The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
LSXapache

'59 camaro clipped, ride improvement

So I've had my truck on the road for a little while now and I'm finding myself wanting to fix a couple ride issues I'm having. First is noticed on the interstate and bridges that dip at the start or end. When travelling at highway speed the truck will bottom out on the dips a lot of the time, on the interstate it will often get into a rhythm of floating up/down with the concrete sections. Since those issues seem like shock issues to me I'll state that I put cheapo oreilly's shocks on when I installed the clip. The next issue happens at any speed and from what I can tell only changes with road conditions. I get a side to side shimmy that shakes the entire truck but it is not felt through the steering wheel at all and steering isn't affected. It get annoying because it rattles the side windows(haven't gotten around to installing felts/seals yet) and doors(needs hinges and latches). The shimmy happens on roads that are relatively smooth(riding in different vehicles on same road I don't feel a thing) but I have noticed on very smooth well maintained roads it hardly ever does it. Also it seems to not handle potholes/bumps well I'd equate the harshness to the old CJs I've owned. Look forward to hearing yalls ideas and advice.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: '59 camaro clipped, ride improvement

I'd say in a quality set of gas shocks would be the first step.

I'm pondering the "side shimmy", but my take is that there are some worn parts in the front end and or steering. It could also be attributed to an excess in toe in or toe out where you are dragging a tire sideways over the rougher stretches causing the shake. You can tell that by sliding your hand over the tread and seeing if it has a feathered feel where your hand slides smoothly one way and catches on the raised tips of the feathering going the other way. You can tell a lot about the condition of the front suspension and alignment by reading the wear pattern on the tread of the tires.
Personally I'd be going through and checking every piece of the suspension and steering, every busing, ball joint, steering rod end and the other pieces of it to see If any had any wear or damage and needed to be replaced. Then I would have it aligned by someone who knew what he was doing and not just a computer screen reader with a wrench.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
LSXapache

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Then I would have it aligned by someone who knew what he was doing and not just a computer screen reader with a wrench.
Where does one find this mythical being? haha
The clip needs new bushings and rod ends but not b/c of wear just age. I checked for play in everything before I installed it also steering is tight and doesn't pull. Tires aren't drastically wearing funny but I will check for feathering. I've read that bilsteins are the way to go but I don't wanna drop $100ea and the truck have the same ride quality. The side to side shimmy is similar to the way a truck shakes on a washboard dirt road.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXapache View Post
Where does one find this mythical being? haha
The clip needs new bushings and rod ends but not b/c of wear just age. I checked for play in everything before I installed it also steering is tight and doesn't pull. Tires aren't drastically wearing funny but I will check for feathering. I've read that bilsteins are the way to go but I don't wanna drop $100ea and the truck have the same ride quality. The side to side shimmy is similar to the way a truck shakes on a washboard dirt road.

upper control arm bushings and ball joints. they are probably original and mere whispers of their former selves. does it shake its head like a st bernard when you apply the brakes?

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
LSXapache

braking does not affect it either way also let me reiterate that I am not referring to the steering wheel moving back and forth but the whole truck. Not say that's what yall thought, I just don't want there to be any confusion. Most people think steering wheel movement when someone says shimmy. Been searching the web and ran across people experiencing this condition with unibody cars that essentially has chassis flex and they said it is exaggerated by poor shocks, something to ponder.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Roadkill58

It could be tires. My 71 would shake all over at a certain speed.

I would have sworn that something was wrong with the suspension.

Drove through the desert at 45 mph till I found a service station.

One of the tires had a cord separation. They replaced both front tires and the problem was solved.

Lucky for me the tires were covered by manufactures warrantee.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58 View Post
It could be tires. My 71 would shake all over at a certain speed.

I would have sworn that something was wrong with the suspension.

Drove through the desert at 45 mph till I found a service station.

One of the tires had a cord separation. They replaced both front tires and the problem was solved.
I agree. Every time I've thought I had a suspension or alignment issue, it has ultimately been resolved by changing tires.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
LSXapache

I don't believe its a tire issue b/c it would be constant. I've had a cord separate before and form a knot on the tire and it was a constant vibration. I ordered a pair of Bilsteins that should be here today, I'll report back with a review after I install em.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Roadkill58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXapache View Post
I don't believe its a tire issue b/c it would be constant. I've had a cord separate before and form a knot on the tire and it was a constant vibration. I ordered a pair of Bilsteins that should be here today, I'll report back with a review after I install em.
The vibration didn't happen until 45mph.

Anything under that the truck was normal.

Borrow a set of wheels and see if that eliminates your problem.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
shrek55

Decent rough align specs---1/2 degree neg camber-- 2-3 degrees pos caster-- depending how much caster you can get-- and 1/8 total toe
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
michaelt55

did it improve after the new shocks?
michaelt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
LSXapache

The harshness of potholes was dramatically reduced, doesn't bottom out on dips at interstate speed anymore, and the rhythmic floating feeling of the interstate is gone. The feeling of every little bump in the road and the random shimmy is still there during every day driving on country roads. I attribute a lot of that feeling to worn out door hinges, latches, and rubber exaggerating the small road imperfections. Hopefully will address those issues over the winter.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
michaelt55

so the Bilsteins made that much difference, eh? Tells me not to skimp on my suspension if its going to be a daily driver.
michaelt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
62lwbc10

You would be surprised how much of an effect new door hinges and weatherstripping have on the overall driving experience, even keeping all other factors (suspension, steering, shocks, etc) constant. rattling windows and doors exacerbate the effect of every little bump. I have stock suspension and took care of these issues and it still rides like an old truck, but its very solid and doesnt make a sound when driving.
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
LSXapache

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62lwbc10 View Post
You would be surprised how much of an effect new door hinges and weatherstripping have on the overall driving experience, even keeping all other factors (suspension, steering, shocks, etc) constant. rattling windows and doors exacerbate the effect of every little bump. I have stock suspension and took care of these issues and it still rides like an old truck, but its very solid and doesnt make a sound when driving.
bolts

yeah not to mention those rolled down rattling windows tend to pinch the sweet meat on your arm!