The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
zzChevy
BANNED

Divorced choke

Could anyone please provide me with a picture of a divorced choke setup? Preferably with a Rochester 4 barrel. Thanks

Last edited by zzChevy; 12-26-2003 at 08:57 PM.
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

welcome to the board from NJ i thought ya only were choked when ya was married tho??? sorry i dont have help for ya with your question

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
zzChevy
BANNED

Thanks Rusty. Just glad to see that someone’s giving me attention . From my understanding it is considered a divorced choke. A Rod should connect to the spring/coil from the intake to the carb. With mine, even with it not connected, the choke will eventually open up all the way to 90 degrees . The downside is, it takes like 30 tries (exaggeration) to get it going in the morning. Even after the fast idle was engaged for 2-3 minutes. If I put it in gear, it dies automatically. After investigating this, I saw that the choke springs to 90 degrees once its put in gear regardless of engine temp. If I close the p-butterflies choke plate, it will hold idle in gear. Once it is warmed up, idle is 950-1000 and in gear it is 650-750. Oh, if you were to watch carefully, the p-butterflies choke plate move back and forth causing idle fluctuations. Thanks

Last edited by zzChevy; 12-26-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
zzChevy
BANNED

Like this
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
Frank-id

Chokes

For a choke to work properly, all the parts gotta be connected. With no connection between your carb and the bimetal spring in the manifold, the choke blade may go any place at any time. Your fuel milage must be terrible. The spring in the manifold may be adjusted, carefully. To adjust the spring, the engine must be cold.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
zzChevy
BANNED

Thanks for that reply. On adjusting the spring. How exactly? I do not see a screw or anything that would make me think I could do this. Could you provide a little more in sight on this. Thank
Old 12-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
Frank-id

Choke adjustment

All linkage must be connected. Choke spring adjustments are made by first determining what needs to be done, as is choke blade too tight or too loose. The easiest adjustment is to bend link between spring and carb. If more change is required, the center of the spring can be turned to change blade tension. Some spring center shafts have a slot for spring to fit into and allow for spring ten sion to be adjusted. After adjustment is made the spring and bracket must be removed from engine to the work bench to "stake" the center shaft to prevent shaft from turning. To determine the amount of change required is to remove linkage at spring. Do not remove linkage from carb. While holding linkage near spring move linkage to note required change to allow choke blade to close carb air opening. I allow about 1/8 inch opening at choke blade and carb airhorn. Choke linkage tension is quite variable because of temps, the colder the tighter. After adjustments are made to linkage, with engine still off, open throttle linkage on driver's side. Open throttle, then release and observe the high idle cam on side of carb. There is a screw to adjust engine speeds while engine is first started, and progressively while warming. In addition to checking choke progress while cold, a check of engine RPM, after reaching 180 degrees F is good. Cold idle speed is usually about 1100 RPM, while running in gear and warmed RPM is 650-700. This applies to an Auto trans truck. Stick shift idle is also 600RPM but not in gear....hahahhahha
Old 12-26-2003, 11:57 PM   #8
zzChevy
BANNED

Thanks Frank.