The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
BB Front End questions.

Been on here a long time and finally have gotten myself into a mess due to lost parts from the PO of my '69. The truck appears to be a original BB and the block is a '69 with '71 heads. All the holes appear to be drilled and tapped for some sort of bracket combination.
Bought the truck roughly 5 years ago with the engine and all the accessories removed, disassembled and in milk crates.
Got the engine professionally overhauled, dyno'd and installed minus any front end accessories. Now I am finalizing the installation with all the front end parts, I am in quandary and am looking for help.

Most of the brackets on the front end are aftermarket solid steel. No "factory original" parts seem to be present. The Sanden compressor from the vintage air system installed had brackets for the pump to be installed on the passenger side. The power steering pump was a newer Saginaw with reservoir type unit installed low on the drivers side, and the alternator on the driver's side above the power steering pump.
I have the brackets for the Saginaw power steering pump and only one piece of the alternator mount.

On all the aftermarket sights I am aware of, I can only find new brackets in my engine's configuration when the water pump is short shaft.
However, the original water pump was a long shaft, and that is what is installed.
I have bought numerous things to try to make something work including an original BB power steering pump (separate reservoir on the fender) and bracket set.

This puzzle has aggravated me to no end so where to start? Change to a short water pump? What is the correct water pump? Where to find brackets for a '69 BB with the alternator on the driver's side with a long pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
CST10

Re: BB Front End questions.

Try Alan Grove parts. They fabricate brackets like your looking for. Not period correct type but they work. These are the brackets that come with vintage air ac kits. Good product.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Parts board on this site as well
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
engineer_gregh

Hi Al. My 71 BB came originally with the short water pump, A/C compressor on passenger side, alternator and p/s pump on drivers side. If you would like some detailed pictures I would be happy to provide them. IMO I would change the water pump to see if it makes the re-assembly easier.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
71 super

All of our trucks were short water pump trucks and all correct brackets are based off of that co figuration, swap back to short pump and sounds like your stuff might work.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
cleanfreak

Just looked at some pictures of your engine. You have long wp pulleys & pump (as you know). The factory stuff will not work with those pulleys & pump. X2 on Allan grove . take a look at their site , they offer brackets in the configuration you describe. Hope this helps a bit - Bob

Last edited by cleanfreak; 12-30-2014 at 11:13 AM.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Many thanks for all the information provided. This truck is the first BB I have worked on in Chevy products (more familiar with Buick). I know SB fairly well and have had to get creative on previous Chevy/GMC trucks I have owned. Part of my handicap is I bought this truck with the whole engine compartment in boxes and no pictures were available.

I knew the PO of the PO I bought the truck from really did some whacky things throughout the engine bay of the truck and now that I know I have some combination of short and long water pump bracket parts, everything is clearer now. Being that our BB setups were originally short water pumps, I am going to get the correct water pump and start from scratch.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote