The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
b a king

Replacing weld on door hinges

is there a thread on here on how to do that. my truck is a 2001 gmc s 15 and the hinges are wore beyond simple pin replacement. any help? ideas?
thanks for your time and help.
b a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: Replacing weld on door hinges

The last couple of hinges I bought had some instructions in them. Its not horribly difficult but it takes some preparation and skill to get everything lined up so that the door will line up correctly there isn't much if any adjustment. You basically drill the factory hinges out they're welded with 4 big spot welds on each side of each hinge. 4 on the door side and 4 on the pillar side per hinge. The door gets plates with threaded holes put through from the inside and the hinge half bolts on from the outside and the pillar gets 4 bolts with splines on them fed from inside the pillar via the kick panel or sometimes the door harness grommet hole and the hinge half bolts on with nuts included in the hinge kit. I have done several of them for a local auto parts place with s10 and Sonoma delivery trucks.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
b a king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtruckfanatic View Post
The last couple of hinges I bought had some instructions in them. Its not horribly difficult but it takes some preparation and skill to get everything lined up so that the door will line up correctly there isn't much if any adjustment. You basically drill the factory hinges out they're welded with 4 big spot welds on each side of each hinge. 4 on the door side and 4 on the pillar side per hinge. The door gets plates with threaded holes put through from the inside and the hinge half bolts on from the outside and the pillar gets 4 bolts with splines on them fed from inside the pillar via the kick panel or sometimes the door harness grommet hole and the hinge half bolts on with nuts included in the hinge kit. I have done several of them for a local auto parts place with s10 and Sonoma delivery trucks.
where did you get the replacement hinges? sounds like some thing I could do........ I think.
b a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

I buy mine at Napa. Most parts stores can get them now. I finally made a fixture to help me line them up. Its work for sure.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote