The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Harddrivinman

Help with steering problem

Hey guys.... I have a 1990 gas motor suburban body. On an 86 diesel chassis. The truck has a 1994 good wrench crate 6.2 with a banks kit. Color red. Interior tan. I was driving one day and with out notice the steering wheel felt for a moment to not be connected to the wheels. So for example. Now. Later on after I have replaced everything. Pump hoses gear box and hydro unit. I pull out of my driveway. Turn right. And the wheels turn further to the right than the steering wheel has been turned...... I correct back to the left and again the tires jump further than the wheel is turned. When correcting the steering wheel feels slightly hard to turn only for a moment the. Then suddenly the tires have go e twice as far to the one side as i have turned the wheel. almost putting me in the other lane of oncoming traffic..... Sometimes the steering wheel feels slightly harder to turn then the wheels jump to one side and the steering wheel feels like its not even connected to anything.... Like I said earlier. The gear box was replaced first when the problem first happened. That fixed the problem..... For a few weeks.... Then. It started again. Out of no where. Changed the box again.... Fixed for a few weeks then happened again..... Wtf. So now I get a new hydroboost unit. Changed and did not fix the problem. Now I have a new problem on top of the already existing loss of steering problem. I go to bleed the hydro unit. And with the key on and front axle off the ground. I can't turn the steering wheel. If I crank on it fluid spits out of the pump resevior. The resevior is divorced from the pump. Way up high. With a hose connecting down to the pump. So.... I have steering while engine is running and driving but not when it it shut off. Can't turn the wheel. At all. The brakes work perfect. I did a disc conversion in the rear with a full float 14 bolt. And a disc disc master cylinder. My next step is I have no f...... Idea. Wheel bearings are tight steering damper is new. Ball joints are new. Tie rods are new. Front end is 100% any ideas or comments will help. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Harddrivinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Harddrivinman

Re: Help with steering problem

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
70-K5
Account Suspended

Has this problem always been there? Who did the body swap engine install?

Have you changed the PS pump? Sounds like it may be under powered.

You can't turn the steering wheel with the engine off? Are you a big guy? You should always be able to use the steering, albeit with some elbow grease.

Is the suspension stock or is it lifted at all? If lifted do you have correct drag link geometry?

When you replaced the master cylinder did you replace the proportioning valve too?

Edit: Just saw the picture, looks awesome!
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Harddrivinman

No the problem just started out of the blue on day. No brake pro portioning valves anywhere front or back. I took them out. Lifted 6 inches. Done right. Steering geometry is right on. I am 6'2" 190 no fat. Yes I can turn the wheel hard e ought to blast fluid out or the resivior. It should not do that. Never did till the new hydro unit. Stuck vlave I guess. I can put another one in. But my steering problem is still there now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Harddrivinman

When it happened the first time I changed the box. That worked for a short time. Then it came back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
70-K5
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrivinman View Post
No brake pro portioning valves anywhere front or back. I took them out.
Hmm, never heard of that being done. Not to get off track but why would you take out the proportioning valve?

Quote:
Lifted 6 inches. Done right. Steering geometry is right on.
Do you have a raised steering arm or dropped pitman arm?

Quote:
I am 6'2" 190 no fat. Yes I can turn the wheel hard e ought to blast fluid out or the resivior. It should not do that. Never did till the new hydro unit. Stuck vlave I guess. I can put another one in. But my steering problem is still there now.
gotcha, misread the first post, I thought the steering wheel was stuck without the engine on... my bad. Where'd you get the hydroboost? Reman? You can't really reverse any hoses right?
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Harddrivinman

Raised steering arm. Came with the lift kit. Proportioning valves removed so there was one less thing to cause brake problems. They don't do anything as far as I know. My brakes work perfect with out them. There was a sensor on it for some warning light. But I figure if I have A brake problem. I don't need a light to tell me that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Harddrivinman

If the truck if off. And key on. I can wiggle the steering wheel. And the tiny bit that the wheel moves. Dorys tires. Everything is perfectly tight. New shaft. Rag joint everything is perfect. Input from the wheel manually is spot on. It is definitely hydroulic just can figure out where. The hydro is from the zone.... I had three boxes for them that we're junk In a row. So I probably have to get a new hydro from my buddy mike. Oem off a military truck. Autozone reman parts suck!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

you've checked the steering frame area for cracks?
ball joints binding?
and is there an RPM difference gas to diesel running the steering pump?
nice truck!
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote