The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
pointer80

how hard to fix, and where to buy rear tailgate handle?

Hi guys, I finally got my blazer home from out west and it needs a tailgate handle(manual) and was wanting to know how hard it is to replace and where is a good source to purchase one? Also is there any videos on the web that walks a guy through the process? Thanks guy's.
Attached Images

pointer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
SilverMiner

Re: how hard to fix, and where to buy rear tailgate handle?

pointer80 - I don't know of any threads or youtube videos that take you through this step by step, but I don't remember it being terribly difficult when I did this on my 78 Jimmy about seven years ago. As I recall, I found it necessary to remove the window and regulator assembly in order to access the handle and crank assembly from the back side. That was probably the hardest part because my boys were pretty young at the time and I struggled to get the window out and back in by myself.

The handle and crank assembly is available from LMC, and that is what I used and it's still being used. Having the new part in front of you helps you figure out how it all works and comes out. Figuring out how to remove the old lock and get it back into the new one stumped me briefly, but either I figured it out on my own or must have found something online because somehow I got 'er done.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
jermasaurus

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I Went for the one on amazon for less than $30.

SilverMiner is correct about removing the window regulator.

While it's out, it would be a good time to replace the track felt and window sweeps if needed. The felts in my tracks were long gone, and the window was just scraping on metal. I had some 2" wide felt tape with adhesive backing that I stuck into the tracks like the original(also bought on amazon).

I replaced my window sweeps with the ones from rockauto. I think $45 plus shipping.

One thing to note with your handle- It looks like your lock cylinder is missing in the picture? You need a lock cylinder because that is what holds all the pieces in place for the "clutch" that turns the regulator. Maybe you will find the pieces in your tailgate.

This guys video shows how everything is held together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsFD_tDLIM
Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I had to replace mine as well but it was over five years ago. I did not remove the glass, I rolled it out with the tailgate down and propped it up so there was no tension on it. Not the best way to do it, asking for trouble for sure, but it can be done. But like they said, once the access panel is removed and the glass is out of the way it's pretty easy. I do recall having to fiddle with it quite awhile to get the new lock cylinder to drop in, but other than that it went smoothly.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
pointer80

Thanks guy's for the info, very helpful.
pointer80 is offline   Reply With Quote