The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
TATTOO2131

Rack and Pinion 65 panel

Thinking of putting a Crown Victoria aluminum Rack and pinion suspension on my 65 panel. Has anyone out there down anything like this. It appears that I will just have to do a little welding and modifying steering column. I understand they are a great unit to Airride. Any wisdom to stop or proceed with my insanity. I am also getting the rear end to go with it. Putting discs all the way around.
TATTOO2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Rack and Pinion 65 panel

The worse part about these old trucks is the crossmember.
It hangs too low when lowered, and worse when you air ride the front.

I would spend your money on a Dropmember to increase the ground clearance.
There are three versions that give you 1", 2', or 3" additional ground clearance.
All use a rack and pinion steering.
They center the wheels in the wheelwell.
And they correct ALL the issues associated with the stock GM front end.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

The Thunderbird rack fits the C10 chassis, but requires welding, and bit of figuring.

If your good with a welder or have a friend who is. You can section your cross member 1.5 inches or possibly more with a rack and pinion.

You can also Z your frame, and move the cross member forward the inch to center the wheels. Then while at it you can move you lower a arm forward 1 inch in comparison to the upper for much better handling.

If you look around you can rebuild every thing along the way, and be alot cheaper then a drop member.

It just won't look as cool, but if you have a front end not many will see it anyways.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
DREAMER1

Personally I'd go with a dropmember myself. It keeps the guessing game and math to a minimum.

I used the 79-93 mustang rack and pinion on mine. Then you either buy 2 steering u-links or get em off of an Astro van.
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
TATTOO2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMER1 View Post
Personally I'd go with a dropmember myself. It keeps the guessing game and math to a minimum.

I used the 79-93 mustang rack and pinion on mine. Then you either buy 2 steering u-links or get em off of an Astro van.
Posted via Mobile Device
I checked out a Mustang R&P and decided more bang for my buck with the Crown Vic front end, all aluminum.. The only thing I have to do is widen my frame like 3.5 inches on each side and it bolts on without any welding of front end. Advantage as I see it is the aluminum which can be polished if I chose to. Also the bigger hubs and rotors. Out of the gate it will lower my front end approx 4" without event touching the shocks or the springs. The best part is that I got the complete front end and complete 8.8 rear end for 300.00 and it came out of a cop car. As mod progresses I will post pics and also will post utube vid. Thanks for your input. Pics attached.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Chevysdominate

I think you should go for it. I've seen that same front end used on a number of older vehicles that had terrible stock suspension. Everything from trucks to older hot rods. They're cheap too if you look around. Keep use updated if you go that route.
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
TATTOO2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevysdominate View Post
I think you should go for it. I've seen that same front end used on a number of older vehicles that had terrible stock suspension. Everything from trucks to older hot rods. They're cheap too if you look around. Keep use updated if you go that route.
Yea thanks, that's my plan. Picked up the front and rear end today. Will start pulling old stuff off this week and get to mocking up new gear. Will continue to post picks on the mod. Will be mounting a built 350 once things are ready. This front end gives me the versatility to mount the motor as far back or forward as needed.