The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Budget questions for nasty build

As you can tell from the title, I'm on a budget and I want to build a nasty engine as much as I can on my budget. Horsepower is nice, but I'm looking to build torque. The engine I decide to go with is going to be in a 1963 suburban. I want to build it to see some strip time (hence why I want torque), but all a street rod to cruise around in. Maybe go to some shows. Not worried about mpg.

My budget is $3k.

I want to do a big block. Thinking 454 since I can get one pretty cheap. Its efi motor. It's complete with all the wiring for $500. If I took this rout, that would leave me with $2,500 to build off of. What would be the best parts to get to build what I want out of this motor?

Any other ideas or suggestions for what to build, please also put your input in. I don't really want a sbc. Wanting a bbc.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
tinydb84

Re: Budget questions for nasty build

At 3k you might be able to do a rebuild on it.

Use the stock crank and rods. New pistons. Find some 049 heads. Howard cams makes a roller retro fit for pretty cheap.

You can get a stroker crank pretty cheap....
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
JointTech

look up the blue collar build on carquest.com
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you spend your money wisely, you can build a 454 for $3K. To save a little money so it can be used elsewhere, I would suggest a used intake, carburator and possibly the headers. Those can also be easily changed out later on when more funds are available.

I would recommend going with a roller cam if at all possible. Depending on just how new that engine is, you may be able to go with the factory style roller cam and lifters. That alone will save you some $$. A set of 049 or 781 heads would be nice, but you can still build a decent engine with whatever heads come on the engine. Check out Vortec Pro in Colorado to see what can be done with the small port big block heads. More than likely with what ever heads you go with, you will need a piston with somewhat of a dome, to get your compression where it should be. But of course that will ultimately be determined when you decide on what heads you will use. The cam also plays a part in that decision.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you spend your money wisely, you can build a 454 for $3K. To save a little money so it can be used elsewhere, I would suggest a used intake, carburator and possibly the headers. Those can also be easily changed out later on when more funds are available.

I would recommend going with a roller cam if at all possible. Depending on just how new that engine is, you may be able to go with the factory style roller cam and lifters. That alone will save you some $$. A set of 049 or 781 heads would be nice, but you can still build a decent engine with whatever heads come on the engine. Check out Vortec Pro in Colorado to see what can be done with the small port big block heads. More than likely with what ever heads you go with, you will need a piston with somewhat of a dome, to get your compression where it should be. But of course that will ultimately be determined when you decide on what heads you will use. The cam also plays a part in that decision.
I have some parts laying around off my last 454 I had, but I'm not sure if those parts will fit this model of engine. I had a 454 out of a 73 chevy. I have headers, carb, and aluminum intake. If I put a carb on it, then it won't be efi right?

Also whats the benefit of switching to a carb motor rather than keeping it efi?
And if I do switch to carb, do I still necessarily need all the wiring for the engine?
And last question for now, why do you recommend getting 049 or 781 heads?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Your headers and intake should bolt onto a Gen V and possibly a Gen VI big block. I don't think the intake bolt pattern or anything else changed between the Gen IV and Gen V and VI. I'm not real familar with the Gen V and VI big blocks.

That is correct, if you change over to a carburator, you have to eliminate the EFI. There is no way you could rebuild this engine, and also keep it EFI and stay within your budget. Going with a carb will allow you a little more freedom in building the engine as opposed to EFI. If you convert to a caeb, you do not need any of the wiring that was used on that engine originally. All you will need are the basics for the engine to run. Basically what was in your '63 Suburban originally, but with a couple upgrades such as an HEI distributor and an internally regulated alternator. The 049 and 781 head castings are a couple of the best flowing factory big block heads. The 820 castings are good as well. However I don't think you can use either of those heads if that engine is a Gen V or VI. Someone else that is more familar with them may be able to give you a more accurate answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I have some parts laying around off my last 454 I had, but I'm not sure if those parts will fit this model of engine. I had a 454 out of a 73 chevy. I have headers, carb, and aluminum intake. If I put a carb on it, then it won't be efi right?

Also whats the benefit of switching to a carb motor rather than keeping it efi?
And if I do switch to carb, do I still necessarily need all the wiring for the engine?
And last question for now, why do you recommend getting 049 or 781 heads?

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-27-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
RockTonka

Pretty much what we did on our 66 burb...049 heads on a Gen VI block, forged domes, stage 3 cam, carb, HEI, and what not. Had a shop in Houston do the long block...there's a few things that need to be done to make it all work. $3000 is doable but depending on how much machine work is needed (if your farming it out) it may not be enough. Line bore, precision balance, deck block/heads, 3-angle valve job, etc., may be luxuries that don't fit in your budget. Carb/intake/headers should still work for you...I think

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTonka View Post
Pretty much what we did on our 66 burb...049 heads on a Gen VI block, forged domes, stage 3 cam, carb, HEI, and what not. Had a shop in Houston do the long block...there's a few things that need to be done to make it all work. $3000 is doable but depending on how much machine work is needed (if your farming it out) it may not be enough. Line bore, precision balance, deck block/heads, 3-angle valve job, etc., may be luxuries that don't fit in your budget. Carb/intake/headers should still work for you...I think
How much hp and trq are you making? An estimated guess will work too.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
tinydb84

I would guess 450 maybe 500 with a lot of head work and a larger cam
Posted via Mobile Device
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
RockTonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
How much hp and trq are you making? An estimated guess will work too.
I'd be doing good to get 400 to the ground...

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
gofastnut

Subscribed! I'm wanting to do the 454 for under $3000 also. I've got a good block, steel crank and 049 heads, just patiently waiting for those every once in a while deals to get an intake and other what not's
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
low&slow
Account Suspended

RockTonka - Do you have any idea what the torque is?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
low&slow
Account Suspended

I'm assuming the 049 and 781 heads are cast, but what about aluminum heads? If you can buy aluminum heads that are the 049 or 781 heads, would I still be able to stay in my budget range?

Also, if they do make the heads in aluminum, what's the difference in cast and aluminum?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A good set of aluminum big block heads will start at $2K
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
gofastnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
A good set of aluminum big block heads will start at $2K

Yep, true dat! I'd love having less weight on the front end of my truck, but can't afford those beautiful aluminum heads to do it!
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
low&slow
Account Suspended

Well shoot then lol.

So then with getting the block prepped, buying pistons, cleaning up the heads (either 049 or 781), having the crank balanced and buying misc parts, wouldn't just all that put me over $3k?

I went and looked at the motor today and my friend told me its a 1996 model. Complete efi motor that I will be switching over to carb. All the parts I have listed are for a 1973 454 so tell me if they will work on this newer motor: holley 750 double pump, aluminum high rise intake, headers, all necessary pulley's (for 73 motor), newer lifters to match comp cam. Will those parts fit a '96 engine?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #17
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A '96 454 should have the factory roller cam. I would definitely stay with a factory style roller cam. You may be able to reuse the roller lifters, providing they check out. If not you can get new factory style roller lifters for about $130.00. Then you will just need an aftermarket, factort style roller cam. There are even some GM roller cams that would give you a boost in power.

As far as I know, the intake you have should bolt to those heads. You will want to take the distributor gear from the Vortec distributor, and install that onto your HEI distributor. You need that melonized distributor gear with the roller cam.

If you don't want to run the serpentine accessory drive, you can convert it back to V-belt pulleys. You will have to change the water pump, when doing that.

You should be able to sell the Vortec injection from that engione, and make a couple bucks on that.