The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
hogcruzen

pleas help in suspension kit

I am a little overwhelmed . i want to lower my 86 short bed but i want to know a good kit. i want to go 3 in the front and 5 in the back . this will be my first time so good instructions are a must. i also cant make my mind to keep 15" wheels or 18 or 20". i want a wide rear tire but stay at at 28" tall. any ideas ?
hogcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
C_Ruiz

Re: pleas help in suspension kit

You could Try CPP, ECE or mcgaughys for a 3/5 kit. I've only had experience with CPP. I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here have used the other 2 companies mentioned and will chime in soon enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
C_Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
66 C10 383

I don't know which "kit" would be best for your truck. Here's some ideas to think about for the front. I'm using the 73-87 spindles on my 66 so that's all I can help with as my rear coil spring truck would be different than your leaf spring truck.

Okay, you want a 3" drop in front. Do you want to get there with springs, spindles, or both. Both will be more expensive as you're buying both. You could cut your stock springs but however much you cut is what you have to live with.

Using Summit as a reference, spindles are available in a 2", 2.5", and 3" drop. If you wanted just the 3" drop, use the 3" DJM or Belltech spindles and stock front springs.

If you was wanting to freshen up your suspension while your that close and get new springs anyway, I'd look at the 2.5" spindles and probably a 1" drop spring for a 3.5" drop since you can't find a .5" drop spring.

You could also just go with spring only. Lowering springs are available in 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3". The more drop spring you use, the less suspension travel you'll have. Where I live, I didn't want to give up much travel so I went with a 1.5" drop spring and a 2.5" drop spindle for a 4" drop.

Just some items to ponder on ...
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That's a straightforward project.

For a 3 inch front drop, spindles. Summit will ship them for free. DJM or Belltech. I'm running DJM on my current truck and have run Belltech on many previous trucks. DJM is cheaper priced.

In the rear, use a flip kit. That gets you 5 inches of drop.

Use a good pair of stock shocks in the front and drop shocks in the rear. It will ride as good as stock, align perfectly, and no cutting or drastic mods needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote