The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #26
skid

I've got Hooker Supercomps on my small-block Vette that don't fit very well at all. They exit into the bottom of the firewall! I home built a 3" mandrel bent exhaust and still only had about 1/4" clearance from the fiberglass. Luckily I have contacts in the insulation field, and they supplied me with some high temp wrap. I would have returned them, but I welded O2 bungs and had them Jet coated as well as dynoed the engine before installing them on the car. I have AFR 210 heads on the car, but I'm sure the exhaust port is in the factory location.

I am using ported Corvette ram horns on my blazer along witha Brzyzinsky mandrel bent 2 into single exhaust system. Supposed to make up to 40 more horses than duals. They make them right up to 4 inches.

www.castheads.com

Last edited by skid; 01-16-2004 at 01:14 AM.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 AM   #27
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

Well, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but the Hooker Comps on the big block in my 4x4 truck clear fine. The closest any tube get to anything on mine is the bellhousing (it has about the same clearance that you showed trying to stick your pinky between the header tube and your oil pan). The oil pan and starter have plenty of clearance on mine and I'm no expert on Hooker, this is the first set I've owned. I always ran Hedman and Thorley in the past.

Good luck to ya Firefighter..........

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:57 AM   #28
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I am not a lover of headers on a street truck, so I run these manifolds on my BBs. The tubes are stainless, they seal exceptionally well and they out flow cast iron manifolds. Notice the mirror image design on both sides...no restriction on the LH side like the cast BB manifolds...and of course I sometimes have a pair all prepped for sale to my friends.
OK, I admit it...that is a "shameless plug"!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 03:05 AM   #29
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

Damn Frank, those are nice looking. I've never seen anything like those before. I personally like headers but just out of curiosity, how much do those babys sell for?

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:15 AM   #30
72gmcshorty

I've used the chevelle 3/4 shorty hedmen headers on my 454 2wd. I had to notch the frame about 3/4 -1" for clearance of one header tube (second tube from left). Other than that, lots of room and no problems with starter.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 04:01 AM   #31
skid

Pickmup, those look very cool! I like how they expand as the rearward ports are connected. What are the shiny things on the tops?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 AM   #32
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I hope I am not "high jacking" this thread. If so, just let me know and I will use PM or Email to answer.
I sell a set like this for $250: They are blasted, studs replaced, flanges checked & straightened, stainless plugs welded in the air pump holes and a coat of high temp paint (which is just a little better than a "stick in the eye"...not great, but OK. If you use straight end plug wires there is never a problem burning wires and the donut flange seals are '88 & newer GM which have a step so they never move around and leak like ours. Finally, I like to run copper header gaskets with locking bolts, although GM even has an improved stainless gasket ($$$).
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #33
jimfulco

I saw something like PICKMUP posted but on a small-block truck a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find the owner to find out about them. Hooker told a friend of mine with a '74 350 truck that they design their headers for a 12-3/4" flywheel, which is why his starter interfered with them. I never thought Chevy even used a 12-3/4" flywheel on a truck. Just in case the tax-man is super-kind this year, Sanderson makes a high-performance cast-iron manifold for BBC & SBC, but they ain't cheap. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/page...num/qp2100.htm
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #34
Dean

I'm not a big fan of headers on a street vehicle either.

I did have problems with a set of Hooker big block headers for a 59 Vette a few years ago. Hooker took them back and gave me my money back. They admitted that there was a problem with them and that they should never had been released. That was pretty good of them considering they had been on the stand for about 2 years.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #35
Primed67

Quote:
Originally posted by imdarren
Has anyone installed headers on a small block with the mini starter? Any clearance problems with the mini starter?

darren
I'm running Hedman headers with a CVR mini starter on a small block. I don't know of the part number on the headers but the starter is part #5323. I have never had a problem.
2014 1/2 ton Crew Cab Chevrolet 4x4
Primed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:53 AM   #36
dinnut

ttt for ya buddy! hope ya figure it out!