The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #2426
STPrider

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
It's coming along I guess I tell you what, it's definitely not going to be perfect, I just don't have the patience or the ability to make it perfect. I'm realizing I made a huge mistake 5 years ago when I tore the truck down to the frame and attempted to do a ground up. I should have just left it alone and rocked the rust and patina and later on had a professional redo the body. I give big time credit to the guys that do this for a living.

Thanks
I have a feeling you might change your tune when you get over this obstacle. Nothing quite like doing it yourself. Keep up the great work man, I admire the dedication and perseverance you've shown in getting this truck perfectly the way you want it. I know you won't stop until you've done exactly that.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #2427
Rochlow

Keep up the good work, Keith!! A friend has a saying.."eating an elephant, one bite at a time". Basically what your doing.

I use to work in my grandfather's collision business when I was younger. I use to HATE sanding and blocking in any form. When I started working the body on my truck, I remember how much I hated it.

With that said, I envy your patience in this process, cause I didn't have it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2428
olrosa

Looks like your doing a great job so far! Just keep rolling. Nice stuff takes time
olrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #2429
Xeen

Keith you got this man.
You have worked your butt off to get to this point, don't stop short now.
The only body work that has to be even close to perfect is the body panels, the rest you can blow off, think of it this way you don't want to put a nice paint job over bad body work because you will be disappointed every time you look at it if you do.
You are in control of your own mind, just tell the part of your brain that is doubting to be quiet and turn on some good music and just go after it.
There are all kinds of video tutorials on body work on youtube that you can use to teach yourself technique, You can do it!

Last edited by Xeen; 08-24-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #2430
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPrider View Post
I have a feeling you might change your tune when you get over this obstacle. Nothing quite like doing it yourself. Keep up the great work man, I admire the dedication and perseverance you've shown in getting this truck perfectly the way you want it. I know you won't stop until you've done exactly that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
Keep up the good work, Keith!! A friend has a saying.."eating an elephant, one bite at a time". Basically what your doing.

I use to work in my grandfather's collision business when I was younger. I use to HATE sanding and blocking in any form. When I started working the body on my truck, I remember how much I hated it.

With that said, I envy your patience in this process, cause I didn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrosa View Post
Looks like your doing a great job so far! Just keep rolling. Nice stuff takes time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Keith you got this man.
The only body work that has to be even close to perfect is the body panels, the rest you can blow off, think of it this way you don't want to put a nice paint job over bad body work because you will be disappointed every time you look at it if you do.
You are in control of your own mind, just tell the part of your brain that is doubting to be quiet and turn on some good music and just go after it.
There are all kinds of video tutorials on body work on youtube that you can use to teach yourself technique, You can do it!
Thanks for the push guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I'm going to keep going on this bodywork and try to get it the best I can. I'm definitely not giving up on it but I'm realizing over the past couple of months that I really don't want shiney paint anymore. I keep looking at N2Billet's old truck Hazel and even his current truck Tiffany, I would much rather have either of those then my truck with perfect shiney paint. And I'm not saying I can come close to duplicating either truck, they are both amazing and Keith is a master at these trucks. I'm just saying I would rather have that look to my truck. I don't have the patina left on my truck since replacing all the rusty panels but I'm thinking a satin paint is in order.

So that's where I'm at now. I know myself, and if I make it too nice I will never drive it, it will sit in the garage and collect dust. Believe me, been there done that and don't want to do it again. I want something that is bad ass but is also a driver that I'm not worried to take to the gym or get caught in the rain. This is not me giving up, it's just me realizing what I want. I'm also on a time schedule, this truck needs to be on the road by next spring, there are some circumstances that I have previously talked about that demand this to happen. I'm going to keep working on the body panels because I still want them as straight as possible, I certainly don't won't wavy panels no matter what paint is on it. I have the rest of my life to repaint it if one day I want perfect shiney paint.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #2431
Xeen

There is nothing wrong with satin paint in fact I think it looks bad ass, go for it!
I have heard there is satin farm implement paint that is inexpensive and looks nice, maybe john deere?

Last edited by Xeen; 08-24-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #2432
jeh

I've been with you all along with the satin paint, Keith, any way you look at it you're the one that has to be happy in the end!!!!
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #2433
Xeen

Oh hey now that I think about it you could go with single stage acrylic urethane paint and it will cost half as much as a base coat clear coat paint job and will look just as nice once it's cut and polished.
That's what I'm doing on mine and for the same exact reasons you stated.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-24-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #2434
sduckworth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Keith you got this man.
Lol, I can relate with this statement, but I do feel your pain Keith. Just take a break from the bodywork and reevaluate it when your not frustrated with the current results. You'll get it better next time around.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #2435
Rochlow

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Custom-Paint/Hot-Rod-Flatz/

I was going to do satin on my truck also. I thought about using the firemist maroon. $300 for 2 gallons as opposed to the $2000 I spent on RM products.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #2436
mx289

Quote:
You should know by now Tom especially after reading through this thread, it's never to late to change anything
Very true.

And i understand how you feel on the bodywork.I get burnt out sometimes and i just step away for a day or two.Works most times.

Just gotta keep at it and you WILL be done by your deadline.

71 K2500
71 K5 Jimmy
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #2437
jeh

Either "red" or "satin" it will look awesome Keith. Keep after it we need updates....
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #2438
Bennett68C10

I'm going to go with the SPI Matte Black that I used on the core support and radiator cover on the whole truck. I really love the way it looks, has just the right sheen to it and is silky smooth. Plus I'm comfortable spraying it so it should come out looking pretty good. I keep looking at some earlier pictures from this year and I really love this pic below. I just think the truck looks sinister. And my billets, trim and chrome acc should really pop with the satin.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #2439
garykirby25

Looks mean!!!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #2440
Bennett68C10

Some pics from this weekend, spent yesterday sanding filler on the doors again. Today I got them in the tent and sprayed another couple coats of epoxy on. They are ready for some slick sand now, they have some minor waves especially in the bottoms of the doors but hopefully the slick sand takes care of that.

66 Suburban

Old 08-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #2441
slowcpe

Looking good. Here's a few of my thoughts:

I can only imagine how much the bodywork sucks. You will see me complain in my build thread when the time comes. Good thing is spring is like 7 months away. You got this.

I'm pretty sure a satin red will be the color of my truck. We went to a large street rod show this weekend and came across a beautiful shiny red truck. Jen asked if my truck would be this shiny. I said more than likely no as I'd then be afraid to drive it. She agreed and said if your going to build it, might as well drive and enjoy it.

As much as I like red on these trucks, it's awfully hard to beat satin black with billet and/or chrome. There were a couple of trucks at the show like that and Jen actually pointed out she liked that. She doesn't do that often.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #2442
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykirby25 View Post
Looks mean!!!!!
Thanks, yours is looking pretty awesome too

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Looking good. Here's a few of my thoughts:

I can only imagine how much the bodywork sucks. You will see me complain in my build thread when the time comes. Good thing is spring is like 7 months away. You got this.

I'm pretty sure a satin red will be the color of my truck. We went to a large street rod show this weekend and came across a beautiful shiny red truck. Jen asked if my truck would be this shiny. I said more than likely no as I'd then be afraid to drive it. She agreed and said if your going to build it, might as well drive and enjoy it.

As much as I like red on these trucks, it's awfully hard to beat satin black with billet and/or chrome. There were a couple of trucks at the show like that and Jen actually pointed out she liked that. She doesn't do that often.
My wife has been pushing me to spray the truck Satin Black for the past year or so, ever since I bolted the body together. She thinks the Satin Black looks more bad a** then any other color. She also wants me to stop messing around with it and just put it together and drive it Satin Red looks really nice too and will look awesome on your truck.

66 Suburban

Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #2443
jeh

Quote:
I'm going to go with the SPI Matte Black that I used on the core support and radiator cover on the whole truck. I really love the way it looks, has just the right sheen to it and is silky smooth. Plus I'm comfortable spraying it so it should come out looking pretty good. I keep looking at some earlier pictures from this year and I really love this pic below. I just think the truck looks sinister. And my billets, trim and chrome acc should really pop with the satin.
You've got my vote.... I agree with your wife, it will look Bad@$$
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #2444
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
You've got my vote.... I agree with your wife, it will look Bad@$$
Thanks Jason, hopefully it gets a good response from everybody when it's done.

66 Suburban

Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #2445
Bennett68C10

Work on the cab has started. Yesterday I got the stud welder out and used it to pull the metal out under the rear window. It sunk in a bit in a few spots when we welded the new metal in for the window channel. Tonight I sanded all the problem areas down with the DA sander and spread some filler on. I have a lot of sanding ahead of me
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #2446
mikeleeshields

Keith I'm with you on the satin black. I'm thinking about multiple colored. So many people told me it looked awesome the way it sits now. I just bolted some panels on to show it too. In the end do what you think you'll like.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #2447
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Keith I'm with you on the satin black. I'm thinking about multiple colored. So many people told me it looked awesome the way it sits now. I just bolted some panels on to show it too. In the end do what you think you'll like.
Yeah I got the same thing when I had the truck together in the spring to set the gaps and make sure everything fit right. I had people telling me they would drive it like that, screw paint I'm using the same Matte Black from SPI that I used on the core support and radiator cover. I love the way it looks so I'll be happy with it. One day when I get the bug for shiney Red paint, I'll have a professional shop do it for me so everything is perfect.

66 Suburban

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #2448
knomadd

Now THAT ^^^ Sounds like a plan!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #2449
jlsanborn

I'm right there with you on bodywork. Expensive, tedious and often times frustrating for us amateurs. Mine will be far from perfect too and I also wish sometimes that I hadn't taken it apart. Keep plugging away man. Whatever color / finish you use will look great on that bad ass truck!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #2450
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice progress on the cab Keith. I'm glad to see you tackling this project on your own. I know you can do it.

You may already be doing this, but if not, I'll tell you something I learned quickly on my first full panel skim coat (which was the roof of my cab). Don't put any more mud on than you are comfortable blocking out that day. Preferably while it's still "green". If that stuff is allowed time to cure, you will be fighting it, but if you block while it's fresh you can get it pretty flat and pretty fast.
Use clean sharp sandpaper too, it will save you some time. If working big panels I like to knock the high spots down with 36 grit, then switch to 80.
I learned the hard way on my roof....what a pain. After that deal. I never add more mud than I can cut in that session.
Keep up the good work.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote