The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
leftybass209

Manual fill airbag questions

I'm to the point where I'm debating between a static drop for the rear (ECE most likely) or manual fill bags. The reason for the manual fill, is because I'm not looking to lay my truck out or do any of that jazz, I would just prefer the adjustability of bags for rare occasions and an upgrade in ride quality. Most of the information I found here is from 5-10 years back so I'm sure there's been some improvements or changes in quality of parts available.

My questions are-
What is the cost of rear bags ($??) versus the cost of an ECE static drop for the rear ($370) or ECE rear drop springs ($120). I understand there's shock relocator brackets, drop shocks, track bar, and c notch involved for both setups.

Is there any reason manual bags would need unnecessary maintenance over a static drop?

Are there any inherent issues with bags, and do the issues outweigh the benefits of bags in your opinion?

Thanks in advance everyone!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Manual fill airbag questions

If you are talking about just the rear, ECE also has a manual bag kit. I would highly recommend it. It will allow you to carry stuff and the ride is very nice.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Longhorn 70

WOW....I need another cup of coffee. When I first read the title of the post, I was thinking are you going to be able to do that in time if there is a collision?

I am adding manual type bags to the rear of my wife's RAV. There have been times when, as stated above, the load in the rear of the car makes it sit a bit low. I didn't think it would be a problem but the change in geometry affected the handling.

With a manual fill for the bags in the rear, you'll also be able to tune it for the look you'd like as well as increased cargo.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
EARNHARDT#3

Hmm...maybe I'll do this on the rear of mine. I currently (PO installed) have Jeep TJ springs in the rear. They're super soft. I'm not kidding when I say if my 60lb kid sits on the tailgate it drops 2"! Yesterday I was laying on the ground looking under my truck without it being jacked up and I reached up and was able to squeeze two of the coils about 1/4" together with my hand LOL
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Manual fill airbag questions

Best money I ever spent towards my suspension. Helper air lift bags. I have them inside all 4 coils and the truck rides grat. The rear I have on a compressor with a gauge to fill them up inside the cab. The fronts are filled up manually and don't have to be changed at all.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
leftybass209

Thanks for the pics Andy. Tom, I didn't really understand the ECE website when it priced out the rear bag kit, so I guess i'll have to call them. I plan on making a trip down there Friday or Monday to pick up a rear drop spring kit, or order some bag setup online. I suppose I can check their bag setup out in person when I get there then decide.

It always helps in person too because I look at my wife approval and when she's on the spot she says "which ever you would like!"
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
67chevemall

I have 4 way bags with schroeder valves in the glove box....down with the thumb and up with the compressor, air pig, or 12v onboard compressor. Way less parts and works great.

Only have to increase the rears when I have a load in the bed. Fronts stay the same 99 percent of the time.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote