The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
schmittyjr

Your opinion on disc brake conversions: Parts swap or Kit

Trying to get some opinions here. Im getting ready to do a drum to disc swap on my 65 C10 using a rolling frame of a 72 5 lug disc I found on C-list. I havent actually got it yet and even if all parts are there I assume I will have to replace the MC,calipers, rotors, hoses and pads, and likely repack the bearings due to it sitting for ever. I also wanted drop spindles so Ill have to get those.That being said, would it be cheaper to just get the kit say from LMC for 399. Im thinking I would not have to have it aligned if I did that. Anybody out there went one way or the other and regretted it? Thanks
schmittyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
earl84

Re: Your opinion on disc brake conversions: Parts swap or Kit

Can't say whether or not it would be cheaper in your case, but I replaced the entire front crossmember on my 66 C20 with one from a '79 C20. Gained power steering and brakes, which was the real reason for doing it in the first place. I bought all new Moog parts for anything that would wear out, ie ball joints, tie rod ends, brake hoses, etc. Between the Craigslist price for the cross member and the new parts, I probably had close to $400 into it. Plus some sweat equity cleaning it all up and painting. Installing was actually almost easier than cleaning the dang thing.
I now know exactly what I have and getting replacement parts is as easy as walking itno any parts store and getting '79 C20 stuff. If I do it again, I will do exactly the same thing.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Cooper197

I used a McGaughy bolt on kit, just like the LMC one. I went back and forth between the McGaughy from Summit and the LMC kit, but ultimately went with McGaughy simply because it was a brand I had actually heard of before, and having working brakes is fairly important.

That said, it was a super easy swap. Might as well do ball joints and tie rods and such while doing it, just like if you were to do the sub frame swap.

The nice thing about the McGaughy kit was that I didn't have to replace the master cylinder as it is made to work with the factory one, which also eliminated any possible issues with keeping my rear drums, and it came with new bearings and such.
You have to get McGaughy spindles for their kit, and they have 2.5" drop spindles (which I used) so +1 for that too.

Personally I thought the kit made more sense. There is something to be said for having brand new pads, calipers, and rotors over used stuff for the same price. Ultimately that's why I did the kit, it seemed like less work, and it seemed safer to me to have all brand new components.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
schmittyjr

Thanks Cooper197 for your input. I will check them out.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
schmittyjr

Thanks Earl84 for your input. I have to pay 400 just for the rolling frame plus another 400 for the new parts, so Ill have 800 in it but I would have a complete rear end and suspension as well. I think I need find out what all he has to go with it, and if I can get enough parts it may be worth it. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
19SIKtySix

I'm looking into doing the same kit, but I'm going with Classic Performance Products. They have several different kits available with master cylinder/proportioning valve already installed. You can specify if your doing disc/drum or disc/disc. Plus they have a kit that comes with new suspension also.

-Chuck
19SIKtySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
schmittyjr

Disc/drum to start then add discs to rear after after rearend is replaced. I'm leaning towards buying the 72 frame now to get the rearend and suspension. I'll change my mind 5 times before Saturday though.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Mjminino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper197 View Post
I used a McGaughy bolt on kit, just like the LMC one. I went back and forth between the McGaughy from Summit and the LMC kit, but ultimately went with McGaughy simply because it was a brand I had actually heard of before, and having working brakes is fairly important.

That said, it was a super easy swap. Might as well do ball joints and tie rods and such while doing it, just like if you were to do the sub frame swap.

The nice thing about the McGaughy kit was that I didn't have to replace the master cylinder as it is made to work with the factory one, which also eliminated any possible issues with keeping my rear drums, and it came with new bearings and such.
You have to get McGaughy spindles for their kit, and they have 2.5" drop spindles (which I used) so +1 for that too.

Personally I thought the kit made more sense. There is something to be said for having brand new pads, calipers, and rotors over used stuff for the same price. Ultimately that's why I did the kit, it seemed like less work, and it seemed safer to me to have all brand new components.
Do you have a link to the McGaughy product you used?
Mjminino is offline   Reply With Quote