The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
bestchevyfan

Things ?????????????

What is things to be done to a truck to get it running that has been sitting up a few years. Thanks,buddy
bestchevyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Things ?????????????

Start with your fluids. Especially the gas before you try to start. Don't want to pump rotten gas into everything. Make sure the oil is good or just change it anyhow. Make sure it still has brakes before you drive it also...
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I'd also make sure it'll turn over by hand before cranking it with the starter. If it's sat for a long time the rings/cylinders could have surface rust Holding them up.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
Thorkle Rod

Kinda depends on your capability and your plan for the truck.
Some of these have been mentioned previously and, always remember safety first. In no particular order you might try at least these things.

Make sure the brakes are in good shape and that the drums or pads aren't locked up from rust. Repair or replace any non operative parts until the brakes work as designed.
Ensure you have a good battery.
Check to see if the motor can rotate freely and is not locked up. Some lite oil may be needed to squirt into the cylinders This may require you to remove spark plugs.
do a compression check if you have the tools.
Check the oil for color and ensure there is no water in the oil. If it is a point ignition replace the points now.
Clean and gap the plugs. Check the ignition wires R and R as required
Check all hose and belts for rot replace as necessary also ensure that the pulley grooves aren't rusted to the point where the belts are glued to the pulleys.
Connect the battery to ensure you have voltage at all of the critical points before attempting to start.
Drain the old gas if it is more than a year old. Blow out the fuel lines and check for gas leaks.
Replace fuel filter.
Squirt some oil in the cylinders
Make sure the carb is clear of foreign objects etc.
Squirt a little gas down the carb. Fire extinguisher.
Make sure you bring water and have plenty of it for the radiator.
It may be necessary to bring a portable gas source such as a second tank and fuel line.
Make sure you put everything back together this may also require cleaning connections at the battery, starter, dizzy etc.
Crank it for awhile to until you get oil pressure.
There are more items but it depends on what your plans are. Good luck nothing like firing up a sleeping giant for the first time in ages. Oh crap where is that fire extinguisher???
Dave
Thorkle Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Thorkle Rod

Tires don't forget to check all the tires and anything that rotates such as drive shaft wheels tite blah bla blah.
Thorkle Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Things ?????????????

all good ideas but if the "damn motor done blowed up" you just spent time and money for nothing. the old GMC i just dragged home was sitting since 2003 and yes it has bad gas in it but i checked the oil and coolant levels, stuck a battery in it, bumped the key to make sure it would spin, hit it with some carb cleaner and it fired up. i doesn't purr like a kitten but actually runs pretty darn good for sitting 12+ years.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
cdowns

If you've got points i'd clean and gap them
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #8
volksworld

look in the tank with a flashlight to make sure its not a rust farm...(see if the gas gauge works,a rusted sending unit won't)...much better for the engine if you crank it for a while with the coil wire off to build up oil pressure before you fire it...i prefer to see if it starts before i start throwing parts at it....in this wonderful world of low quality parts you're never sure if what your putting in is defective...a compression test before firing can be misleading,as a little loose carbon or surface rust on a valve seat will read as a low cylinder and might cause you to condemn a good motor as bad...i dont think i've ever gotten a junkyard engine that tested good initially....after they run for a minute they blow the crap out and then the test is much more accurate...at that point,tune it,change the oil and filter,gas filter and any rubber fuel lines...brake fluid absorbs moisture with age and depending how long its been sitting it'll rust pit the wheel cylinder bores and master....so even if it has a pedal now and nothings leaking yet,plan on replacing all the hydraulics asap...good luck