The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Best code reader/scanner for the $$

Posted this in the 88-98 section, but didn't get many responses, so I wanted to repost here. If this is a no-no, tell me so and I'll... well, I guess I'll do nothing since you can't delete posts. But I'll feel bad.

On my drive in to work this morning, my Service Engine Soon light came on. Since I plan on keeping my Tahoe for awhile, I'm planning to dig into it myself. I'm not really a stranger to a wrench, but I've never really done anything too extensive on OBDII vehicles.

I'm assuming I'll need a OBDII code reader/scanner to diagnose. I have a couple questions:
What's a suggestion on a good but reasonably priced code reader/scanner? I have no Matco/Snap-On trucks circling my office park, so I'd rather keep the list narrowed down to something easy to get my hands on
What resources do you guys use to decipher and troubleshoot codes I should be reading from the above scanner?

Thanks in advance for the help
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
tinydb84

Re: Best code reader/scanner for the $$

Your local auto parts stores will typically do it for free. Harbor Freight sells them for $50. I got the same one off Ebay from China for $10 delivered. Works just fine and I have used it for many years.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
midniteblues

I have a basic actron unit it reads 90% of the codes on obdII then i use a chiltons manual too help understand the codes or sometimes i goggle them.

I got it at the local auto parts store back when they were kinda still new so i PAYED for it.
but for the most part it stays in my glovebox till i need it.

they are getting cheap nowadays.

mine dont read abs codes can you guess what light is on in my dash
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Daddy'O

I'm pleased with the Equus 3100 Innova I got from wally world several years ago.

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

For a "modern" vehicle, the Harbor Freight code scanners do pretty much everything you would need...which 95% of the time is just to read and clear codes, or possibly check readiness monitors. At ~$20, I've used mine over a hundred times, not many tools have that kinda value.

Aside from that, you can consider an "on-board" solution. One isthe code-scanner interface for the phone App. I can't remember the name (it comes up over in the ls section), but it uses a little adapter that plugs into the OBD port and reads and monitors codes on the smart phone. It has a few more advances gauge/features as well.
Another would be a ScangaugeII or Interceptor, which are digital gauge displays that plug into the obdII port. They can read and scan every normal code, and even a for more specialty codes, as well as being a functioning gauge display for 4 gauges at once. Killer value at like $150

Up from there, you have the more expensive scanners all the way up to the "dealer" units like the TechII. The biggest difference in those units and the cheap units is; the ability to read (lookup) and clear BCM and TCM codes, as well as airbag/SRS resets. They are great functions, but not ones you need often, and not something you need on the lower-tech obdII cars. Hard to justify the $1500+ unless you do it for a living.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Thanks for the help, fellas.
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
JohnKimble

Check out the UltraGauge. It's an OBDII scanner, but will also display live gauges (average mpg, distance until empty, voltage, etc). I have one in my Land Rover and it's great...plus it's only about $70. It will also read trouble codes, pending codes, as well as clear them.

Definitely check them out.
JohnKimble is offline   Reply With Quote