The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
4shongo

16" Electric fan next on the mod list---suggestions?

My clutch fan is going out, no problem on the road but at idle, the temp starts to creep up slowly. Been thinking of going with a single 16" fan. Maybe with an aluminum shroud. I can get a 3000 cfm fan off Ebay for $49.95 and a universal aluminum shroud for $64.95. Any thoughts? I have a 16" electric fan set up on my 69 Camaro (2 core aluminum rad) and no problems but I have a 4 core on my Suburban (it is only 2 years old) so I was hoping to hear from guys that have actually tried this set up with a 4 core rad. Thanks guys
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: 16" Electric fan next on the mod list---suggestions?

I ran a 16" e fan on a '68 elCamino that had a 4 row radiator in it with a 327 engine.
Had no issues, and actually really liked having it in there.
Wiring is the one thing you want to pay attention to on these, since you want it to come on and off when needed.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
4shongo

Thanks for the reply. Not alot of info on the net about a single fan in 4 core radiators, mainly 2 fan set ups. I think I am going to give it a try.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
magicoolbus

Plenty of single fan write ups. Do a search for Taurus fan, Lincoln Mark VIII. Hands down the best out there. Here's a few links to get you started.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII
Look up board member dwcsr. Hollisterroad is his gig.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
4shongo

Thanks, I guess I was asking more about a standard 16" electric fan but I have been reading alot about these Taurus fans too. I may look into that now and give the local junk yard a call. Thanks for the links.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Be aware that Mark VIII fans are NOT dual speed-the RF24 T-Bird fans circa 1990-95 ARE 2-speed and they look identical to a Mark VIII. The difference is on OEM fans the Mark VIII has a white connector plug and the T-Bird is black. Both measure 22x19x5.75 inches and depth can be trimmed down to 5.25" though isn't needed on most trucks. I also like to use the Crown Vic 2-speed fans of the same era. All three are incredibly stout fans!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
4shongo

I purchased a 16" 3000cfm (supposedly) fan off Ebay and even bought a nice aluminum shroud. Hopefully going to install them this weekend if the rain ever stops. I'll update ya'll if everything went well!! Can't wait to get rid of the "fan blade of death" on the front of the motor and this should really clean up that area!! I might even gain a couple of HPs and MPGs....that would be a bonus!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I know made you've already made your decision but nothing looks as good or fits as nice as a MarkVIII or Tbird fan and-those fans are a truly killer setup! If that 16" fan proves to be inadequate, I'd suggest looking into one. When it comes to cooling performance, its better to scale back on an overkill fan than deal with a weak fan always working hard 100% of the time to keep a motor cool. About 8 years ago I was an early proponent of the Mark VIII OEM motorcraft fan installs and I bought about 45 fans over a two year period new for installs/custom builds in my shop back whenbuou could still but NEW OEM ones for about $130 each.

Absolutely the best fan I've ever used!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Also, Motorcraft offers a massive dual 14" fan setup which is rated at a total of 6000 CFM! Size is 34" width by 18" height and 6" depth. Its nearly perfect for a stock/aftermarket BB/diesel 4-core radiator. I have two on hand and might just upgrade my K10 with a larger radiator so I can try one. Needless to say, this fan setup stock uses a 60A relay so I'm not sure what if any "controller" can handle it but I am sure my harness will. If I go this route, I'll start a thread on its install.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
4shongo

Well I finished the install on Saturday. I let it sit and idle for around 20 minutes (around 95 degrees on Saturday here) and never got above 195 with the A/C on. Brand new controller from Auto Zone was bad, so I had to take it back out (of course after I had everything zip tied and wire loomed looking nice!) and go get another one so that slowed me down a bit. Overall I really like the look of the nice aluminum shroud and chrome 16" fan. Really cleaned up the front of the motor and now no worries of cutting my fingers off with the old set-up. I will post pics tomorrow, I didn't even think about taking any!