The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Old Crow

'54 bed cross bars

So, we're assembling the bed for fitting before the painting goes any further. I've come up with a question about the 2nd from the front bed crossmember.
The front(1st)and back(3rd)crossmembers both have bed to frame mount bolts that go through them in addition to the bolts that secure the bed strips.
The 2nd crossmember seems to go right behind the upper shock mounts on the frame, but doesn't seem to line up with any hole on the frame for a bed mount bolt. \
Is the second crossmember secured to the wood with the bolts for the strips only, or should there be a long one on the outside that goes through the frame?
The bolt kit I bought has 8 long carriage bolts and offset washers, and the board kit I bought was supposed to be drilled for all the bed mount bolts. Are the extra bolts I have just in the kit so they can use the same kit for a long bed, or am I missing something here?
FYI, when we got the truck the bed was not assembled and there were no strips, crossmembers, wood or bolts.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: '54 bed cross bars

Mar-k has free mounting information, this should help, if not look and see if there is another tech article on their page.

http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/PDF/Ins...nformation.pdf
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Old Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Mar-k has free mounting information, this should help, if not look and see if there is another tech article on their page.

http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/PDF/Ins...nformation.pdf
Burnt an hour looking through that site, the Old Car manual site and a couple of classic truck magazine sites.
I've got the factory service manual as well as the factory assembly book. Not one of these resources addresses the assembly of the bed.
Mar-k has diagrams of how the bed is bolted to the frame(just the assembly order of the bolts,, washers and pads), and a parts breakdown of the bed showing the aproximate location of the cross sills, but it's sort of a generic diagram only meant to aid in ordering parts.
After assembling the outer 4 boards and putting a couple of the bed strips down, it appears that the 2nd cross sill bolts to the rails and angle strips, but just floats on the frame right behind the upper shock mounts. I can see the wear area in the frame where the old sill sat, but there's no hole through the frame like there is in the other cross sill locations.
Of course, my wife's '54 Panel is no help as a reference in this area.

Ah, well, if it was easy, anyone could do it, and I'd be out of business.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
OrrieG

FWIW TF trucks have one floating cross sill too, held with the bed rail bolts but not attached to the frame. "here" in the picture is where the floater is. I added another at "missing" because that is were my old wood and bed strips were damaged. You can see it is shallower than the other two sills.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote