The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
ColoradoK5

Re: Back on the road!

What are you guys using for a big brake kit up front and rear disc brakes on 4wd's? Braking isnt horrible now but would like more stopping power

Last edited by ColoradoK5; 07-19-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Rear disc?
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
GhostTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 View Post
What are you guys using for a big brake kit up front and rear disc brakes on 4wd's? Braking isnt horrible now but would like more stopping power
I just added a hydroboost, Bendix ceramic pads, and stainless steel lines, to brand new stock rotors, calipers, and drums, to slow down very standard sized 31 x 10.50R15's on a 4x4.

I went from almost having manual brakes due to low vacuum caused by a large cammed 383, to being able to stand the truck on it's nose at will. My K5 now stops better than anything I've ever owned in the past. Very smooth, too.

GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
ColoradoK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
I just added a hydroboost, Bendix ceramic pads, and stainless steel lines, to brand new stock rotors, calipers, and drums, to slow down very standard sized 31 x 10.50R15's on a 4x4.

I went from almost having manual brakes due to low vacuum caused by a large cammed 383, to being able to stand the truck on it's nose at will. My K5 now stops better than anything I've ever owned in the past. Very smooth, too.

I have never really messed with hydroboost where did you get the unit and what is involved? Thanks any help would be a great help
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
GhostTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 View Post
I have never really messed with hydroboost where did you get the unit and what is involved? Thanks any help would be a great help
This is where I got my unit.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

The info pages do a great job of explaining how and why they work so well. Basically, I dumped my vacuum booster and now get my power assist from the power steering pump. Tons of power, and smooth.

I had mine professionally installed.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote