The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #26
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Just on Friday i was helping my friend with his '71 Mustang.
This spring we put a new 351W in the car, along with all new accessories and a new tranny was also put in. The car sat for awhile (rustbucket with bad brakes) and wasn't ran. We went to drive it from the shop to his house. It had been sitting outside all winter.
It started up with a fresh battery and a few sprays of ehter. Last time we had started it, alot of steam had started coming out of the breather and seeping out along the edges of the valve covers. The only thing we could think of was that it may have gotten a little water in the oil since it had been sitting outside for so long.

Well, about 3 miles into the journey home, i was following him, and noitced black smoke coming out the exhaust. He pulled over, and steam was coming out from under the hood. The car would barley crank over.

We pulled it home, and checked the water. It was bone dry....when water was poured in, it could clearly be seen and heard coming out the back of the block and going on the ground

Turned out the car was filled with water this summer, not antifreeze, and it froze in the freezing weather and pushed out a freeze plug. The temp guage wasn't reading hot becuase there was no water for it to get a reading from, just steam!

Luckily the motor is fine.....just needs a freeze plug

Please.....don't put just H20 in your engine
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #27
86SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn Man
Hee's one that I've read on here, and a kid at the shop just did this morning.
Installed a new carb, (76 f-250 (or would it be F-200?) 4X4 inline 6 with a 4 speed) looked for the fuel line port, but couldn't find it. There was a 3/8 fitting from the top of the carb aimed downward... hell, lets plug it in here and see what it does.
Oops..that was the bowl vent.
I laughed my @ss off on that one, the only reason i found it so funny was he spent 10 min looking for the threaded hole, but it was right in front of him the whole time.
Would you believe it tried to start?
Now thats what I call float bowl flooding.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #28
86SILVERADO

Lucas,

I had my 86 shipped up from Arizona in January. The very first thing I did after it rolled off the trailer was open up the radiator. LOL There was green in there but I drained it and re filled it and ran it immediately. I wasn't going to take any chances.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #29
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Good move. I have frozen 6 engines to date. (2 of them in Tx!) So far I have been lucky that non of them cracked the block, or even popped out a freeze plug.
I doubt any of them froze solid. Just slushey enough to keep the water pump from moving and cold enough to freeze the stiff in the rad.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote