The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
primoflav

Thumbs up gas tanks

i just bought a 69 c10.the one in my profile pick.i have owned many 92 chevys over the years.but this is my first classic.previous owner removed the dual tanks and put 1 behind the seat.and since mine is built for a camper i would like to switch it back to dual tanks.and was curious how many gallons each original tank would hold.that is going to be next project on the truck.i did a tune up and replaced the carb with a brand new holley and installing a windshield.but i think i made a solid buy i picked up the truck for $1300 running with new wheels and near new tires.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: gas tanks

Stock your truck had an ~21 gallon tank in the cab behind the seat. Any dual or saddle tanks were generally an aftermarket installation though dealer installed accessory tanks were also offered.

* VIN/Model Decoders
* Power Team Charts (engine/transmission/gear ratio)
* Post Your Pickup SPID Blazer SPID Suburban/Panel SPID
* RTFM
... Read The Factory Manuals... download 'em here
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #3
primoflav

Thanks for the info.was lookin online couldnt find a answer.i am waint for the chilton book to arrive ordered from ebay.i want to eventually do full rebuild with my son and daughter.so they enjoy the truck and camping trips that much more.just bought it a two weeks ago give or take a couple days.i would preffer dual tanks to free up behind the seat.and for more fuel for traveling.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
SS Tim

If you need them add some saddle tanks down the road. Just don't be in a hurry to dump the cab tank. It works and works well. Another thing to consider is fuel gets heavy fast and a pair of 20 gal saddle tanks is going to weigh at least 250lbs.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
primoflav

Weight was part of my thoughts since rear wheel drive and we get some good snow from time to time and wanna make it a road tripper as well down the line bit ride now its everydY driver so maybe will wait and pick something else to start with cause right now am liking the speed and snow season is close to over