The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
79 silverado
Account Suspended

To buy or not to buy: 99 Passport project

I'm still not entirely sure why I'm thinking of doing it, but, here's the story:

A co-worker of mine has a 99 passport ex 4wd that he owned since new. In the past 18 months or so he put $1000 in brand new 17" michelins on it, $1800 in all new cv boots/axles, new brakes on all four corners, climate control switches and parts and such, etc. He had the truck gone through to fix up for his 17 year old daughter to use.

You guessed it, she rear ended someone in a fairly low speed collision while messing with an ipod headed over to a starbucks... only a couple hundred feet after leaving the entrance to their street no less. Impact didn't pop the air bags, but did (according to him) mess up the bumper/grille, and managed to make leaks in the oil cooler, a/c condenser, and the radiator. He said the hood is still straight, but, I think the core support must have moved at least a little since he said it doesn't release freely.

At this point she's not going to get to keep the car and he said if I want it as a light project to fix up I can have it, clean title and all, for $1000. Is this thing worth it? Anyone ever need to do front end metal work on a car like this? I'm concerned on fixing the front end with teh airbags, is it hard to work around them so they do not pop before or after I work on changing out metal and brackets as necessary?

I'm thinking of going to see it at the tow yard to make up my mind, apparently the cops ordered it towed due to the fluid leakage... then again, I'm also not sure what really to look for on a new suv like this with a non-removable welded sub structure, on the older trucks if its bent you unbolt and replace it, but not so much here...

Any thoughts, tips, or advice?
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote