The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
54belair

Clutch linkage--Which bell crank?

Over the course of my build so far, I have bought two different used clutch linkage assys. Not knowing exactly what I was going to need before it was done.
Im including a pic. of the two bellcrank assys together. One is short with the U shaped bracket and the other is a longer unit with the ballstud on a bracket that bolts to the block.

At first I thought the longer bellcrank was for a v8 and the shorter one for an I6. After getting the engine located back in the frame I set about figuring out what linkage would work. Turns out Ill need the shorter bellcrank with a block mounted screw in ballstud. I have some pics of the engine install in my last post of my thread.

Anyway----my question is- can anyone identify what the two bellcranks were originally used for from the following pic?
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
88fordf150

Re: Clutch linkage--Which bell crank?

The one on the bottom is what my 69 small block came with.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
54belair

To use the bottom one with a small block--your frame mounted bracket must be located different than mine.

I was thnking it was for an 8----but sure was too long for my application.

I guess there must be a diff. bracket for a 6 and an 8 ( my truck was a factory I6)

ANYONE have any pics of their frame mounted clutch bracket??
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
SHANE 73Z

Heres a pic of mine.

The front bolt is the factory hole on the bracket & frame. The rear portion of the bracket has been modified to clear the Hotchkis shock mounts.

Shane

Last edited by SHANE 73Z; 07-06-2013 at 10:33 AM.
SHANE 73Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
SHANE 73Z

After looking at your pics more, are you sure the engine is mounted in the stock SBC location?

The points on the frame, shock location etc. it appears more to me that your engine is too far rearward.

Shane
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
54belair

Engine location isnt something Ive considered--- The previous engine (v8) was in same location. Motor mounts are using the center and rear hole on the frame.

Guess I need someone to chime in on this as well. In the trucks previous life, the engine was in the same place and did have firewall clearance.
Now would be the perfect time to address engine location---before I locate the rear crossmember.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Don Quixote

Ah-ha! Very familiar indeed. My truck came stock with a 292 and I put in a 350 because in the late 90s I was having trouble getting rebuild parts for the 292.

That said, my original V8 conversion sat right where you have it, I didn't have to move my transmission, it fit, albeit tightly and I was happy. I just used the fan extension from my I6 and all was right with the world.

About 8 years later I put a new chassis under the truck and mad maxed the rest of the parts of the donor truck to set things right.

The transmission crossmember is right but in the wrong spot, the holes are already in the frame to make it right. Same for the holes for the engine mounts. Once your driveline and exhaust are dialled in, you are all set.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Hope this photo will help. It is a 1964 1/2 ton with a 292 4 speed.
Attached Images

TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Don Quixote

That leads me to questions about my own truck though. Where can I get the bracket for the block stud? I got mine bolted directly to the rear hole because the front hole for the bracket is not drilled. Seeing the pictures I saw something wrong with my own setup. My crank is crooked and while it works, I can see its not right.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
54belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
That leads me to questions about my own truck though. Where can I get the bracket for the block stud? I got mine bolted directly to the rear hole because the front hole for the bracket is not drilled. Seeing the pictures I saw something wrong with my own setup. My crank is crooked and while it works, I can see its not right.

Ive been doing a lot of reading and thinking tonight about engine location-----About your engine bracket-----I may have one to sell if I dont use it
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Don Quixote

54, if you do so, shoot me a PM. I had one at one time but it broke and it was one that the stud was snot welded on. I actually wonder if I cant make a bracket with a length of 1/4" flat, make a hole to bolt on the frame (I have only one hole on the frame, I don't know why) and make a threaded hole for the stud...

Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
SHANE 73Z

Good lord, this conversation is following right down the same path I encountered!

The CPP frame mounts I used are mounted in the front 2 holes. They are supposed to locate the SBC in the stock location but use a 1969 Camaro (safety) block mount. I did this as the stock style motormounts can come completely apart when they fail.

Once I had the motor mounted, I made the block side bracket. I was unable to locate a replacement. I just used 1/4"x1" bar stock. I also had to tap the forward hole in the block. Then I used a frame side stud located square with the frame bracket. This means I ended up using outer studs for both ends.

I was never able to find a stock z-bar that worked, So I essentially made my own.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
SHANE 73Z

Heres some info on my z-bar and linkage parts.

This thread shows the z-bar PN CTH-11 from American Classics. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=441449

I did have to cut a section out of the middle to shorten it. The dogleg on the outer lever arm helped clear my headers.

I used the straight(er) upper linkage rod and its close to the edge of the firewall hole. The lower rod I just used a rod end & a long grade 8 bolt sans head.

Shane
Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
SHANE 73Z

Hey guys, just realized I should point you to my build thread. There are tons of pictures of my clutch linkage and other things that might help you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534759

Hope Ive helped,
Shane
Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
54belair

After weighing the pro's and con's (of moving the engine forward) Ive decided that since the old engine was in this location (with HEI) I would just leave it there.
I know this will present other "opportunities" with the clutch rod lengths, and exhaust----but, Prodlem solving is what its all about!! Ive included more pics showing the bell crank/ballstud installation. Since the engine is located in the rear motor mount holes I had to use a ballstud screwed directly into the block along with the shorter I6 bellcrank (the v8 bellcrank was too long). As I mentioned I will probably encounter clutch rod length issues when I put the cab back on the frame but that can be handled either by using the adjustable rods or by cutting and welding the original.
I will put more details of this job on my build thread.
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
SHANE 73Z

54Bel,

I dont see why that wont work. Your frame bracket is in the correct location & the z-bar looks fairly parallel.

The upper rod should work just fine. The lower rod will be longer than what I ended up with. I used the extra room with the engine forward, to hide my EFI stuff & make room for my giant valve covers.

Good luck,
Shane
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
54belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE 73Z View Post
54Bel,

I dont see why that wont work. Your frame bracket is in the correct location & the z-bar looks fairly parallel.

The upper rod should work just fine. The lower rod will be longer than what I ended up with. I used the extra room with the engine forward, to hide my EFI stuff & make room for my giant valve covers.

Good luck,
Shane
Yeah, I checked it with a protractor and its about 1 deg. off of 90 deg.. I cant remember which cars I had ( a 68 camaro and/or a 67 chevelle) used the block mounted ball stud from the factory so its fine to mount to the block directly.
The previous engine had an HEI And tall valve covers so the clearance issues should be negligable. When I first started thinking about it, I was concerned about exhaust and clutch rods---But ram horns clear (closer than Id like to motor mount), but I can fix that too with a shield if needed. I am using a long water pump and all the alt./ AC compressor brackets might have to be changed if I moved it back forward------so, it stays where its at and I Fix any issues as they come up.!!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
jdalexa84

I know this is reviving an old thread but which bell crank did you use. I'm having the exact same issue I have the one that is like the bottom of your picture and if i take the bracket with the ball on it out it the bell crank would hit the block where the dipstick is.

Edit: ok reading again I see that you used the I6 bell crank... how has this worked for you

Last edited by jdalexa84; 07-07-2015 at 08:59 PM.
jdalexa84 is offline   Reply With Quote