The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Geddes71

Factory AC or aftermarket

Brand new member. I just bought a 71 chevy SWB with a factory AC cab and original BB402.

Here is my question. The cab is a factory AC can but the guy I bought it from did not reinstall any of the factory heat or AC. His plan was to install an aftermarket system. He even filled in the AC openings on the fire wall.

I feel like part of the value of having an AC cab is also having the original system in tact. He gave me a lot of the original AC parts and I'm considering just trying to have the original system re-installed.

Looking for opinions on this in regards to whether it impacts the value regarding original or aftermarket.

Haven't the slightest idea how much someone would charge to reinstall the factory system. Will I end up spending more to stick with original rather than just buying a $1300 aftermarket system?

Thanks
Attached Images

Geddes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Kennuck

Re: Factory AC or aftermarket

Nice truck! Got any more pics? I'm putting Vintage Air in mine, but I didn't have A/C. If the firewall is already smoothed I would go with V.A.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Having Air is a plus. Factory air is OK but it's much cheaper and easier to use aftermarket. If you use stock, you'll have to pay the price to convert to R134. VA and others make a system to use the stock dash vents. It's also smaller and probably pulls less power.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
franken

I don't know, but I've read the factory setup is vastly better than aftermarket.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
70LonghornCST

It sounds like you are ok with it not being OEM. If you were wanting to keep your truck all original, obviously, OEM would be the way to go. However, it sounds like the previous owner installed a panel over the openings in the firewall. Based on the picture of your truck, it's a very nice truck that you might not want to start tearing into. You'd have to remove the hood; and if you removed the panel from the firewall to re-install the OEM parts, chances are you'd need some repainting...depending upon your engine compartment of course. Since it sounds like you are ok with aftermarket, I'd follow the advice already given. It's easier, and cheaper.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
brown7373

If it were mine, I would stick with the factory air. You have the parts and the brackets, I assume? To my eye, factory A/C just looks cleaner. I don't like the silver compressor and the right angle hoses coming off it. I have heard others say that you can't add heat to it when it is too cold. I don't know if that is the case for all aftermarket systems. Sometimes my A/C is too cold and I have to crack the heat to keep it comfortable.

My 72 Cheyenne with factory air running 134a cools just fine in south Florida. I bought a Haynes manual for A/C systems and read it, reread it and studied it. I now do all my own A/C work. I bought a 30 lb can of 134a from Sam's for less than $100 and I can work on any of my vehicles.

An aftermarket system pretty much consists of all the same parts, so why junk them and buy all new. Some of your original parts will need replaced, like the dryer, expansion valve and my advice is to use the POA valve, not the "updated valve" or "replacement" or what ever. Classic Auto Air in Tampa can supply anything you need, as well as answer any questions you have, for either factory or original. Have the POA valve recalibrated for 134a and it works great.

If I were buying an old vehicle, I would pay more for a vehicle with a working factory air system over an aftermarket. IMHO

Last edited by brown7373; 11-16-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
BugzC10

I finished installing a VA system in my non-truck. If it was originally a facory Air truck and I had most of the parts I probably would have in restalled the factory air. I'm very happy with the VA system though.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Lee H

When I striped down my factory air truck for restoration my intent was to refurbish the OE AC system. When I added up every thing needed, including compressor, condenser, dryer, etc, it was a few hundred under a Vintage Air system. It was a complete working system but needed a total restoration. And it was a forty plus year old technology and I never cared for that big honking unit hanging on the fire wall. I went with VA and glad I did. I don't think there is much if any difference in resale value of an OE AC VS a quality after market unit.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
cdowns

I think the new units are so much more efficient that they pay for itself just in the savings in gas mileage
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
70cst

Hey Geddes71 ...

to the forums and from Ohio

The question is ... do you want to keep your truck stock?

If so then I would keep factory AC.

If factory isn't important than go aftermarket.

By the way nice truck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
barraza

Every few months this question pops up.

I have a Vintage air system in a 67 Camaro, a factory system in a 68 Camaro, and a factory system in a 72k10 truck.

The factory systems are hands down better in my opinion, but I realize that is somewhat dependent on the climate where you live. The main problem with the aftermarket systems is their ability to blend air. The vintage air system works great when it is hot , and when it is cold, but not so good when it is in between. I hate it when it is a little cool and a little heat is required, ie at a time when the factory system would be set on moderate heat and the outside airflow would be perfect without the fan running or at most on low speed. Unfortunately, this kind of condition makes up a majority of the winter days I drive my vintage air Camaro. The vintage air system has no comparable setting, you MUST run the noisy fan.

Also, in a humid climate the lack of ability to intake fresh air is major drawback to the aftermarket systems.

That said, piecing together a factory system from scratch is cost and labor prohibitive. If I didn't have any parts, I would try to adapt a simpler later model system that didn't use a POA. I have thought about modifying my vintage air system to always take in outside air, but I would guess the AC side would not be able to keep up.
barraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
kyuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by barraza View Post
Every few months this question pops up.

I have a Vintage air system in a 67 Camaro, a factory system in a 68 Camaro, and a factory system in a 72k10 truck.

The factory systems are hands down better in my opinion, but I realize that is somewhat dependent on the climate where you live. The main problem with the aftermarket systems is their ability to blend air. The vintage air system works great when it is hot , and when it is cold, but not so good when it is in between. I hate it when it is a little cool and a little heat is required, ie at a time when the factory system would be set on moderate heat and the outside airflow would be perfect without the fan running or at most on low speed. Unfortunately, this kind of condition makes up a majority of the winter days I drive my vintage air Camaro. The vintage air system has no comparable setting, you MUST run the noisy fan.

Also, in a humid climate the lack of ability to intake fresh air is major drawback to the aftermarket systems.

That said, piecing together a factory system from scratch is cost and labor prohibitive. If I didn't have any parts, I would try to adapt a simpler later model system that didn't use a POA. I have thought about modifying my vintage air system to always take in outside air, but I would guess the AC side would not be able to keep up.
This is all great info. So, the Vintage Air isn't as able to knockout the humidity in humid conditions as a factory system? Does it do an acceptable job or not so much?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
72MARIO

Quote:
The factory systems are hands down better in my opinion

I hate my old air setup. Defrost and heat just suck. I wish I would have just left the factory heat/dealer under dash ac installed. worst upgrade ever
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
Geddes71

Thanks for all the comments. There a lot of different opinions but there has also been a lot of helpful info provided to help me make my decision. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

This is a really cool site with tons of info and community feedback.

Thanks
Geddes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

Welcome! I have a Vintage Air sure fit in my 68, it works great and was fairly easy to install. It also allows you to use your factory kick panel vents. JMHO.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
... If you use stock, you'll have to pay the price to convert to R134....
Why? I will use R12 until I die. I have about 50# left. Used wisely it should last a lifetime. It is not that much more expensive than R134 anymore. I don't understand the motivation to change. If you are not licensed for R12, you can get a license easily by mail order.

Also, you can use a Sanden compressor on an original system instead of an A6. Brackets are widely available. That helps mileage instead of the power-hungry A6 and is quiet and reliable.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Given your situation, I'd go with Vintage Air. You can use the factory A/C controller (and I highly recommend this over trying to use the heater only controller) To go back to factory you'll have to remove the hood and PS fender to get the cowl fixed and cut out back to what it should be. For VA you just need to drill some holes.

My truck is a driver, so I didn't care, but on my 65 mustang I wanted it to look a little more factory, so I painted the compressor black.

On both vehicles the A/C is so cold it's turned down after about 10 minutes. The heater works ridiculously well also. I do have issues on certain days with "fog" but I can crack the DS kick vent on either vehicle or crack a window. Not really that big of a deal. Mine are driven year round. I drove the Mustang Saturday to an event in 35* temps.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
barraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss View Post
This is all great info. So, the Vintage Air isn't as able to knockout the humidity in humid conditions as a factory system? Does it do an acceptable job or not so much?
They will knock out the humidity, but it is the equivalent of a factory system running on max cool all the time, noisy fan and can be clammy/stuffy. The worst time is when you need a "little" heat, ie between 45f and 65f. A factory system is easily set to bring in outside air and heat it a little with the fan not even running. The aftermarket systems, not so much.
barraza is offline   Reply With Quote