The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
davbowen

lca bushing torque

I've installed new lower control arm bushings and shafts on my 63 c10. I've got them on and doing the final torque to 100 ft/lbs but they are not bottomed out on the control arm. 2 a all the way down but 2 are maybe .06 from touching and are just over the torque spec. everything moves as it should and they are not bottomed on the shafts. is this acceptable? or should I reef them down? I don't want to chance stripping the new bushing out.
davbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: lca bushing torque

There is no torque specification...not in any motors or chiltons manual I've ever seen. I think folks get confused between these metal bushings and the rubber ones.

I run the steel bushings in till they just bottom on the ear of the control arm/no gap and keeping the control arm shaft centered.

Yes, each time I went over the torques of 90 to 100 ft lbs some webduds quote...

It may be there is a minimum torque that indicates you have a good fit between the bushing and the ear and the bushing ain't gonna back out but there is nothing to torque the bushing down too that won't bend inward and eventually bind the entire shaft.

Center the shaft, bottom the bushings lip against the control arm ear and go get it aligned is I think the common advice ye'll get here from folks that have rebuilt their suspensions.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
dougf

I was in the same boat when I did mine, I snugged mine down and went back and forth in my mind about the torque specs and how far I should tighten them, I decided to back them off just enough so I could move them manually with a very tight grip. Dunno...
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
davbowen

ok I re-read my manual and it says to bottom on control arm and torque to 140-160 ft/lbs. did that and it's all good now....
davbowen is offline   Reply With Quote