The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
aotte1

Re: 84 c10 stepside

Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your primer problems, know bad material that reacts with your paint is a real . Had it before and no fun.

Just going out to lunch at Wendy's now and followed a 72' stepper done up rear nice in an orange red with blacked out "Chevrolet " on the tail gate. Nice slot wheels, I want my truck back from body shop!
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your primer problems, know bad material that reacts with your paint is a real . Had it before and no fun.

Just going out to lunch at Wendy's now and followed a 72' stepper done up rear nice in an orange red with blacked out "Chevrolet " on the tail gate. Nice slot wheels, I want my truck back from body shop!
Hey Les, what sux is it scrapes off some parts easy like it didnt adhere right to the bare metal in other areas it is hard to grind off. gotta take them back down and get some epoxy primer on them first ive come to the conclusion everything you want the paint to stay on needs epoxy primer first that stuff doesnt come off. if not your gonna have issues.especially on the bed strips cant have the paint coming off every time you slide something in the bed theres a guy with an early stepside that screws by here now and then. sounds mean. gives me motivation to do more sanding to get this thing done.masking off the cab today getting closer,
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
jpnh

i always liked the year grill with the paintable parts in the center decided to spray them to match also.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
jpnh

busted ass and masked/sanded everything with 320 grit not a good day for paint, rainy now they changed the forcast to reflect the same. need some clear/warmer days to pull this off. ill refine my sanding and blow everything out/clean till then.at this stage they dont recommend you clean with any solvents like prepsol and the like. i use glass cleaner/microfiber cloth works good/evaporates,drys pretty quickly.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
rip2174

Looking good
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip2174 View Post
Looking good
thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
jpnh

finally some good weather still not perfect but im running out of time.had to spray the cab and the tailpan to make sure i have enough material to finish.gotta make sure color gets on everything running out of catalyst should have enough to finish the bed/strips takes a full mix 7 on the xtra large mixing cups i got to get around the whole cab and the tailpan too.gonna take some color sanding with 600 grit and re-clearing(flow coats)with this color.gonna need more clear i think. dont have to re-clear everything but some pieces need it for sure. i hate scuffing it up again/remasking everything but its a must to get it to the next level.gonna get color/clear on the bed tomorrow.then color sand monday.gotta keep motivated.
Attached Images