The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
texas69truck

Running Original Suspension//Steering Linkage

The truck is a 53 3100, all original. I am replacing all zerks, bushings and pins in the suspension. All the steering components look to be in good condition and the wheels move fine when up in the air. Doing this build on a budget and want to re-use as much factory items as possible. At the same time I want to make sure I have a safe truck to run down the road. Would you guys recommend replacing all the tie rods ends? Never had to mess with king pins either, should I replace them as well? How hard of a job is that. Pic below for reference. This is the linkage on the outer side of the d/s frame rail off the steering box (no clue on the correct terminology)

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/tr...45480556372953
texas69truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Running Original Suspension//Steering Linkage

If they are loose replace them, if not keep them well lubed. These old trucks were easy to check out just grab the tire and pull vert and horz while a buddy looks/feels for play. Make sure the wheel bearings are adjusted right. Tie rod end play will show up in the steering, you should also check the drag link and steering box for play. Box can be adjusted, link has ends like a tie rod. When they are all in good shape very drivable, just rides and steers like a old truck! Make sure the brakes are in good shape too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
62lwbc10

I second everything Orrie says. I'm running all original suspension brakes etc in my 58 and I love the old truck feel. I've completely redone the brakes, including the e brake, these are important. Mines a daily driver, steers and stops great.
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
mr48chev

The tie rod ends are adjustable on that tie rod. You take the cotter key out and turn the end plug in until the slack is gone and then put a new cottter key in it. There are also kits available to rebuild those ends if they are worn too much.

You can get someone to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the drag link to see if there is slack in it's ends. Or you can move the wheel back and forth while you have it off the ground and watch for slack in the linkage too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
texas69truck

Thanks! I did the above tests and everything is nice and tight, will just make sure to keep them lubed. I am planning on replacing all of the braking system. I guess I will keep the king pins original as well since I do not see any reason to replace at this time.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

If ALL those parts are tight - no play at all? I doubt they're original parts, especially the kingpins. What do the rest of you guys think?

Did you lift the front end off the ground and try to move the wheel in and out from the top and bottom of the wheel? No play AT ALL?

Either its very low miles, had very very regular adjustment and lubrication, or parts have already been replaced through the decades. At least that's my suspicions. It's a SIXTY year old truck afterall.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
texas69truck

It is a 60 year old truck but it hasnt been driving in 40+ years. Last registration was 69. Leaf springs and several suspension components have stickers on them still. The truck is missing several nuts and bolts on the suspension, I suspect someone started going through everything and gave up....