The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
88Ironduke

T-5 Speedomter Output PPM?

I was reading a really thread today on the LS forum http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668385 and the tid bit about the speedometer conversion using S-10 components caught my attention.

My understanding of World Class T-5 is the later units in the S-10s in the 90's were the better built transmissions but the draw back is the digital output of the transmission. I'm not a fan buzz boxes and convertors to make things work sorta right. While the older non-world class units are a little more plentiful there are allot more the 90's S-10 at the wrecking yards than the late 80's. So the question does anyone have numbers on T-5s and how many pulses per mile is the output given to the ECM in those trucks? And are there variations on the output sensors/model years that can be installed into a given transmission to affect the PPM output? Just brainstorming ideas on how to make a electronic output T-5 a good fit for our old trucks.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
88Ironduke

Re: T-5 Speedomter Output PPM?

Disregard this post. It seems the more plentiful T-5s I am seeing the junk yards are using the Ford pattern and require some serious $$$ in adapters and goodies. Going to keep trolling for an early 80s trans.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
hugger6933

I have two T-5's, one from a 80's Camaro and another from a S-10. I was under the impression of combining the two to make a hybrid type T-5 to better suit my needs [bench seating] in my C-10. If I'm not mistaken though it has been awhile since I looked at them for that project[project cheapie] but I think the trans I planed on using the most of was a mechanical speedo type. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
88Ironduke

Agreed. I just have to keep my eyes open. I was brain storming a speedometer from another GM that is an early electronic 80s speedo that is self buffering. Which means if a suitable transmission ever popped up that that the VSS signal could be modified to a square wave signal it could be super cool. My GM speedo can be fed directly from the VSS sensor with out the need for an ECM/PCM in the way. I have already modified built one circuit to accomplish this on a 4T60E and it worked perfectly. Was wondering if the same technique would work on my 72' need for a T-5 install.

"These are the things I sit and think about when I'm home alone and the power is out" George Carlin