The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
ACK

Plastic and Aluminum Radiator

I received my new radiator from Advance Auto today (part# 433284) and it wasn't the 3-row copper one they describe, it's 2-row aluminum with plastic tanks top and bottom. Part # on the box is correct, so either the wrong one was packed or they need to update their description.

I'm pissed about this, but before I shoot off an email to Advance, I want to know if anyone has any info on plastic/aluminum radiators. Did they send me an inferior product or something that would perform equally, if not better, to what I was expecting. It has a lifetime warranty, but that doesn't matter if I need to replace it every 5 years. Does any one have real world experience they can share?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
tincan1966

Re: Plastic and Aluminum Radiator

Millions of cars are on the road everyday with plastic/aluminum radiators, so apparently they are ok.
Some of the purists, here, will differ in opinion, but reality is they work just fine.

iI you're going for more originality, then I'd return it and get a copper/brass one.
Especially if you made your purchase off of their information that stated it was a copper/brass.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

That part number is for a a vista pro Copper Brass and a Murray plastic /aluminum, Advance doesn't say what its made of.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
That part number is for a a vista pro Copper Brass and a Murray plastic /aluminum, Advance doesn't say what its made of.
Thanks for the clarification. Advance's Customer Q&A for the part says it's copper brass with metal tanks. Do you have an opinion about the Murray?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Murray is a very large maker of cooling products. i think you'll be ok with it as long as you don't freeze it or blow a head gasket. Blown head gaskets will separate the tanks from the core if the pressure builds to high. I had that happen on a ford ranger
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Snydcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
I received my new radiator from Advance Auto today (part# 433284) and it wasn't the 3-row copper one they describe, it's 2-row aluminum with plastic tanks top and bottom. Part # on the box is correct, so either the wrong one was packed or they need to update their description.

I'm pissed about this, but before I shoot off an email to Advance, I want to know if anyone has any info on plastic/aluminum radiators. Did they send me an inferior product or something that would perform equally, if not better, to what I was expecting. It has a lifetime warranty, but that doesn't matter if I need to replace it every 5 years. Does any one have real world experience they can share?
I just got and installed that radiator... Part No. 433284...and it should be all metal and 3 row radiator.
Snydcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yep, Advance, 3 tube #433284. It now specifies two....Tuffone and Ready rad. Specs no longer specify it as brass/copper, fact there is no description of the metal at all!

Mine was a ready rad, all brass 3 tube. So were several other folks who bought em after seeing the installs.

Consider stopping by the store and have em swap it.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Yep, Advance, 3 tube #433284. It now specifies two....Tuffone and Ready rad. Specs no longer specify it as brass/copper, fact there is no description of the metal at all!

Mine was a ready rad, all brass 3 tube. So were several other folks who bought em after seeing the installs.

Consider stopping by the store and have em swap it.
I stopped by and they're ordering a replacement. The 10 or so Advance stores in the area don't have the part so they're ordering it from the warehouse ... however ... the store can't tell the warehouse which version to send, so it's a crap shoot. All said, after doing some research I've decided against a plastic radiator and will spend a little more if I have to for an all metal one.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
ACK

My store pulled through and got in an all metal radiator. I'm thinking of keeping the separate trans cooler instead of hooking into the one built into the new radiator. I don't see a down side to doing this and it will make the install quicker. If there's any reason I should reconsider this, I'm all ears.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

The job of the trans cooler is to maintain the oil temperature at a constant 160 or 180, whichever thermostat ya select. You can add one out front but oil might get too cool in winter and sometimes there is a reduction of air flow when ya stack em infront of the radiator. If its a stockish driveline and ya ain't drag racein or towin house trailers up mountains the stock set up is probably fine. But ya never know if its better or worse without a temp gauge anyway and that adds cost and complexity to the job too. I'd say its a toss up, either way should be fine and yer right, if its already plumbed for a separate cooler, its prolly faster/easier. Ye'll still may have to notch the DS lower rad mount to clear the trans cooler fitting since the original v8 rads often did not have an installed trans cooler.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote