The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Restomod questions

I am about a year out. Looking for ideas, guidance, slap in the face.

It is my desire to have a truck built. It will look like a 72 LWB 4WD, but I want the modern goodies. Engine, tranny, suspension etc. I would also like it to be an extended cab (I know no extended cab exists). I am sure to be built custom.

I am not a purist, except for the look. I like stock looking.

Are there any examples around?

Pros, cons?

Just need a lot of discussion and ideas.

Thanks,

Tim

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Restomod questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcos View Post

It is my desire to have a truck built. It will look like a 72 LWB 4WD, but I want the modern goodies. Engine, tranny, suspension etc. I would also like it to be an extended cab (I know no extended cab exists). I am sure to be built custom.

Pros, cons?

Thanks,

Tim
All it takes is money.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

There have been a few trucks (extended cabs built search the threads) there was one for sale on ebay a few month ago .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don't understand why most people seem to only like these trucks for their looks when they were built back then to stand the test of time and they obviously still are. All so many seem to want to do is change them from what they are. These are so much more than good looking trucks. I wish there was a body kit to make new trucks look like these so people would leave the greatest trucks built alone. I'm not a purist, either. I have never left anything totally stock. But I do what I do while maintaining respect with the mind to stick somewhat close to what they are. These are modern trucks still. They ride well and go right on down the same hiways they did when they were new. And if anything goes wrong you can fix it yourself.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Mike C

Everything on a 71-72 4x4 truck is "modern" save for overdrive and fuel injection. The drivetrain with nothing but minor mods made it all the way through '91. And the new Ford's and Dodges still run basically the same setup except switching to coil springs and trailing arms in the front.

If you want to do a truck with coils all the way around and trailing arms then you probably wouldn't have posted this generically on a mainstream sight. But if you want a nice driver, just find the fuel injected motor and auto OD trans of your choice and adapt to the NP205 and drive it, it's a modern truck by most standards already.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I remember, not so long ago, when cars needed to be modern and trucks needed to be trucks . I guess the audience has changed and marketing has responded. I also remember when it was a very cool (and somewhat rare) thing to see a gal driving a truck...and even more rare to see a white collar

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
swamp rat

I say do what you want, just research it a little, Do your own leg work, there is a few builds here that are just body transplants, that seems to be an easier way to get the modern stuff if that's what your looking for. I have always wanted an extended cab and even today that dream is alive but i know its beyond my ability and probably budget too unless i use the VISA...

Learn to use the forum "advanced search" feature or even better sometimes using Google is better using "67-72 chevytrucks" then add to that key words like "extended cab" or "transplant" or "Duramax",or whatever, you get the idea..

Personally i understand the suspension part of it on a 4x4, a straight axle isn't as good as todays plush riding IFS, but for the rest i absolutely hate computers, on board tracking, sensors ect..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

All great input. Thanks I appreciate it.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
jocko

I THINK this is/was a member's - if so, someone pls chime in with the name - like to give credit when it's due! Anyway, here is some inspiration.

As for "how" modern you want to go - well, it's up to you, but keep in mind the more complex you make it, the longer it will take you, or a builder, to build. And the cost goes up with the time spent. Where one tends to find these types of projects is in the for sale section as unfinished projects - they become too hard. But, then again, all time/budget dependent. For me, the extent of modernizing something, if I were so inclined, would include an o/d trans, matched rear gears, and if I was feeling really squirrely, a manifold mounted fuel injection unit. Not much more. The 350 is a good engine. Again, that's IF I were so inclined... But I'm not, so I keep em as close to stock as I can. I used to hot rod stuff all the time, now I find I get just as much pleasure, if not more, out of restoring stuff - not necessarily to the way it looked the day it rolled off the line, but to what it could have. For instance, I have a factory am/fm in my 72 C20. Nothing special (unless you've priced a nice one lately...) and nobody would know it wasn't factory unless they checked the SPID. I like modern convenience as much as the next guy - but not stuff that is obvious, it just detracts too much from the vibe of what makes these trucks special. I'm getting myself all teary eyed and I hear GM theme music in the background now, I better go.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Plenty of info on LS swaps, suspension kits/swaps and what not on this site. Searching any of these will turn up many threads. Enough to answer all of your questions for sure. If you're wanting to have a truck built, do yourself a favor and hit up Gary Angel @ Street Driven Customs right there in Bentonville off hwy 72. He can do everything you just listed and the metalwork/paint needed to build an extended cab or whatever you can dream up. Very talented, professional and delivers on time. He did the wiring & plumbing on my '69 C10 and built some custom panels under the hood to finish out what I had already done in the engine bay. He's also done a ton of stuff for Mike Losh (Slosh Tubz, Cloud 9, Square Peg - all have threads on this forum).

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
Mmorgan32

The sky is the limit. Screw the people who tell you changing your truck to modern is wrong it's your truck do what you want it's not like is a copo Camaro where changing it would ruin its value they made a million of these things and they are still around cause they are Chevys and they will run forever and people love them. Now if you had a completely stock nice truck I'd say leave it. My truck driver is pretty much stock and I love it that way. But you own it so make it your own! As for engine I like 5.3 vortecs. Good engine decent gas and still pretty easy to work on or if you just want fuel injection stick with the engine you have and put on a fast set up its either Holley or edelbrock that makes it. Personally I wouldn't do an ifs front end the make really nice stock style suspension set ups for half the price and work
Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
72 tigger

My 72 extended cab I built in '96. Stock drivetrain but LS would be nice
Attached Images

72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
notsolo

Sounds like a plan, Don't know this guy, but this cab looks great. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674992
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
gottattooz

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to fit the older sheet metal onto a newer chassis. For example, get a late model Silverado extended cab and fit the 67-72 front clip and bed onto the cab and chassis. I've seen door skins grafted onto newer panels to complete the look.

My dad and I have a 2002 extended cab rolling chassis we want to graft into a 1959 Apache pickup.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

This was original post
Quote:
I am about a year out. Looking for ideas, guidance, slap in the face....

....I am not a purist, except for the look. I like stock looking.*

....Pros, cons?*

....Just need a lot of discussion and ideas.*

Thanks,

Tim
This was my reply per his post. Post#6:
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't understand why most people seem to only like these trucks for their looks when they were built back then to stand the test of time and they obviously still are. All so many seem to want to do is change them from what they are. These are so much more than good looking trucks. I wish there was a body kit to make new trucks look like these so people would leave the greatest trucks built alone. I'm not a purist, either. I have never left anything totally stock. But I do what I do while maintaining respect with the mind to stick somewhat close to what they are. These are modern trucks still. They ride well and go right on down the same hiways they did when they were new. And if anything goes wrong you can fix it yourself.
This was OP's next post. Post#8:
Quote:
All great input. Thanks I appreciate it.
This was your post. Post#11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmorgan32 View Post
The sky is the limit. Screw the people who tell you changing your truck to modern is wrong it's your truck do what you want it's not like is a copo Camaro where changing it would ruin its value they made a million of these things and they are still around cause they are Chevys and they will run forever and people love them....
That's right, they'll run forever as they were built and people have always loved them. It's true and I agree, it's his truck to do what he wants with...just like what is getting to be what seems like most want these days and I think that's a shame. One innovator doing his thing is cool, but when I see someone everyday wanting this it starts to bother me. That is what I was voicing and the OP welcomed it. The fact is you actually can drive these trucks every day just fine as they are, but myths are building up about modernizing being necessary. These were built when interstates had 70 mph speed limits just like today. I would say screw you too, but we don't talk to each other that way here. And, that is what this post is mean to do, remind you of, how we treat each other here. I didn't disrespect the OP and there is no need for you to disrespect me

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-29-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
Mmorgan32

Quote:
This was original post

This was my reply per his post. Post#6:

This was OP's next post. Post#8:

This was your post. Post#11:

That's right, they'll run forever as they were built and people have always loved them. It's true and I agree, it's his truck to do what he wants with...just like what is getting to be what seems like most want these days and I think that's a shame. One innovator doing his thing is cool, but when I see someone everyday wanting this it starts to bother me. That is what I was voicing and the OP welcomed it. The fact is you actually can drive these trucks every day just fine as they are, but myths are building up about modernizing being necessary. These were built when interstates had 70 mph speed limits just like today. I would say screw you too, but we don't talk to each other that way here. And, that is what this post is mean to do, remind you of, how we treat each other here. I didn't disrespect the OP and there is no need for you to disrespect me
Did I say screw Special K ? No I didn't. My comment wasn't directed at you personally I really don't like when people take old cars/ trucks and make them modern either I like mine to look like they did in the 70s when people. were customizing them back then. All I was saying to him is you have a vision for your truck follow it don't let other people talk you out of it. My post was not directed at you it was directed to him to tell him to do what he wants. And yes I feel they were built better back them That's why my truck is basically stock and I drive it every single day
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

It's cool, all good, no grudges. We even seem to like our trucks in the same way. No, you didn't mention my name, but I was one of two who did post comments that could be seen as discouraging. I didn't take it as directly only at me, but I can only respond for myself. I'm not even that sensitive. I can take a "screw you", but this is a huge bunch of people and I'm saying that was a poor choice of words, since you don't know us all personally...that's all. I did single you out and I know that puts a person on the defense. I understand, sorry, and just like you I wanted to set something straight. I think it's straight now.

I was just at an all GM show (Carlisle) and there was a Sting Ray there that looked kinda different, a bit wider and bigger. It was a body made to look like a '63 (w/'67 427 hood & stripe) made to set on a newer Vette. That is what I wish someone would come out with for these trucks for those who only appreciate the looks but feel they need all the things a modern vehicle has

Tim

Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Mmorgan32

Quote:
It's cool, all good, no grudges. We even seem to like our trucks in the same way. No, you didn't mention my name, but I was one of two who did post comments that could be seen as discouraging. I didn't take it as directly only at me, but I can only respond for myself. I'm not even that sensitive. I can take a "screw you", but this is a huge bunch of people and I'm saying that was a poor choice of words, since you don't know us all personally...that's all. I did single you out and I know that puts a person on the defense. I understand, sorry, and just like you I wanted to set something straight. I think it's straight now.

I was just at an all GM show (Carlisle) and there was a Sting Ray there that looked kinda different, a bit wider and bigger. It was a body made to look like a '63 (w/'67 427 hood & stripe) made to set on a newer Vette. That is what I wish someone would come out with for these trucks for those who only appreciate the looks but feel they need all the things a modern vehicle has
It's cool man and ya screw them was a poor choice of words. I got a mouth and I know it. Seeing all the bagged trucks gets old everyone does it.

As for the 4 door truck I think those are really cool if chevy had made a quad cab back then I think that's how they would have done it.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
TypeSL2

Quote:
I remember, not so long ago, when cars needed to be modern and trucks needed to be trucks . I guess the audience has changed and marketing has responded. I also remember when it was a very cool (and somewhat rare) thing to see a gal driving a truck...and even more rare to see a white collar
A couple of years ago, my wife and I were in the market for a truck we could use around the house. All the newer trucks that fit what we were looking for cost quite a lot of money. We have always loved the looks of the older trucks, but I have grown up working on the newest GM stuff. So it was pretty much a no brainer for us. We found our old '64 that was a decent truck out of the gate, save for lots of body work. Dropped an LS motor in it with a newer 5 speed manual trans and swapped disc brakes onto it and have a rather reliable truck for quite a bit less than the newer trucks. Say what you will I guess, but there is always going to be someone out there that wants to improve on an otherwise timeless classic.

James

Last edited by kcsa75; 07-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #20
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
A couple of years ago, my wife and I were in the market for a truck we could use around the house. All the newer trucks that fit what we were looking for cost quite a lot of money. We have always loved the looks of the older trucks, but I have grown up working on the newest GM stuff. So it was pretty much a no brainer for us. We found our old '64 that was a decent truck out of the gate, save for lots of body work. Dropped an LS motor in it with a newer 5 speed manual trans and swapped disc brakes onto it and have a rather reliable truck for quite a bit less than the newer trucks. Say what you will I guess, but there is always going to be someone out there that wants to improve on an otherwise timeless classic.

James
Well put.

Someone asks a question "Restomod questions" and some (not naming or pointing a finger at anyone) get up in the air that, "These trucks should not be changed".

Back in the forties these same issues came up with older folks spewing at the kids for modifying "THEIR" cars to go faster when they got back from the war. Drag racing, Salt Lake racing, OUR ENTIRE AFTERMARKET HOBBY OWES IT'S ROOTS TO THESE FOLKS. I personally am very happy that they didn't listen to their elders then or now. But he asked for opinions, and got em. Both sides of the story have merit.

Your truck. Do what you want to it.

Maybe find a good shop that has done this type work before.
As you can tell I have not even posted my opinion yet on this type of a restomod.
The OP asked for opinions and got them.

I personally think it would be an awesome truck to have a 72 LWB(or short), extended cab, fleetside, LS-2, 6 speed automatic, cruise control, tilt, disc all the way, air conditioned, leather seats, nice stereo, but (and this is only my opinion) I would still want it to look like a 72 inside and out. Just all the conveniences of a modern truck. I personally don't care for the dropping an old body on a newer truck. Sitting in the truck it would not look like an old truck. It's like these guys dropping an old coupe car body on an S-10. Sitting in the car driving, "IT'S AN S-10".

No offense meant to anybody.
JMO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros, cons?

Last edited by kcsa75; 07-01-2015 at 03:49 PM.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote