'll see. worst case, I will go with the original plan and pick up and on3 76mm later on
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
SalvoWs6

cleaned up the engine bay wiring and plumbing some. oh and mock fitted the turbo in to see just how I am going to manage this huge thing
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Should be a heckuva ride when your done!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
SalvoWs6

Just wanted to chime in here with an update, the truck is almost done. ran it on the turbo pictured above non intercooled on 5psi and it was WILD. but the turbo self destructed for some reason, so now it has a whole new setup. 78mm GT45, air to water intercooler, 38mm wastegate, 6.0 heads with comp valve springs, head studs and MLS gaskets. just waiting on my 80lb injectors to get here and we will get some new numbers with it. should be good for 650-700whp. trying to crack 5's in the 1/8th

BTW I have found out my 3.73 aren't working well with this turbo setup. anyone have 3.42s they would trade?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
SalvoWs6

here is the new setup. All done, waiting on a tune and new v band for my down pipe. going to see what it does on this setup, if it doesn't do what I am hoping for, I am ready to pull the trigger on a Devil's Own water/meth kit. My tuner said to hold off until he sees what he can do with it as is. I am hopeful, as is he. It seems to have garnered a large following of haters already as well. Oh well, can't have success without someone getting mad I guess.