The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Should I do it or not is the ? now

So I got a 69 c10 and got all my plans set out for doing a steel tilt front end. Problem is, is I don't like the style of the 69 nose. I really like the 67 style nose. Should I just go ahead and build what I have planned on the 69 nose and possibly ruin a good front clip for someone else who may need one or should I just wait (for who knows how long) till I can find a good 67 nose or buy all new parts?

Thing about me is, I hate the thought of possibly ruining original parts when I'm sure there is someone out their that could use my 69 front clip or even need it. I'd much rather find a %&*tty 67 nose and sell my 69 nose or buy a remanufactured front clip. But at the same time, I don't have the cash to buy new front clip and not too excited about the idea of selling my front clip and having no front clip at for who knows how long till I find what I want.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't get too motivated anymore to work on my truck and to do the tilt, I already have the stuff to do it and planned out. So should I just go ahead and do the tilt with the 69 nose or not?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
marvgarr68

Re: Should I do it or not is the ? now

If you want the 67 style do the 67 style if you do not you will look at it all the time and think I should have done it. Go to the junk yard and get a 67/68 front clip they are the same 67/68 shouldnt be that much if its junked.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591188
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvgarr68 View Post
If you want the 67 style do the 67 style if you do not you will look at it all the time and think I should have done it. Go to the junk yard and get a 67/68 front clip they are the same 67/68 shouldnt be that much if its junked.
I understand what you're saying, just I'm tight on cash with finding a house and getting a job. Working on the truck is just a stress reliever for me.

Let me rephrase a bit, I Will eventually be getting a 67/68 front clip, but right now right now, I want to do the tilt. What I'm asking is, should I just go a head and do the tilt on my 69 clip and when funds are available, get/find the clip I really want? Or should I wait until I find a 67/68 clip?

I really don't mind doing all the work twice on two different clips, but it's just the thought of "possibly" ruining the clip I already have. The reason why I say ruin is because if I was to do the tilt on my 69 clip and later found a 67/68 clip, I really don't think I'd be able to sell my steel tilt 69 clip.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I think you have answered your own question. I would also think that there is much more value in a 69 front clip that is not modified. You may not be able to sell it once it is set up for the tilt. There is always someone looking for good clean sheet metal for these trucks.

Look on the parts board here and you will always find good deals on 67/68 sheet metal. Take it in baby steps and buy one piece at a time and it won't be such a huge financial burden.

Just my thoughts.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

A good idea would be to find some rough (scrap grade) sheet metal components ( that arent really usable-rusty dented, etc) and do a trial run on your tilt front plan and see if its gonna work like you want it before you try on good vintage metal. You should be able to scrounge on CL scrap grade components to work out the bugs on-then scrap it yourself and not really be out any cash for the trail project. If it works like you thought, then buy good 67/68 clip and charge on
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

We're talking about a matter of personal taste and preference here, as it pertains to which front nose a person prefers. I like 67/68 front ends, but I also like '69 front ends. The problem, is that the '69 you've got may not be getting a fair comparison, if you haven't got it restored and painted correctly. I see so many 69/70 grilles, where all the black paint is faded, the Chevrolet letters down the center are gone, the headlight trim is no longer black or was switched to chrome, and the inner grille has been all spray painted black instead of factory gray/silver which gives more depth. Where there's so much metal on the '69 grille, there may be all sorts of dents. Often times, people also don't have a properly restored bow tie hood emblem. This all adds up to make for a lousy looking front end if it isn't restored properly. The 67/68 is easier to get away with neglect because it is so simple.

The other thing to remember, is that you'll need a slant nose hood and the Chevrolet letters that go across the front lip of the hood.

Personally, I'd just leave it as a '69, provided you already have a properly restored '69 front end, or can restore it properly. Keep it a '69, enjoy it, and one day buy an additional 67/68 truck

Here's mine

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
c10Dream'n

my vote is to keep the 69' grille being that everything is already there.
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote