The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
familyfast64

Post sticky piston

Hey guys, going back to the basics. I was driving my truck yesterday and it was extremely windy but I noticed she was pulling right hard. I pulled over and everything looked ok. I yanked on what I could and there was no obvious observations. So, I continued to the gas station where I checked my wheel then rotor again and noticed it was hot. Hotter then the other for sure.

So, at that point I knew it was brake related. I pulled the caliper off soon as I got home and cleaned and greased the sliding pins and sleeves, all the square cut rubber there(for the pins ) looked fine. The pins were a lil dirty but after sanding and cleaning there is really no putting or grooves to speak of. I have super thick pads, 1.25 rotors that look new. Dirty but really nice surface. Has stainless steel brake lines everywhere and the lines that flex are metal braid type. They all look good. After reassembling ( never did pull the piston cause I kept the lines attached) I took her for a ride and the same thing happened soon as I hit the brakes the first time.

Today, I pulled the caliper completely and tried the compressed air trick to get the piston out and that didn't work..... Now what? It moved back for me yesterday pretty easy, well like normal with a c clamp and old pads. I tried hook the line back up to see if I could pump the brakes to get it started coming out and it didn't move. The opening for the line is off center so I can't hammer the piston out. There just old gm single piston calipers I think cause they have matching numbers and then follow with gm. I tried looking the part number up on Google but nothing came up. That was to get a rebuild kit. Can anyone give me some ideas? If I can't get her fixed I'll buy new but I would like to fix em. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
familyfast64

Re: sticky piston

Oh and I have sprayed a bunch of the new WD into the bore hoping that will help but nothing yet. I really didn't want to scrape the dust cover of cause it looks alright and I planned on reusing it until I could purchase the kits to rebuild em. Ugghh. It's just crazy cause they have always worked good and just all of a sudden it did this. The truck only has 8xxx miles on her since she was brought back to life(not a super nice frame off build or nothing but it didn't have power brakes to start with sooo. And it got it's first 4xxx miles over the years, so I guessed it might just be a lil rusted up inside from sitting.