The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
KD4UPL

How to appraise a truck?

What is the best way to establish a fair value for a truck? Is there something like NADA or Kelly Blue Book that covers these older vehicles? Is there a book or website that helps determine a value for a classic truck? Maybe this site has such a feature and I haven't found it yet.
In pricing a truck for sale I don't want to appear to be taking advantage of anyone or price gouging. Nor do I want to give the truck away for a crazy cheap price.
I got my truck for a very very good deal so even my purchase price really isn't a good guide. Is it just a matter of looking around at other trucks and guessing based on that?

Thanks,
1987 S-10 Blazzer Sold, 1986 GMC Jimmy Sold, 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 2wd, 6.0, auto. Sold, 2007 Chevy 3500 SRW 4wd D/A Sold, 2005 Chevy 3500 4wd CC, D/A, dually, 2001 Chevy 3500 4wd EC, 8.1/A dually, 1969 Chevy C10 short bed, 307 V8
KD4UPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
mikeshome

Re: How to appraise a truck?

I dont think there is such a site.But the thing is these trucks are worth alott if you find the right person and others that wont give you anything.You could get it appraised by an appraiser'that is what insurance companys go by.Even then i would only consider that as average amount.
mikeshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Lay under truck on back and look up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
bill3rail

Seems to be no guides on it, just a lot of experts in vehicle restoration that will appraise it for you.
Don,t forget, if they are not into your vehicle their opinion will be lower, and they will give you a lower value.
if your restoration is immaculate, the value should be great with anyone that understands what it took to get it there.

Bill
bill3rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
serge

Went to a licensed appraiser to value truck for insurance purposes(cost $85.00). He placed value at 60%+/- higher then I would have estimated. Says our trucks have really become popular and more valuable since 2010.
This certainly help justify my sweat equity.
Good luck.
Serge
Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
leddzepp

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
True, but that doesn't work for insurance purposes.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
1972BlueC20

You can go to Mecum auctions website and sign up for free to their Infonet.

It gives you all the previous sale prices on all vehicles by make and model.

https://www.mecum.com/infonet-sign-up.cfm
Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
engineer_gregh

Just to add my .02 cents; location and/or region plays into the price of these trucks. If you're up in the north east then they typically bring higher prices if brought in from no rust regions. If you're in an area with no rust and a more plentiful supply is available then the price might be lower. Originality and documentation makes them worth more to me, others might be into modified trucks. In the end they are worth what any one person is willing to pay for them at any given moment.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
True, but that doesn't work for insurance purposes.
The OP isn't asking for insurance purposes here.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Coley

Smile Re: How to appraise a truck?

I base truck value on the general market out there and not specific 'one offs'
If you search around enough it is easy to find similar examples to your truck and its condition and simply reference the asking prices.
Be careful tho'....the driving factor here is the (probable) sell price relative to the asking price.
Remember a lot of guys want you to pay for their restoration hours and their style/part choices....and it doesn't happen or work that way unfortunately.
A guy who spent 1500 hours sanding the frame and painting it with super duper ultra maximum paint is not going to get paid back for that 95% of the time...unless he finds a super duper ultra maximum buyer who specifically wants that. The same thing goes for spending $10k on the motor....that spent money usually is not coming back in most cases.
There were so many of these trucks made its just not hard to find another one (generally speaking) that contradicts a high 'one off' asking price.
From a general standpoint the first 'driver' in vehicle value for me is the body condition...rust free? dent free? or?
This can drop a 1/2 SWB value right down below a 3/4 ton long box if its a physical basket case....and vice versa.
So....do some research on asking prices of similar trucks....I would search for no less than 10 examples and perhaps upwards of 20-25 and go from there.
All Good!
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 04-13-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
dubds10
Stalker Nate

No guides & insurance appraisals can often be on the high side. Check local listing & see what's selling fast & what's been listed for a long time. Hard to say what your truck is worth without pics though but most people here know their market prices. Auctions I find are never accurate as they are often inflated especially in the bigger auctions. Unless you have a rare original BBC/swb etc these trucks are still a dime a dozen & people search everywhere for the best deal.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
leftybass209

Appraisals are all well and good if the appraiser works for the insurance company or was sent by your insurance company. I'm not going to debate what classic car insurance companies are good or bad here, but, it would behoove you to get a good classic car insurance company, and have them appraise it from in-house. Standard insurance companies are bottom - dollar total you out machines. Outside of insurance purposes, it's worth the highest offer someone gives you.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
cooperhw

You can go onto SearchTempest and enter C10 as search criteria. Select "Any" as the distance you wish to search and add your zip code.
What this site does is bring every craigslist ad that has "C10" in the ad starting with your area and keeps looking in ever widening circles. Your town, county, state, next state, ect.
THis will give you a good estimate of what is out there and what kinda money they are getting (or at least asking) for similar trucks.
I used this method to find GTO seats (6 way power buckets) for my Chevelle. I found a primo set in some Podunk town in Oklahoma that I never would have searched on my own. $75 shipping later, they went in my car.
J.M.O.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote