The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #26
bs46488

Re: 1972 Longbox looking to become a shortbox

That's a bad a*% template. If you can make those out of wood, cutting the box sides should be no issue at all.

I'd consider myself advanced beginner and I was able to cut my bed sides down. My final cuts look better than the first. The more you measure and clean your edges after the cut, the better the fit.

Here is my box right after I sliced the back off:
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
dacavy

I thought about ordering the bed sides. Who should I order the bedsides through to get the best ones? Do they have the inner and outer sheet metal when you order the sides.
dacavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacavy View Post
I thought about ordering the bed sides. Who should I order the bedsides through to get the best ones? Do they have the inner and outer sheet metal when you order the sides.
Yeah they are complete.
As far as who to order them from it's not too complicated but it will take some phone calls to find out how much they weigh apiece. If they try to tell you that they don't have that information they are either being lazy or don't know that they can find out by how much they cost to ship.
Interesting story: I went to order some short fleet bed sides from classic industries and it turns out their 1967 bed sides weigh more by nearly 20 pounds per side than their 1968-72 bed sides so combined they are 40 pounds heavier which means they are most likely produced using OE gauge steel.
The point being that you want to find some 1968-72 short fleet bed sides that are OE gauge steel and you will have to call around to find them.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #29
Turbo1dr

For some reason I don't like putting bondo all over a vehicle. I'd rather just go in debt and buy a complete short bed box than to have to cut and weld one to shorten it. At least buying a new one, you will have a guaranteed straight body. After painting a cut-down bed, you might realize your bondo work may not be so great.

I'm pretty sure (when i get to my truck) I will shorten it.
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
dmack91

I guess I look at it this way. First, I am cheap and the truck will be a play truck, not a show truck. Body work is a challenge and I want to see how it will come out. If you don't like the results of cutting it down, buy the new SB panels and the only thing you are out is your time (mine time is free).

Either way, keep us posted.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote