The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #26
Chulisohombre

Re: A Tale of Two Hatches

That looks Awesome Scot. Great job.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #27
scot70

Thanks, it was trashed.
scot70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #28
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot70 View Post
Thanks, it was trashed.
Please post the product info when you can. Thanks.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #29
scot70

Gravitex paintable chip guaRd white, upo722 , $33.71. Per 1 liter. Need two to do inside and out. You will also need the spray gun that goes with it. Upo726. $ 12.50. These products are from Industrial Finishes.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #30
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot70 View Post
Gravitex paintable chip guaRd white, upo722 , $33.71. Per 1 liter. Need two to do inside and out. You will also need the spray gun that goes with it. Upo726. $ 12.50. These products are from Industrial Finishes.
Thanks. Is it pretty straight forward? What kind of prep did you do? My hatch is already sanded and repaired. Just needs texture and paint. What about UV protection? I live in South Texas and the sun is a killer out here.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #31
scot70

Not an issue. It is the same paint and clear coat that is going on the outside of my rig. Call induatrial finishes. I am in Eugene oregon. Walt behind the counter, is very experienced, he can answer all of your questions.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #32
Senorx

Anybody heard of a product called Zolotone? It's a textured paint. Looking at it as another option for getting my top painted.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #33
Senorx

Picked up my hatch from the body shop today. Checking the fitting in this pic. I also had the hinges powder coated white last month. Now I need to yank all the hardware from my donor hatch and put the window back on. Something tells me I'm not out of the woods by a long shot.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #34
Chulisohombre

Looks like it fits good. Hopefully everything goes back in easily for you. Then are you painting it body color again like the rest of the top?
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #35
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Looks like it fits good. Hopefully everything goes back in easily for you. Then are you painting it body color again like the rest of the top?
It's black right now. I'm going back to white to match my white steelies. Trying to get back to as factory look as possible. The hatch was retextured in white.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #36
Chulisohombre

Ok I was thinking if you sent it to the body shop and didn't have it painted what was the end game. Mine is white as well. I don't think the black looks as good. Also attracts more heat into the cab of the truck.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #37
Senorx

Is it easier to install the glass with the hatch on or off the top? Any pointers on reinstalling the glass? It was fairly easy to remove, but doesn't look like it's gonna be easy to put back in.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #38
Chulisohombre

I've only done a couple on pickups. Just need a piece of thin rope. Lots of soapy water to lube it into place. Install bottom half of window into the channel of the frame. With rope to the outside of the window. Someone on inside giving slight pressure to the window to push it through. Start slowly pulling the rope through the outside to get the window seal to pull through. Helps to have a window tool or a dental pick to help pull on the seal if the rope doesn't pull it through all the way. Get half way around and start pulling the other end of rope through evenly to get it to fully pop through. That's basically it if you can tell what I'm saying. A glass shop should do it for you for a few bucks if you are scared to break it. I have also done that once putting too much pressure on it and using a screwdriver to pry it through.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #39
Senorx

Would it be easier to replace the glass with hatch off or bolted back on to the top? Any idea where I should start removing the hardware and guts from my donor hatch?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #40
Chulisohombre

I would say on because it needs to be slightly pressed as you try to Pull the seal in. But like I said I did it on pickups not a blazer.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #41
Senorx

Pulled all the guts out of my donor hatch today. Took a bunch of pics and labeled everything. Only 3 bolts broke, so it went smoother than I thought. How should I clean everything? Do you think sandblasting the parts is too much?
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #42
Senorx

Tried to remove the handle and it's mechanism just now. Scratching my head on how it comes out. I removed the two large screws already. What next?
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #43
hemi43

You need to remove that snap ring. All that hardware is begging to be cleaned with electrolysis. :-)
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #44
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
You need to remove that snap ring. All that hardware is begging to be cleaned with electrolysis. :-)
So removing the ring should allow the shaft to slide out? What's the best way to do it? I don't want to destroy or distort that ring. I have a feeling it's tough to find a replacement.

I'd probably electrocute myself.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #45
Senorx

Removed the lock ring and the bracket came off. The shaft should just slide out of the spring cylinder, correct? Mine seems to be fussed together with rust. Gonna soak it over night and see if that does it. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #46
hemi43

Snap rings are standard parts that can be purchased anywhere and only cost pennies.
Try heating the parts with a propane torch so see if they will come apart. If not, the just soak the assembly in a light acid. Try vinegar before going out to purchase something stronger.
Dan
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote