The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Chrome8

Big block short box identification.

I'm trying to figure out if a truck that I'm looking at is truly a short box big block truck from the factory. It's being represented that way, and the glovebox door says big block 115.0 inch wheel base but I would like to know if there is any other way to tell what it left the factory as. The truck has been restored so they could have printed a new glovebox label or just used a different glovebox door. I heard from a friend of mine that the firewall is different on a Big Block truck but I don't know if he knows what he's talking about or not. Any help would be appreciated. It makes quite a bit of difference in what these trucks are worth right?
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
uncle

Re: Big block short box identification.

Weight on vin tag on the middle one should be same. Not sure what swb wt is. There are 3 different wt on vin tag.
Posted via Mobile Device
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
SS Tim

There are generally clues. To what level has this been restored? What does the SPID look like? Is there any documentation? How hard have you looked at this truck?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Chrome8

It's an older restoration about 10 years, I've only seen pictures. It looks like they did a really nice job (didn't paint over the hood hinges or door striker plates) I'm going to look at it tonight. I would like to just write the guy a check if it's the right price and is in the condition that he's told me it is in. the SPID looks weathered and original but I've only seen pictures. The truck was painted a different color during restoration.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
ls1nova71

Dual exhaust hangers on the rear of the frame are riveted on at the factory and pretty hard to fake. If they're bolted on or missing all together, I would say it was a small block.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Bob B.

Correct me if I am wrong fellas, but didn't all the Big Block short wheelbase trucks have the large hump cab regardless of transmission?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
Correct me if I am wrong fellas, but didn't all the Big Block short wheelbase trucks have the large hump cab regardless of transmission?
Not sure about the big block three-speed trucks, maybe Special-K remembers. But it makes sense, if you are going to the trouble of heat shields to use a big tunnel to move air as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Chrome8

Well, I just got back from looking at this truck with an empty trailer. He didn't accept my offer unfortunately. It wasn't nearly as nice as the photos showed or he told me. I took a buddy of mine who is a good wrench with me. He didn't have any documentation other than what is on the truck. I asked for it and the kid gave me the protecto-plate to look at when I got there. It was a 4x4 Vin on the protecto so I think he was trying to spoof me, he claimed he got it mixed up with another truck he once had....whatever. The vin tag on the drivers door jamb matched the glovebox door. The truck was originally ochre and white, now it's red and white. (according to the SPID) Both the SPID and the vin plate were taped off when the truck was painted red. The vin plate states the GVW @ 5400 LB. It is a High hump truck, has a 400 trans has the air that the SPID says it should. Someone added a tilt to it and a tach but both work. Underneath the frame is nice and smooth, doesn't show any signs of being cut. We checked both sides. I didn't get to check this post before I left so I didn't see if there were two factory exhaust brackets riveted to the frame. The dollar area that I offered him for the truck leaves me hoping that it's a true shorty 400 w/air etc. But without being able to document it can I sell it as such when I'm done fixing it up? (considering he ultimately comes to my price) Oh, it's a Cheyenne super too.

Last edited by Chrome8; 07-03-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Chrome8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle View Post
Weight on vin tag on the middle one should be same. Not sure what swb wt is. There are 3 different wt on vin tag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes the weights are the same! But I only recall seeing 2 weights on the tag. 5400 LB. I should've taken pictures. We crawled all over this thing.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
green72s

Did the truck in fact have the heat shield on the cab for the exhaust system? Is it supposed to be a matching numbers truck? If so, you may find some numbers on the block that correspond to numbers on the VIN. Even if their are no VIN numbers that appear on the block, the date code on the engine numbers should correlate to the VIN date within reason.
green72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
Chrome8

He's representing the truck as a Factory 402 with air tilt and automatic, the seller bought it 2 years ago from the guy that restored it 10 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the heat shield when I was underneath the truck. I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given in this post. I haven't been active on the board in a long time but this board has been really helpful. I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith because I can't take my last offer back so if I get it I'll have to look for the numbers on the block etc.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I don't have the GVW numbers handy (or memorized).but a big block truck will have a slightly higher GVW than same model SBC or 6 cyl.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
Chrome8

thanks to all who chimed in, it helped me feel more comfortable that this was the real deal. I really think it is. He told me that he would possibly accept my offer if he doesn't sell it for what he wants over the holiday weekend. So now I'll wait. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Chrome8

One more thing if anyone knows the answer to this question. The SPID states heavy rear springs but when I looked under the truck I just saw stock coils. Is this truck supposed to have leafs as a SWB with Heavy Rear Springs? Someone told me that the coil trucks had a helper 1/2 leaf that meets a bump stop when you load it down. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Bigdav160

Quote:
Someone told me that the coil trucks had a helper 1/2 leaf that meets a bump stop when you load it down.
I had a LWB C-10 that had option G60

I doubt it was required option for a BB truck
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sounds like a real nice truck hope to hear ya get it..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8 View Post
One more thing if anyone knows the answer to this question. The SPID states heavy rear springs but when I looked under the truck I just saw stock coils. Is this truck supposed to have leafs as a SWB with Heavy Rear Springs? Someone told me that the coil trucks had a helper 1/2 leaf that meets a bump stop when you load it down. Not sure if this is correct or not.
From your questions it seems like you have done very little research and "Someone told me..." tells me you are not prepared to make an informed buying decision.

But on the '72 C10 (either wheel base) rear springs there are a number of possible configurations.

Coil Springs and options:
Base rear coil springs rated at 1400lb each, no notation on the SPID.
+HD rear coils rated at 2000lb each RPO G50
+Auxiliary spring (half-leafs) rated at 500lb each RPO G60
+Superlift rear air shocks RPO G66

Optional Leaf Springs and optional rating:
Suspension, Rear Leaf rated at 1250lb each RPO G70
+HD Leaf spring upgrade to 2000lb each RPO G50 (requires G70)

Remember SPID desciptions are not a consistant, accurate description. They vary over the years and between plants. You need to look at the RPO codes, the vehicle base content and the content of the other options. As an example the SPID will not list F60 HD front coils even though they are standard with a BBC (RPO L47).

Here is a minimum spring chart clip found in both the service manual and the driver's handbook to help sort things (B.E. is base equipment/standard).

There are again a number of considerations on what equipment is stock for a given truck/configuration. In this case you have provided very little infomation about the truck in question or even its year. Pictures would help and a picture of the SPID would help a lot.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 07-04-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: fixed picture a little
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Chrome8

I hope I didn't come across as uninformed...I know quite a bit about these trucks but am no expert. That's why I have asked the questions I have. I buy late models for a living and work very fast when I buy cars. I'm used to making a decision on the spot so I was trying to slow down on this one and make an informed decision. I'm not really concerned about the heavy duty springs, more curious than anything, just wondering if there is supposed to be a helper leaf there? I don't have the build sheet and the seller doesn't either. I wish I could just pull it up on GM's website like I do with all the late models I look at@!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Chrome8; 07-04-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Nice,but too bad about the color change. A truck like that should remain true to it's original build.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
SS Tim

First off I applaud taking the time to get model specific facts before buying instead of after the fact. By then its too late to fix a bad deal.

Saw this truck was in another earlier thread, thought the pictures looked a lttle too familiar. From those pictures, postings and yours here I'd have to say the the truck looks pretty good and to be an original BBC SWB Fleetside. While the SPID looks original and the codes correct (as compared to examples both sides it from the same plant) the vehicle is as presented incorrect. While this can affect value on any truck it needs to be noted on a presumed original. The red and white of course are not the original colors but the truck was a 400 series deluxe two-tone with the white sides and roof. The red shade seems not to be a 72 Chevrolet truck color. Pictures can affect that and its your call. The glove box door is in this case body color and appears to be correct by VIN range but it should be noted that earlier Cheyenne Supers from St.Louis had black doors. The black interior is incorrect on two counts. First it conflicts with the SPID's Parchment callout and second the fact that Cheyenne Supers were not offered with a black cloth/vinyl interior. The rear bumper is an addition and the exhaust is, well, different. The tailgate trim is really hard to discern from the pictures. It looks to be missing the release handle chrome cover and more importantly appears to have the lower tailgate trim which is incorrect for a Cheyenne or Super with a tailgate band.
The later "rally" wheels are a common but incorrect addition too.

For the most part the truck restoration looks acceptable. There are things that make me question its maintance. While a carb adapter to fit the Holley is an understandable crutch, the ratchet strap holding the battery down is an accident waiting to happen. The same can be said for the rubber fuel line and the plastic filter depending on how you call it.

If you can live with the color change and an incorrect interior then buy it, but consider the true final value. The rust is of course a concern but I'd imagine you have looked at that closely. At this point I'd probably confirm the block stamped, engine suffix code is correct and that the build date preceeds or matches the build date on the blue door sticker. If the door sticker is missing then... well again its your call. Hope this helps in your decision.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
WIDESIDE72

So did you buy the truck or not???

IMO, it is an original BBC SWB truck that was repainted a different color and had a few things changed. Personally, I would install the correct Q jet and fuel line and get the correct battery hold down, and fix any other discrepancies as well
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote