The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
audaciousduo

72 Jimmy Fuel Tank Question

So,

I'm up to my eye balls in a 72 Jimmy build and after much head scratching and many years of building off road trucks I've elected to go with a TBI kit for the new crate motor. I love carburetors when I'm building muscle cars but hate them off road. I live right in the Rocky mountains and most places I take my fly rod are remote and require some steep inclines and declines. I'm sure there are other opinions but I've owned many a 4x4 and never had any luck with carburetors and steep inclines.

Now for the question regarding the gas tank. The system I've chosen is a closed system which requires a return line. That line would preferably feed into the bottom of the tank so as not to create a whole lot of bubbles. There are three lines going into my tank, one being the draw line with the fuel gauge and the other two on the top on opposing sides to do with the charcoal filter evap system. Does either of these lines have enough of a nipple on inside the tank it to clamp a length of fuel line to it for a return line? Or has anyone figured out another way to set up a fuel return line?

Thanks in advance

audaciousduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: 72 Jimmy Fuel Tank Question

First off, welcome to the boards

Second off, i am using a in tank fuel pump from a 2002 camero (f body) in our factory tank

Check them out on racetronics site

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
jaros44sr

Forgot to mention...ive seen some of these fuel pumps hooked up to be returnless

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Haggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post

Second off, i am using a in tank fuel pump from a 2002 camero (f body) in our factory tank

Did you adapt the Camaro pump to your existing fuel sender, or did you do anything to add a sump or complete fuel module?

I'm researching this issue as well. I have a replacement Poly tank in my 71 Jimmy, and am starting in on swapping in an LS2/700R4/NP208. I'm trying to find a clean solution for the fuel tank. This truck will drive on the sand dunes, so fuel slosh @ big angles is a real possibility. The typical off the shelf solutions like the Aeromotive Stealth or Tanks Inc are designed for a max depth of about 11", which the tank is between 12-13" deep. The tanks inc setup could be modified easily enough..
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
audaciousduo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not that knowledgeable about fuel injection and went the easiest, more expensive route and bought a complete kit from affordable fuel injection http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...ystem-5-9.html as I didn't want to mix and match. This kit comes with the whole works and hopefully will save me some time which seems to be my scarcest commodity. There are fuel line return kits http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...43759/10002/-1 but I can't find one that fits the odd size 1 3/8 inside diameter blazer filler tube. I'm considering scrapping the whole charcoal evap system but am concerned if I use one of those grommets as a return the fuel will be dropping from the top of the tank causing bubbles? Guys (my self before kids and dogs) who build drag racing cars will put foam in the bottom of the tank to prevent sloshing, foaming and fuel starvation. I may be just over thinking it as I have a tendency, bordering on disorder for overkill. After all, there is no kill like overkill.
audaciousduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
yoncey

SUBSCRIBED....Nice find on the EFI kit, I am interested to see your final result and what exactly you did!
I also am thinking about scraping that pesty lines for the evap system.....do not see the benefit in still having them?
yoncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Did you adapt the Camaro pump to your existing fuel sender, or did you do anything to add a sump or complete fuel module?

I'm researching this issue as well. I have a replacement Poly tank in my 71 Jimmy, and am starting in on swapping in an LS2/700R4/NP208. I'm trying to find a clean solution for the fuel tank. This truck will drive on the sand dunes, so fuel slosh @ big angles is a real possibility. The typical off the shelf solutions like the Aeromotive Stealth or Tanks Inc are designed for a max depth of about 11", which the tank is between 12-13" deep. The tanks inc setup could be modified easily enough..
Not sure about poly tank, mines steel, and used oem location and unit. 90 ohms, as compred to the 2002 f body, not sure, it was in the basket style fuel pump unit. Our tanks are 13 1/2 at the deepest spot, so you can go s-10, or modify the camero unit to fit.....
Hope this makes sense, as i am now confused, and i wrote it

Quote:
Originally Posted by audaciousduo View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not that knowledgeable about fuel injection and went the easiest, more expensive route and bought a complete kit from affordable fuel injection http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...ystem-5-9.html as I didn't want to mix and match. This kit comes with the whole works and hopefully will save me some time which seems to be my scarcest commodity. There are fuel line return kits http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...43759/10002/-1 but I can't find one that fits the odd size 1 3/8 inside diameter blazer filler tube. I'm considering scrapping the whole charcoal evap system but am concerned if I use one of those grommets as a return the fuel will be dropping from the top of the tank causing bubbles? Guys (my self before kids and dogs) who build drag racing cars will put foam in the bottom of the tank to prevent sloshing, foaming and fuel starvation. I may be just over thinking it as I have a tendency, bordering on disorder for overkill. After all, there is no kill like overkill.
I didnt use the filler neck as a return, mine is in the fuel pump

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim